Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts

Must Read Post of the Day. Possibly, the Year

Yesterday I alluded to a pathetic, thuggish harassment campaign waged against several conservative bloggers.

Today, one of those bloggers - Patrick Frey (Patterico) - has written a long, thoroughly documented, and utterly chilling account of the intimidation and smear campaign carried out over the last year. http://patterico.com/2012/05/25/conv...cal-terrorism/

Please go over and read his post if you have not done so already. Send the link to your local newspaper and ask them to cover this story. Send the link to everyone you know. If you are a blogger, please write about this and encourage your readers to spread the word.

If you have been reading me for any length of time, you'll know that my approach to such stories is typically cautious: not because I'm afraid of the consequences (though Patrick's story presents ample cause for such fear) but because I am naturally wary of online disputes and any story that seems sensationalistic.

I found Patrick's account to be well documented, credible, and convincing. Normally I would not link to such a story so soon. My natural inclination is to wait for all the facts to come out. But having had a series of offline conversations with him in the past, I believe him to be a man of good character. He is someone I like and respect, and there aren't many bloggers out there I will say that about. I have no real personal connection with him - we're not close friends. But I know enough about him to have gotten a good read.

We are living in a time where some desperate people are throwing verbal Molotov cocktails at conservatives. They regularly accuse us of the most vile things on little or no evidence. Criticism of progressives is racist or sexist, regardless of whether the substance of that criticism has anything to do with skin color or gender. Opposition to or dissent from public policy decisions is likened to terrorism, rape, hijacking. Conservatism is equivalent to mental illness, pathology, or stupidity. Decades old stories about conservatives are presented as signs of latent sociopathy, while similar incidents involving liberals are dismissed as character assassination.

Speech or conduct that hints - no matter how faintly - at violence or bullying, we are told, threaten the very foundations of our Republic. But real violence, real bullying, real crimes are trivialized or ignored.

This kind of story should not and must not be ignored. http://politicsandfinance.blogspot.c...erlin-day.html

There are good people of all political persuasions in this country. Our nation was founded on the clash of ideas, values, and ways of life. It was also founded upon the rule of law. What happened yesterday on the View is evidence that people who disagree with each other still recognize evil when they see it. http://www.memeorandum.com/120524/p105#a120524p105

We must not lose sight of the fundamental decency of most Americans, regardless of how they vote. The asshats of the world - and they exist on both sides - do not set the standards for how we conduct our lives or run our country. We do.

http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcb...ad_post_3.html

Everyone Blog About Brett Kimberlin Link-Around
    May, 25, 2012 — nicedeb

I’m going to have to make this brief because I have to run in a few minutes, so I’m going to put up as much as I can, now, and add to it later this afternoon when I get home.

There are few Brett Kimberlin posts, today that deserve special attention.

Patrick Frey (Patterico) has finally shared his harrowing tale of Kimberlin and his cohort’s campaign of politicl terror and harassment against him. I don’t use the term, “terror” lightly. One of their pranks could easily have gotten Frey killed: Convicted Bomber Brett Kimberlin, Neal Rauhauser, Ron Brynaert, and Their Campaign of Political Terrorism: http://patterico.com/2012/05/25/conv...cal-terrorism/

THE NIGHT I COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED BECAUSE OF MY BLOGGING

At 12:35 a.m. on July 1, 2011, sheriff’s deputies pounded on my front door and rang my doorbell. They shouted for me to open the door and come out with my hands up.

When I opened the door, deputies pointed guns at me and ordered me to put my hands in the air. I had a cell phone in my hand. Fortunately, they did not mistake it for a gun.

They ordered me to turn around and put my hands behind my back. They handcuffed me. They shouted questions at me: IS THERE ANYONE ELSE IN THE HOUSE? and WHERE ARE THEY? and ARE THEY ALIVE?

I told them: Yes, my wife and my children are in the house. They’re upstairs in their bedrooms, sleeping. Of course they’re alive.

Deputies led me down the street to a patrol car parked about 2-3 houses away. At least one neighbor was watching out of her window as I was placed, handcuffed, in the back of the patrol car. I saw numerous patrol cars on my quiet street. There was a police helicopter flying overhead, shining a spotlight down on us as I walked towards the patrol car. Several neighbors later told us the helicopter woke them up. I saw a fire engine and an ambulance. A neighbor later told me they had a HazMat vehicle out on the street as well.

Meanwhile, police rushed into my home. They woke up my wife, led her downstairs and to the front porch, frisked her, and asked her where the children were. Then police ordered her to stand on the front porch with her hands against the wall while they entered my children’s bedrooms to make sure they were alive.

The call that sent deputies to my home was a hoax. Someone had pretended to be me. They called the police to say I had shot my wife. The sheriff’s deputies who arrived at my front door believed they were about to confront an armed man who had just shot his wife. I don’t blame the police for any of their actions. But I blame the person who made the call.

Because I could have been killed.

The weirdest part of the whole thing was that I halfway expected this might happen.

Because I was not the first one it had happened to.
    That’s just one part of a very long post that puts into perspective exactly why RS McCain felt the need to flee his home. As he told me when I spoke to him the other night, “I don’t scare easily” , but “when a someone as dangerously sociopathic as Brett Kimberlin, with his terrorist background, takes a personal interest in you - *finds out where you live, you tend to feel threatened.” http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2012/05...-may-25-video/

Glenn Beck interviewed Patterico and Aaron Worthing this morning. Compelling segments left me in tears. The Blaze spotlights Kimberlin and his terror campaign against bloggers today in an important piece here, with the audio of Patterico’s swatting spotlighted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISJn...layer_embedded
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Must Read Post of the Day. Possibly, the Year

Thanks

Over the past eight years that I’ve been blogging and operating Internet media companies, I’ve witnessed or experienced firsthand some of the most unhinged behavior against conservatives — from individual harassment and intimidation, to e-mail bombs and e-mail hackings, to troll infestations, distributed denial of service attacks, coordinated spam block attacks, and death threats.

