Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last

Thanks
    Really, cameras to see their trays. I have a cheaper solution, look in the trash.

Me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts
    Students to see healthier school lunches under new USDA rule
    sUnder new USDA rules school lunches will become healthier.

NBC's Rehema Ellis reports. By Sylvia Wood, msnbc.com

Millions of schoolchildren in the United States will see more fruit and vegetables and less fat on their lunch plates under new U.S. Department of Agriculture standards unveiled Wednesday aimed at improving child nutrition and reducing childhood obesity. "Improving the quality of the school meals is a critical step in building a healthy future for our kids," said Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. "When it comes to our children, we must do everything possible to provide them the nutrition they need to be healthy, active and ready to face the future – today we take an important step towards that goal."

The changes mark the first overhaul of the school lunch program in more than 15 years and will affect the nearly 32 million children who eat at school. The new regulations will be phased in over the next three years, starting in the fall. “We strongly support the regulations,” said Diane Pratt-Heavner, spokeswoman for the Maryland-based School Nutrition Association. “The new nutrition standards for school meals are great news for kids.”

Under the new regulations, schools will be required to offer fruits and vegetables every day, increase the amount of whole-grain foods and reduce the sodium and fats in the foods served. Schools will also be required to offer only fat-free or low-fat milk. In addition, the menus will pay attention to portion sizes to make sure children receive calories appropriate to their age, according to Kevin Concannon, USDA under secretary for food, nutrition and consumer services.

The new requirements are part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act signed into law last year by President Barack Obama and championed by the First Lady Michelle Obama as part of her Let's Move! campaign. First lady Michelle Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announce new nutrition standards for school meals. NBC's Erika Edwards reports. "As parents, we try to prepare decent meals, limit how much junk food our kids eat, and ensure they have a reasonably balanced diet," said Michelle Obama. "And when we're putting in all that effort the last thing we want is for our hard work to be undone each day in the school cafeteria.

Statistics show that about 17 percent of U.S. children and teenagers are obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

But whether the kids will choose to eat the new, healthier foods remains to be seen. The new menus won't entirely eliminate favorite food choices among kids, like pizza and french fries, but they will provide alternatives. For example, instead of cheese pizza, students will receive whole wheat cheese pizza. Rather than tater tots, students will get baked sweet potato fries. "We know if it’s not delicious, kids aren’t going to eat it," said White House Chef Sam Kass. But he added that thousands of schools have already implemented many of the required changes and their chefs are making progress in designing appealing menus. "We're working very hard on that," he said.

Wendy Weyer, director of nutrition services for Seattle Public Schools, said her district is already complying with many of the new USDA standards, and taking other steps, such as having partnerships with local farmers and planting school gardens. "Seattle has been very progressive with changing the way we offer meals, offering fruits and vegetables every day, as well as whole grain-rich foods," she said.

Weyer said the biggest challenge will be reducing sodium content, "while keeping the meals palatable for our students."

Pratt-Heavner said parents will play an important role in supporting the new standards. ”We all have to work to get the kids to make these healthier choices,” she said. “Students are more apt to pick up a fruit or vegetable in the lunch line if they have been introduced to those foods at home.”

To support the changes, schools will receive another 6 cents per meal in federal funding, and the overall cost of implementing the new requirements is projected at $3.2 billion. To help minimize costs, schools will also have more flexibility in designing the school lunch line to reduce waste, Concannon said. Students, for example, will be allowed to pick and choose more items as they move through the line, rather than getting a plate served to them.

Weyer said the Seattle school district still needs to determine how far the additional money will go to cover the new requirements. "It's not going to cover all the cost, but it's definitely going to help," Pratt-Heavner said.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...new-usda-rules

comments

This is a good start, but how about giving kids more physical activity? Like maybe recess?

Regulating their food is a good idea but kids burn calories like crazy when they are active. When I was a kid, my parents would always say, "Go outside a play." Ride bikes, rollerblade, skateboard, sports, make ramps, explore a pond, go fishing, ect....

My point is this: Parents take freaking control of your child, take the remote out of their hand, and shove their little butts outside! I don't blame the school food, I blame the lack of direction and activities for these kids.