Over the past twenty years that I’ve worked in daily opinion journalism, written books, and traveled across the country speaking in every type of venue, I’ve always believed that the most effective response to attempted censorship of conservatives is more speech, not less.

More. Louder. Bolder.

For conservatives online, it is also a time-tested truism that there is great strength in numbers. When bloggers, activists, video content creators, and Twitter users on the Right unite behind common principles — fighting jihadi propaganda, exposing corruption, calling out media bias, following the progressive money trail, holding the Republican Party’s feet to the fire, etc. — we can accomplish uncommon things.

Over the past year, Aaron Walker (who blogged as “Aaron Worthing”) http://allergic2bull.blogspot.com/20...how-brett.html , Patterico http://patterico.com/index.php?s=kim...&submit=Search , Liberty Chick http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journal...stic-Terrorist , and now Stacy McCain http://theothermccain.com/ have been targeted by convicted Speedway bomber Brett Kimberlin because they dared to mention his criminal past or assisted others who did. The late Andrew Breitbart warned about Kimberlin and company. http://theothermccain.com/2012/05/18...ett-kimberlin/

I have spoken directly with both Patterico and Aaron about their ongoing battles.

The mainstream press, not just the conservative blogosphere, needs to hear and report their stories.

This is a convoluted, ongoing nightmare that combines abuse of the court system, workplace intimidation, serial invasions of privacy, perjury, and harassment of family members. McCain was forced to move with his family out of his house this week, and has just gotten a small taste of what Aaron and Patterico have been enduring over the past year. Aaron and his wife were fired from their jobs after their employer feared the office would be targeted next. Convicted bomber Kimberlin has filed bogus “peace orders” against Aaron, when it is the Walkers who are the victims, not the perpetrators.

And Patterico’s plight will send chills up your spine when he is ready to tell it.

Institutional inertia, incompetence, and apathy among law enforcement officials on both coasts have exacerbated the victims’ suffering. It has moved far beyond a partisan or political story to a bottomless, Kafka-esque morass. And, via investigative journalist Matthew Vadum, it certainly doesn’t help that “progressive,” left-wing foundations that have funded Kimberlin continue to look the other way. https://www.capitalresearch.org/2012...ation-funding/

Ted Frank at Point of Law summed it up: http://www.pointoflaw.com/archives/2012/05/framed.php
    “A scary tale of what can go wrong if one makes the wrong enemy of someone willing to persistently abuse the civil and criminal legal system, and how poorly the legal system protects those victims.”
    Law blog Popehat wrote: http://www.popehat.com/2012/05/18/ch...-of-crazyevil/
    Aaron’s story is quite long. (We had a tiny, tiny piece of it here.) But he supports it with primary documents and video recordings, and ultimately it’s a wrenching depiction of how the system doesn’t prevent crazy and/or evil people from victimizing innocents — a depiction of how the system can be the instrument of such victimization. It’s not a pretty story, but it’s worth reading.
    Dan Collins has a very useful summary of Aaron’s plight and the obliviousness of Maryland prosectors: http://www.conservativecommune.com/2...aron-worthing/

That Kimberlin lied repeatedly in his sworn charges isn’t a surprise, but it is a deep disappointment that the Maryland prosecutor seems to think there’s no substantial public benefit to be procured by making wannabe mass murderer Kimberlin pay for his false testimony in trying to frame blogger Aaron Worthing. My opinion is that people who attempt to use the law and the legal system as a means of tortious aggression towards other citizens should be summarily sentenced on conviction to penalties at least twice as high as those they’ve contemplated for their targets.

But it’s Kimberlin’s most recent actions that warrant attention and a strong wall to deter future abuse. Patterico writes: harasses-stacy-mccain-by-contacting-his-wifes-employer/

First, this isn’t about dredging up a crime that happened 34 years ago. Kimberlin has done plenty since then. He made claims about selling pot to Dan Quayle — claims that the lefty author of a book about Kimberlin believes are false. He deceptively avoided paying a wrongful death judgment to the widow of the man he blew up. He sued a small-time blogger in 2011 for telling the truth about him, and made several false statements about his history under oath in an effort to win a large cash judgment. He made several provably false statements regarding his encounter with Aaron Walker, in an effort to get the State of Maryland to prosecute Walker. He has regularly defamed, harassed, and stalked people who criticized him.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg, folks.

Several blogs have already stepped up to the plate (links to all at the end of this post), but as Ace of Spades writes: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/329478.php

Cowards die a thousand deaths.

I already died 40 cowards’ deaths this past week. That’s enough for me. I will die no more of them.

Am I to understand only the smallest, least-well-financed bloggers are going to be covering this? While large media franchises with lawyers on retainer all decide “we’d rather let tiny one-man blogs take the lead on this?”

Does that make sense?
    No. That won’t do.

For those of you who are old fogies in the blogosphere, you’ll remember the “blogburst” concept — hundreds of bloggers of all sizes getting together to push an idea or action item. In this case, a blogburst would raise the cost of the online terrorists’ speech-squelching business immensely. It’s a collective show of support and force.

Along those same lines, Stranahan has proposed that Friday be “Everybody Blog About Brett Kimberlin Day.” Even a simple link, e-mail, or tweet will do.

I will join and I hope you will find a way to spread word about this horrifying saga, too (it gets worse, believe me). The targeted victims — past, present, and future — will need not only media support, but sustained financial support. A few good and brave philanthropists could come in handy right about now. Send me an email if you can help.

Telling the truth on the Internet shouldn’t mean risking your job or your life, or the well-being and safety of your loved ones. Make your voices heard if you agree.

http://michellemalkin.com/2012/05/23...tive-bloggers/

Please remember: Kimberlin is a radical, violent, lying, dangerous felon. This is literally a matter of life and death, freedom vs. terrorism. We side with life and freedom.

In political blogging, we often toss around highly charged words with great abandon. We say politicians we don’t like are scary and crazy and dangerous.

Brett Kimberlin is actually dangerous.

Full stop. No metaphor. No exaggeration. Brett Kimberlin is dangerous. As in — he blew up bombs and police suspected he did it to cover up a murder. People in Indiana tell me that witnesses disappeared during the trial. Worse, Kimberlin has shown no remorse for the bombings and went to great lengths to make the lives of his victims miserable.

Please, do not lose sight of this. This isn’t a time for loose rhetoric. This is real. It’s real and it’s serious in a way that many ‘political stories’ frankly are not. In that sense, this story is way beyond politics.

http://leestranahan.com/brett-kimber...n-no-seriously
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks
    Patterico: Brett Kimberlin’s Latest “Peace Order” Against Aaron Walker Is Retaliation for Truthful Speech

One of the things that Kimberlin complains about is that Aaron has called Kimberlin a terrorist…

“Terrorism” is a fair way to describe what Brett Kimberlin did to the town of Speedway, Indiana in 1978, when he set off eight bombs over the course of several days. Kimberlin has been convicted of those bombings, one of which blew off the limbs of a Vietnam veteran named Carl DeLong, who committed suicide as a result of his injuries. Brett Kimberlin earned the right to be called a convicted domestic terrorist, and he should not be marching off to court complaining about it when someone calls him just that.

It is beyond the scope of this post to detail every way in which Kimberlin’s peace order is misleading and deceptive. Kimberlin complains that Aaron spoke of purchasing a gun, implying that Aaron’s statement was aggressive — when Aaron actually said he had bought a gun to defend himself. Kimberlin claims that Aaron is responsible for “alerts” coming to his email inbox, suggesting Aaron is emailing him, when in fact the “alerts” Kimberlin is talking about are Google alerts. If you write about this guy on the Internet, he may run to a judge and say you are causing abusive alerts to come to his email.

You might say: what’s the harm in getting a peace order? I have watched this play out in other venues and I know just what Kimberlin is up to. As soon as he gets a “peace order,” he will run back to court the very next time Aaron mentions his name in public. That means that Kimberlin asserts the right to abuse the court process to harass Aaron — and if Aaron tells the world how Kimberlin is abusing the court process, Kimberlin will claim that as a violation of the peace order and try to have Aaron held in contempt of court.

Kimberlin and his crew have relentlessly harassed Aaron, me, and others over the course of the last several months. It is not harassment for us to tell the world what happened to us. It could happen to any of you. His supporters have outed or threatened to out commenters to this very site. They talk about wives, children, and fathers of bloggers and commenters. They ceaselessly abuse everyone they can who speaks the truth about Kimberlin’s past.

Ultimately, this is a free speech issue. Kimberlin and his group of thugs have done their level best to attack everyone in the blogosphere who wrote anything negative about him. Now the blogosphere is starting to wake up, and there are so many critics he can’t possibly intimidate them all.

http://patterico.com/2012/05/22/bret...uthful-speech/

Washington Examiner, Mark Tapscott -

The enemies of free speech and thought have lately turned to more subtle tools of suppression than merely shouting down speakers. Among these are extortionary threats to launch false charges of racism against companies that support politically incorrect groups, such as the American Legislative Exchange Council.

But far more sinister is the tactic adopted by Brett Kimberlin, an activist and the founder of the group Velvet Revolution who was convicted in 1981 of exploding eight bombs in 1978 in Speedway, Ind. One of his bombs blew off the leg of a man who subsequently committed suicide.

Nowadays, Kimberlin targets conservative bloggers like Aaron Worthing and Robert Stacy McCain in Maryland, and Patrick Frey of Patterico’s Pontifications in California. Why? For publishing facts about Kimberlin’s criminal record.

Kimberlin harasses his targets by, among many other ways, filing false charges in courts that require expensive, time-consuming litigation, disrupting his targets’ workplaces, and dropping dark hints about spouses and kids.

…Unless these tactics are vigorously repudiated by the First Amendment’s friends across the ideological spectrum, our Constitution will become little more than a parchment barrier to oppression.

The groups that Kimberlin has founded and associated with since his release from prison have received more than $1.5 million in grant support, much of it from liberal foundations — the Tides Foundation, Streisand Foundation and Heinz Foundation — according to Matthew Vadum of the Capital Research Center. Vadum wonders if they know (or care) how their donors’ money is being spent.

So count me today with Michelle Malkin, Instapundit’s Glenn Harlan Reynolds, blogger Lee Stranahan, PJMedia’s Tatler and many others with one message for the Brett Kimberlins among us: Get your hands off our First Amendment.

This isn’t about Left and Right, it’s about liberty versus tyranny.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...endment/650436

I know many of you don’t blog, but don’t worry – it really doesn’t have to be a post at all: Tweet about him, write about him on Facebook, post in comment threads and on message boards. I’m using the hashtag #BrettKimberlin at Twitter because no one has indicated otherwise about any other hashtag. Why do we need to do this? Because not only do we need to support our fellow conservatives, but it is also IMPERATIVE that we show Kimberlin via our words that we will NOT be intimidated by his bull sh*t attempts to squelch free speech.

http://sistertoldjah.com/archives/20...lin-reposting/

Ironically, the man whose credibility is in question now makes a “living” by calling into question, the credibility of others. Today, Kimberlin is the director and founder of “Justice Through Music (JTM),” a non-profit organization that “uses famous musicians and bands to organize, educate and activate young people about the importance of civil rights, human rights and voting.” Since 2005, JTM collected $1.8 million in contributions from an illustrious list of donors including the George Soros-funded Tides Foundation, liberal songstress Barbara Streisand and Senator John Kerry’s wife, Teresa Heinz-Kerry.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/read...-into-silence/

Thanks
    Letter from an Indiana reader about Brett Kimberlin
    By Michelle Malkin • May 25, 2012 10:05 AM

Hi:

I had no idea that foul Brett Kimberlin was still around, causing trouble. Your posted info was quite a shock. That guy should still either be locked up, or he should have been pushed into a dark corner to slink away and stay hidden in the dark.

I lived in the county N. of Indpls when the “Speedway Bomber” was creating so much havoc in Speedway, which is a separate community surrounded by Indianapolis. His work was just that of a terrorist, because no one person or business was the point of his attacks; they were random, and that is why so many people were so upset.

To show how “smart” he was, at the time, he drove a used Mercedes sedan, and he was having trouble with it, so he took the car to the big Mercedes dealer in Indpls, and he just told them to fix all his problem, and he gave them the keys to everything. One of my friends at the time was about the best Mercedes mechanic there was, and I knew him through his sports car racing, in which many of my friends particpated. So he worked on the car, and he had to get into the trunk, and he had the keys and permission, so there was no legal question about his right to access. When he opened the trunk, he immediately saw explosive material and what looked like bomb making equipment. He and the dealership were so alarmed, they called the Indpls PD, who recognized some of the components as what they were looking for, so they contacted the Speedway PD. It took a lot of police work to make the case, but they finally did and got a conviction of Kimberlin. He was the crazy, irrational bomber who terrorized the entire area.

I also worked with the daughter of the man who was so seriously injured, and was in so much pain, that he killed himself. The daughter never got over it; the pain and loss of her father bothered her all the time, and she finally ended up quitting her job, saying she couldn’t concentrate on her work anymore. The damage of such crazy people goes on and on.

Yes, our justice system let us down again. I can’t believe that crazy guy is still causing trouble as was described. I believe it, but such should be impossible.

Decent, normal-thinking people need to stick together.

Thx for info.

Bill [redacted] (former Indiana Circuit court judge)

Update: A tribute to Carl DeLong
    Blogger Dustin writes a moving tribute to Carl DeLong, the victim of the Kimberlin Speedway bombing who took his life and left behind a despondent daughter. Read it here. http://dust92.blogspot.com/2012/05/i...rl-delong.html

This is the archive of Liberty Chick Mandy Nagy’s investigative work on Brett Kimberlin. In a just world, she’d have a Pulitzer Prize. http://www.breitbart.com/Search?q=ki...iberty%20chick

Related background:

Time Magazine — The Wizard of Odd. Reader Karen writes: Read the description of Brett Kimberlin in this 2007 Time magazine article — “Despite a spotty past…” http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...article?chn=us This may be the most disgusting thing that publication has ever written.

Ed Barnes, Fox News 2010: Leftist Blogger’s Criminal Past Raises Questions About His Real Intent http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...s-real-intent/

http://michellemalkin.com/2012/05/25...ett-kimberlin/

Thanks
    Civility Fails For A Reason
    Brett Kimberlin Refuses Arbitration
    Friday, May 25th at 2:30PM EDT

The American political system (and Democracy in general) are ways by which potentially violent conflicts over deeply-held personal beliefs can be waged in non-violent fashion. When Democracy breaks down, or certain people think they can take a short-cut, the inevitable result is a reversion to violence. This has been coming for a long time. It may well get worse. I blog under a pseudonym for a reason.

(HT:RMJ 25May2012)
    I understand Brett Kimberlin. I grok where he and his ilk get their motivation and why they ultimately fall off the beam. There is a process by which civility breaks down and Democracy fails. I meant what I said above about Democracy. At its core, our democratic system is a dispute arbitration process that aims to stem violent conflict over our deepest and most fundamental disagreements. It only works until one party to the conflict stops willingly accepting unfavorable results from the arbitration.

Like the Unabomber, Eric Rudolph, Anders Breivik and Bill Ayers before him, Kimberlin has reacted to the fundamental fact that society rejects that which he believes in. Steeped in egoistic self-love and immaturity, Kimberlin has responded to this rejection with violence. He knows no god but himself and seeks divine retribution.

One particular aspect of the society that angers Brett Kimberlin, Dominus et Deus, is free speech. Why should this push Herr Kimberlin’s irascibility button? He has a right to free speech and is even bankrolled in the endeavor by The Tides Foundation.

Sadly, Mr. Kimberlin, that speech travels in two directions. People get to read Repair_Man_Jack’s words of wisdom* and weigh that profundity in the balance. As Rush once whimsically sang. “Some of our views are spacious, others merely spaced.” I deal with the occasional smack-downs that come my way while blogging because I’ve been informed that all feedback (even of the negative variety) is a gift.

Mr. Kimberlin is more particular in his acceptance of presents from others. He only accepts uncritical adulation (and perhaps TGI Friday’s gift cards). Strongly-presented views athwart his own are met with the hostility with which the ruling council of Hamas would greet a Nativity Scene. This hostility manifested itself in a particularly noxious form when he decided to harass well-known and effective Conservative Blogger Patterico. Erick and Dan provide sufficient detail in their front page posts. “Swatting” can now be added to the vocabulary of the political dirty trickster.

I see this turn of events as a particular turn of the screw that is in no way shocking. When hardliners don’t get what they want peacefully, they stop being peaceful. The Brett Kimberlins of the world love democracy when they are winning. It involves the other side’s capitulation without a shot being fired. Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan once remarked, “Democracy is like a streetcar. When you come to your stop, you get off.” As soon as Kimberlin’s side started losing momentum, he decided it was time to get off.

Thus I write today to respond to Brett Kimberlin in the only fashion with which a civilized man can properly respond. I put my ideas and beliefs up against his. My mind challenges his thuggish reliance on brute force and intimidation. I believe revealing Brett Kimberlin for what he is and exposing that which he believes will destroy him as an effective agent of intimidation. Brett Stevens of Amerika.org in a post entitled “Not yours” describes best how we should handle the Brett Kimberlins of the world. http://www.amerika.org/social-realit...ron=1337968744
    …we reserve the right to deny others entrance into our homes. We also reserve the right to deny them entrance into our bodily orifices, or to give them control over our minds. Not theirs.

When a liberal is confronted with an unemotional and rational “not yours,” their extreme behavior in response seems so out of place that it makes them look insane. The radical professor is suddenly a masked anarchist smashed the windows of stores he’d love to shop at.

In an instant, liberalism is debunked. All the fancy language about helping others, progress, tolerance, compassion, etc. goes out the window. It is replaced by a more concrete vision: a child having a tantrum because it is denied something that someone else achieved.
    So I conclude by telling Brett Kimberlin that control over our safety and our right to speak freely is not his. It never was and it never will be. America is a Democracy. He is free to disagree with everything I think, all that I say and most of what I fundamentally believe. That does not entitle him to harass, threaten or deprive me (or Patterico) of the rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

*- People like Kimberlin are why I blog under a psuedonym.
    http://www.redstate.com/repair_man_j...-for-a-reason/

Thanks
    5/27/2012
    Brett Kimberlin Gets His Wikipedia Entry Removed
    — Patterico @ 12:17 am

[UPDATE: I have heard once again from the Wikipedia editor who removed Brett Kimberlin's Wikipedia entry. He refuses to tell me who claimed Kimberlin had been the victim of a harassment campaign. He evidently has no regrets about his decision even though Kimberlin has now been exposed as making repeated bogus claims of harassment.

Meanwhile, Wikipedia is moving to restore an entry after an absence of several months, and currently links Kimberlin to an entry on the Speedway Bombings. Over 700 versions of the article await review.]

I have described Brett Kimberlin’s campaign of harassment against his critics as “brass-knuckles reputation management.” The idea is to intimidate and harass anyone daring to bring up Kimberlin’s extensive criminal history. There are other examples I’m aware of that can’t be fully told for various reasons, although I hope the victims choose to tell them.

But one of the most concerning aspects of this reputation maintenance campaign is the way history is rewritten. And one example of that is the way that Kimberlin’s Wikipedia entry was whisked away from view on September 14, 2011.

Let’s look at the reason the editor gave for the deletion:

Oh, really? There was a harassment campaign against Brett Kimberlin, was there?

And here I thought it was the other way around. Here I thought he was the guy harassing others. Silly me!

And we certainly can’t discuss in public the reason that accurate facts are being whisked away from a source that 4 out of 5 suckers consider reliable.

The idea that there is a harassment campaign against Brett Kimberlin is a reputation management theory that has been pushed for months by Brett Kimberlin, Neal Rauhauser, and Ron Brynaert — three people who engaged in the extraoardinary and very real harassment campaign against myself and other critics of Brett Kimberlin.

So where did the Wikipedia editor get the idea that there was a harassment campaign against Brett Kimberlin? In early May 2012, I decided to write the editor, Richard Symonds, and ask why the page was deleted.

Our dialogue follows.

I wrote:
    Hello. My name is Patrick Frey and I operate a blog at patterico.com. I am interesting in knowing why you deleted the Wikipedia page on Brett Kimberlin. I have seen the deleted page and it was quite well sourced, with links to TIME Magazine and other news publications.

There was an entire book about this individual written by Mark Singer, a New Yorker writer. There is simply a wealth of reliable information out there about Kimberlin.

I read the reasoning for the deletion and did not understand it. I wonder if you could enlighten me. Thanks very much.

Patrick Frey
    Patterico.com

Symonds responded (emphasis mine):

Patrick,

I deleted the article back in September as a volunteer, because it served as an attack page. It was sourced, but was also unduly negative, and written by people who “had an axe to grind”. Although some of the facts were sourced, there was an undertone of maliciousness in the way that the article was written.

Mr Kimberlin was not a paragon of virtue, but the article as it stood simply painted him as a man with no positive qualities at all, which is obviously problematic in a neutral encyclopedia.
    I responded:

If the facts are sourced and accurate, perhaps the negative picture is accurate. Mr. Kimberlin is a man convicted of violent crimes. Portrayals of violent criminals tend to be largely negative, do they not? It sets a disturbing precedent to remove accurate facts from a neutral encyclopedia because those facts portray a violent convicted criminal in a negative light.

Also, how do you know the authors had an “axe to grind”? Who made this claim to you?

And why would that matter if the facts are accurate?
    Symonds haughtily blew me off:

Patrick,

I’ve answered your questions and I have no real interest in discussing foreign politics with a blogger by email on my day off. The decision I made was backed up by others, the creators of the article were banned by the community, and I barely even remember the while episode. The whole event was entirely run of the mill, the sort of thing that happens on Wikipedia every day, and I have no real interest in left or right wing politics in North America.

All the best,
    Richard Symonds
    Note that he didn’t explain who had complained about the entry. My response suggested that I planned to blog about this:

Politics? I did not say a word about politics. This has nothing to do with politics. I simply asked why a factual article was removed. I find it odd that you would bring up politics when that has nothing whatsoever to do with what I asked you.

You say you answered my questions, but in point of fact you have not. I asked a couple of follow-up questions which were not answered at all: 1) who told you the authors of the article had an “axe to grind” and 2) why would that matter if the facts were accurate?

You’re entitled to refuse to answer my questions, but please don’t say you have answered all my questions when you haven’t.

If you want to wait until it’s no longer your day off, be my guest. I do not plan to publish anything about this today anyway.
    In response, this Wikipedia editor Googled me, found several false claims made about me — mainly from Kimberlin’s band of defamers — and presented them as examples of “reliable” facts:

You are a right-of-centre blogger who has an interest in a left-of-centre individual. You’ve also been threatened with legal action by him, it seems – in my opinion, politics, and general ‘bad blood’ is involved here. I am answering your questions below, although I do so as a volunteer, and you must be aware that my memory of this non-event is hazy at best:

The community decided that the authors have an axe to grind due to their conduct. One of the authors behaved in a threatening manner towards a new editor. None of the editors showed any interest whatsoever in editing about other topics, even when asked to stop editing about Mr Kimberlin. Their interest in publicising their views about Mr Kimberlin (and his family) was more important to them than the general advancement of knowledge, ergo, they had a ‘conflict of interest’.

Furthermore, their comments towards new users – described by an uninvolved administrator as ‘truly chilling’ – showed that they harmed our project, rather than helped it

The problem is, I would have thought, obvious. Let me give you an example, using phrases I’ve literally just picked up out of Google:

“John Patrick Frey is a blogger and LA city prosecutor obsessed with the liberal bias of the Los Angeles Times. He has a long memory, especially for all things LA Dog Trainer Times. He has been reported as having harassed Jamie Gold, and has been accused of running a “infamous right wing extremist hate blog”".

They’re all facts that can be backed up by reliable sources, and they have a hint of truth about them, but they paint a biased and patently untrue version of events. The way that sentences in a neutral article are constructed is just as important – if not more so – as the facts out of which the sentence is built. The article, as written, had that sort of problem.

I’d be interested to know what version of the deleted article you have – there are two flying round, one of which is less ‘problematic’ than the other!
    Again, emphasis is mine.

Thanks
    “Reliable sources,” eh? I responded:
    In your response, you construct a description of me that you say is composed of “facts that can be backed up by reliable sources.” Yet your description is nothing of the sort. I am a blogger. I am not an “LA city prosecutor.” [I am an L.A. County, not city, prosecutor, speaking in his personal capacity, as always. --ed.] Calling me “obsessed” is not a “fact” but a characterization. Calling my letters to the LAT Readers’ Rep “harassment” is a tendentious characterization and not a “fact.” Calling my blog an “extremist hate blog” is a tendentious characterization and not a “fact.”

Please tell me what “reliable sources” you used to determine these “facts” about me.

There is a difference between tendentious claims and factual claims that can be supported by reliable sources in the media.

For example: one version of Kimberlin’s Wikipedia entry said: “In 1981, Kimberlin was convicted of a series of bombings that took place in Speedway, Indiana in 1978.” That is simply a matter of public record — as are his convictions for drug smuggling, perjury, and impersonating a federal officer. Yet you deleted these facts from Wikipedia.

If Charlie Manson were to file or threaten lawsuits against anyone who has ever written about his criminal history, that would not change the facts about his criminal history. I am not asking Wikipedia to rely on my blog for the facts regarding Brett Kimberlin. But there are numerous court decisions, articles in mainstream media, and even a published book by a New Yorker writer, testifying to the facts surrounding Kimberlin’s record. For Wikipedia to whisk the facts regarding his record away based on the arguments you have made is Orwellian, and casts serious question on the reliability of Wikipedia as a source for information.

I am attaching a screenshot from one version of the Wikipedia article. It appears to be pure fact. It contains nothing about Kimberlin’s family, just facts. The one opinion I see is that his claims about selling pot to Dan Quayle are called “false.” That cannot be established as fact, and rather than deleting the article outright, editing out the word “false” would have been the truly neutral and factual action to take.

Have you ever heard from a fellow named Neal Rauhauser concerning Brett Kimberlin? Is he one of your “reliable sources” for information about me?
    Here is the screenshot I sent Symonds of a version of the Wikipedia entry I found on someone’s Facebook page.

Once again, Symonds blew me off:

Patrick,

I’m afraid that our views on neutrality differ rather wildly. I’m not really sure that I can help you any further without inflaming something which, for me, is a non-issue. As a result, you should probably leave a note at the Wikipedia Administrators Noticeboard if you have serious concerns about the actions I took as a volunteer in this case.

I stand by the actions I took in my capacity as a volunteer administrator.
    I responded:

Nah, I’ll just blog about it instead. I think people will find this “non-issue” very revealing indeed, as well as the questions of mine (like the one about Neal Rauhauser) that you have refused to answer.

In his final email, Symonds claimed he had never heard of “Neal Rauthouser” — which is not how Rauhauser’s name is spelled. (Was he seeking deniability or did he just not try to spell it accurately?) He also agreed that “facts are facts” but that “in this case we didn’t think they were represented accurately.”

In an odd twist, Ron Brynaert — who has furiously been portraying himself as an enemy of Rauhauser’s and a critic of Kimberlin’s, despite the similar nature of his tactics and theirs — wrote a post about the deletion of the Wikipedia article. He wrote his own version and submitted it. I don’t recommend going to Brynaert’s site, but here is a safe link to a Google cache of Brynaert’s post, where you can read this amusing passage from Brynaert’s submission:

Since October of 2010, conservatives have hounded Kimberlin about his bombing conviction, after articles were published at a website owned by Andrew Breitbart and other conservative blogs that questioned donations to his non-profit. Lawsuits and back-and-forth online battles have transpired between progressives backing Kimberlin and bloggers on the right ever since.

Brett Kimberlin could not have written it better himself. According to Brynaert’s submission, Kimberlin is being “hounded” by conservatives, and his extensive harassment campaign against us is really nothing but a blog war between the left and the right.
    That’s exactly what Kimberlin wants you to think. Also from Brynaert’s entry:

During his imprisonment, one of the victims from the bombings killed himself, and Kimberlin was held liable for the death and a $1.61 million dollar judgment was awarded to the widow. An appeals court later ruled he wasn’t directly responsible for the suicide, and the judgment was reduced to $360,000 but it’s unclear if Kimberlin ever paid anything.
    Yeah, except that the judgment of that intermediate court of appeals in 1993 http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...imberlin&hl=en was itself reversed in 1994, by the Indiana Supreme Court. http://174.123.24.242/leagle/xmlResu...WAR2-1986-2006

In the present case, the complaint alleged intentional injury. Kimberlin’s federal criminal conviction, through collateral estoppel, discussed in Issue 1(c), supra, establishes his conduct as malicious and thus intentional rather than negligent. Moreover, Carl’s DeLong’s death, although occurring more than four years after the explosion, was within the scope of harm intended by Kimberlin’s intentional criminal conduct. Under such circumstances, we decline to treat suicide as independent intervening cause protecting a highly culpable defendant from liability for his victim’s death. We hold that an action may be maintained for death or injury from a suicide or suicide attempt where a defendant’s willful tortious conduct was intended to cause a victim physical harm and where the intentional tort is a substantial factor in bringing about the suicide.

[T]he jury finding of damages in the amount of $1,250,000.00 does not appear outrageous at first blush. The verdict does not indicate passion, prejudice, or partiality rather than reasoned assessment. We decline to find the wrongful death judgment to be excessive.

. . . .

As to the damages awarded for Mrs. DeLong’s separate personal injury claim, the defendant asserts that the $360,000 verdict was approximately 18 times her special damages and therefore excessive. In response, the plaintiff notes evidence demonstrating the particularly painful nature of her injuries from the bomb blast and her ordeal during treatment, including multiple surgeries and permanent continuing pain and impairment established by medical testimony. . . . In the present case we find no basis for finding the verdict for Mrs. DeLong’s injuries to be excessive as a matter of law.
    $1,250,000.00 plus $360,000 is $1.61 million. The state’s highest court upheld that judgment. Once again Ron Brynaert is seen to be misrepresenting the facts in a way that benefits Brett Kimberlin.

It’s almost as if Kimberlin’s supporters tried to whisk away any mention of him on Wikipedia — and when they got caught, tried to replace the entry with something that sounded neutral, but actually benefited his point of view.

Almost!

Anyway, since yesterday’s blogburst, it appears that all of a sudden Wikipedia is taking a second look at Symonds’s deletion. On Symonds’s talk page, someone writes:

There’s a lot of discussion about Brett recently, and it must be surprising for individuals to find no article about him.
    Symonds the Wikipedia editor responds in part:

That’s fine, but I recommend you have a look at the related deletion review. The previous article was written by some people with rather a large axe to grind! I’ve had a couple of emails from right-wing bloggers, but nothing from anyone I’d trust to write a neutral article.
    Never mind that the original article was almost entirely accurate! Another person chimes in and says:
    Going through the deletion review, I’m not seeing a clear cut consensus to support the deletion. It seems like the action primarily taken because of objections to the users who had created the article in the first place. Also, I think the condition to “start from scratch” is overly burdensome. Yes, the article is almost entirely negative, but there’s nothing stopping someone from adding balance once the article is restored. Keep in mind that the behavior being alleged against Kimberlin involves inappropriate and extreme efforts to suppress negative but accurate reporting on his past. If you are in possession of ORTS information complaining about “harassment”, please note that many have accused Kimberlin of filing bad-faith harassment claims in the past.
    No kidding!

By the way, I wrote Symonds again to ask him the question he never really answered: who told him about this supposed harassment campaign. Oddly enough, he has not responded.

It seems like our little blogburst might be working to get history re-rewritten to conform itself to the truth, rather than the “truth” as determined by a small band of thugs determined to intimidate anyone who tells the actual truth.

Who knew that telling the truth was so dangerous and so difficult?
    http://patterico.com/2012/05/27/bret...entry-removed/

Thanks
    comments

I hear Wikipedia is going to delete their article on Adolf Hitler, on account of it’s too negative.

Way too much talk about murdering millions, and not nearly enough talk about the good stuff Adolf did.

9.I was impressed by the fact that wiki editors don’t really know what facts are. It suggests to me that the volunteers are not well qualified decision makers. That ability lies further up the chain at wiki i would imagine.

What’s weird is how he keeps throwing at you the idea that this is “foreign”. Who knew he was somewhere else– it’s the world wide web! And if he doesn’t care what’s happening in countries other than his own, what’s he doing (volunteering or otherwise) editing wikipedias about them?

Would this guy advocate having no entries about an IRA bombing spree because it was too negative?

The liberals who infest Wikipedia also deleted the page about the great Bill Whittle.

>Mr. Symonds has< “no interest in discussing foreign politics with a blogger on my day off”.
    Mr. Symonds, do have any interest in discussing spotted owls, the Canary Islands,or any number of subjects you may be asked to edit in
    your capacity at wikipedia? Probably not, but that’s your job. Oh that’s right, you volunteered for it. If you volunteered to do a job, then do it. You chose to volunteer for the job. Nobody forced you.

27.Truth seems to be in the eye of the ideological beholder .

Thanks
    Stacy McCain's Kimberlin Story a Must Read
    By Jeffrey Lord on 5.29.12 @ 12:13PM

Stacy McCain's story nearby, "Terror By Any Other Name," is yet one more piece of evidence of just how far around the bend the American Left has gone.
    http://spectator.org/archives/2012/0...any-other-name

The saga of Brett Kimberlin as Stacy explains it is in reality a microcosm of the leftist mindset that has been more than evident since the 1960s at a minimum. In fact, as I have detailed in an earlier piece "The Obama Thugocracy" http://spectator.org/archives/2012/0...ama-thugocracy -- and I am not alone in using the term -- intimidation and violence are staples of the left in general. Two years ago Andrea Tantaros (now a star of Fox's The Five) used the same title in her Fox column, and she had her own list of examples, saying: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/...union-protest/

From the G.M. bondholders, to the Black Panthers at polling stations, to ACORN to these assaults on private citizens, Obama is running a Hugo Chavez-style thugocracy. Like Chavez, he gets non-official "allies" to act as his henchmen and do the intimidation work. Obama provides the narrative and tells the story of "greed" while the SEIU provides the muscle. This is about power, not prosperity.
    As I've mentioned, from the moment the blood thirsty French Revolutionaries began carting their enemies to the guillotine, on down through this or that socialist regime disguised as Russian Communists, German Nazis, Italian Fascists or Chinese Maoists -- the reflexive urge to intimidate opponents if not kill them outright has been present in all. In its modified American form this has shown up in varied venues across the decades. Here's a partial list -- a partial list just from 1969!!!!

The Haymarket Police Statue Bombing -- Chicago, October 5, 1969: By the Weathermen.
    Days of Rage, a three day orgy of violence attacking cars, houses, a barber shop and luxury homes -- Chicago, October 8-11, 1969: By the Weathermen.
    Sniper attack on Cambridge, Massachusetts police station -- November 8, 1969: By the Weathermen.
    Bombing of Chicago police cars -- December 6, 1969: By the Weather Underground.
    And on….and on…and on. The list, trailing into the 1980s, is long. Very long, as seen here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...te_note-b325-5

In today's world we have the violence from Occupy Wall Street. Not to mention the attempts to remove Rush Limbaugh from the air, the moves to "Stop Beck" …or Lou Dobbs or Pat Buchanan or Limbaugh advertiser Mark Stevens or Romney contributor Frank VanderSloot.

Now comes Stacy's tale of Brett Kimberlin, and these two disturbing tales of SWATting. One from Patrick Frey (the blogger Patterico) -- a frightening must-read tale of being SWATted -- and Sunday's SWATting of Red State's Erick Erikson, a CNN contributor.

All of this, I would suggest, is of a piece. Glimpses into the intellectual machinery of the Left….from the French Revolutionaries of 1789 right on down to the actions attributed to Mr. Kimberlin, if indeed he is responsible as so many are suggesting. Our friend and TAS Founder Bob Tyrrell has a book out right this minute titled The Death of Liberalism. The agenda of the Left in the Obama Era is "Stealth Socialism" says Bob. And in the hands of what he calls the "Infantile Left" the actions like all those listed above are what are collectively responsible for driving the number of self-identified liberals from a dominant majority to a mere 20% of the American public. No wonder.

Last Friday there was a Everybody Blog Brett Kimberlin Day. Alas, news of this reached my precincts too late (and a hat tip to TAS commenter "Booger" for the alert.)

It's very safe to say The American Spectator supports free speech.

Had I known early enough I would certainly have blogged in on the subject. So consider it now done, if late. And a decided thumbs up to Michelle Malkin for yet another display of moral courage when the chips are down.

And make sure to read my colleague Stacy McCain's story. You can be sure I'm on his side.

http://spectator.org/blog/2012/05/29...imberlin-story

Thanks
    The Brett Kimberlin nightmare continues: Aaron Walker in custody
    By Michelle Malkin • May 29, 2012 01:48 PM

The world is upside-down.
    http://twitchy.com/2012/05/29/blogge...ed-in-maryland

Technosnarl’s narrative of what happened in the courtroom: When Your Honor, This Man Is a Convicted Domestic Terrorist Is Not Enough http://www.munseys.com/technosnarl/?p=1295

In 1981, Kimberlin was sentenced to 50 years in federal prison for his crimes, including the 1978 terrorist bombing that brutally maimed Vietnam veteran Carl DeLong

So, why the h'ell is he out of jail before 2031?

Was it 50 dog-years?!

There is no justice in our “justice” system.

Thanks
    Via The Other McCain: http://theothermccain.com/2012/05/29...imberlin-case/

Aaron Walker, whose complaint against convicted terrorist Brett Kimberlin became a conservative cause célèbre this past week, was reportedly taken into custody today after a court hearing in Rockville, Maryland.

One person who attended the hearing in Montgomery County District Court said that Kimberlin asserted that Walker’s continued blogging represented a violation of a “peace order” Kimberlin had obtained against the Virginia attorney, who says Kimberlin tried to “frame” him for assault earlier this year.

During the course of the hearing — which reportedly lasted about an hour — Judge C.J. Vaughey appeared to become increasingly hostile toward Walker, who was taken into custody when the hearing concluded.

On Thursday, May 17, Walker published a 28,000-word account of his experience being targeted by Kimberlin, which soon caught the attention of leading figures in online New Media, including University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Reynolds, who writes the popular Instapundit blog, and bestselling author Michelle Malkin, who warned her readers, “Please remember: Kimberlin is a radical, violent, lying, dangerous felon.”

UPDATE: According to a source, Kimberlin claimed during the hearing that he has received death threats as a result of Walker’s violation of the peace order. In 1981, Kimberlin was sentenced to 50 years in federal prison for his crimes, including the 1978 terrorist bombing that brutally maimed Vietnam veteran Carl DeLong.

Walker Peace Order: SHALL NOT ABUSE, SHALL NOT CONTACT, SHALL NOT ENTER RESIDENCE. Please advise which of these means “cannot talk about”