Overall I agree with what they are trying to do. The one item in this article I disagree with is the mandate to only offer fat free or low fat milk. There have been studies done that show that kids should drink whole milk, not low fat or fat free. Apparently fats and in particular milk fat is necessary for neurological development. I have seen recommendations to give kids whole milk at least until they are 5 and I have not read of any problems with them continuing to drink whole milk so long as they stay within the proper body weight range for their age and height. Also, low fat and fat free milk does not taste very good and leaving kids with only the options of low fat or fat free milk may result in them switching to something else to drink that is far worse for them than whole milk.

Ok so everyone saying this is a good idea... Do you know how big of an Epix fail this will become?

Do some google searches on the California school district that did this. Removed ALL the vending machines, took out the " good " foods kids like. Pizza, Hamburgers ect.. and replaced them with healthy food.

The School district was throwing all the food away. Kids refused to eat it. Hell an underground market sprung up from kids bringing chips, sodas, and other goodies to school to sell it to the other students..

all of this has been tried before and the kids gave the new lunch menu a big middle finger.

You can put it on their plates ... but you can't MAKE them eat...
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks

LOL -
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,027 Posts
    I love the parking lots where they have gyms. People will sit and wait for a close spot nearer the front door rather than walk the extra 30 feet to an open spot. :
    Mrs Pepperpot is a lady who always copes with the tricky situations that she finds herself in....

Thanks

Thanks
    I was a free lunch kid until I was a sophomore. I can't say I remember many lunches or whether they were any good or not but I do know that I drank every ones milk. I loved milk (no choc pls) then and I love it now... I have to get it lactose free now, but I still chug it like water.

After that, I basically ate out of the vending machines. A bag of chips or package of cream cheese and chive crackers and a soda. There were no "healthy" vending options way back then. I am fat now but I wasn't then... they ran our butts off in p.e., I can't believe schools are making it optional now!
    Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

An 'eye for an eye' leaves the whole world blind. -Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks
    • Do schools have the right to tell parents what is or isn't healthy enough for their children's lunches?

School Deems 4-Year-Old's Turkey Sandwich Lunch Unacceptable; Mother Outraged
    A North Carolina mother protested after school officials told her daughter that the home-packed lunch she brought to school was not healthy enough to eat, and then charged her for a school lunch!

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2012/02/14...-unacceptable/

A mother is outraged after school officials told her 4-year-old daughter that her home-packed lunch was not healthy enough to eat. What was so unhealthy about her lunch? Trace Gallagher reported that a lunch inspector at the school told the girl she couldn’t eat her turkey sandwich, banana, potato chips and apple juice. Instead providing the girl with a USDA-approved lunch with the following guidelines: one serving of meat, one serving of grains, and two servings of fruit or vegetables.

When the girl returned home from school, her unopened lunch contained a note from the school saying that her lunch didn’t meet the guidelines and a $1.25 bill for the replacement lunch. The mom was outraged and anonymously wrote to the local newspaper and called a state representative. The North Carolina representative called the school which apologized, because in fact the lunch did meet all the USDA requirements.
    In her statement to the newspaper, the mother argues that the issue isn’t whether the lunch meets any requirements but rather says, “Don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunchbox properly. I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats.”

Tell us what you think! Do schools have the right to tell parents what is or isn’t healthy enough for their children’s lunches?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,027 Posts
    Do schools have the right to tell parents what is or isn’t healthy enough for their children’s lunches?
    Unless it's rocks, razor blades and rat poison....no.
    Mrs Pepperpot is a lady who always copes with the tricky situations that she finds herself in....

Thanks
    Do schools have the right to tell parents what is or isn’t healthy enough for their children’s lunches?
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperpot View Post
    Unless it's rocks, razor blades and rat poison....no.
    EXACTLY !

When the girl returned home from school, her unopened lunch contained a note from the school saying that her lunch didn’t meet the guidelines and a $1.25 bill for the replacement lunch.... >snip< ... the school which apologized, because in fact the lunch did meet all the USDA requirements.
    .... the mother argues that the issue isn’t whether the lunch meets any requirements but rather says, “Don’t tell my kid I’m not packing her lunchbox properly. I pack her lunchbox according to what she eats.”
    I wonder how much of the "school lunch" went into the trash ? Doesn't matter how "healthy" it is ... if they don't eat it.

Thanks
    High school fined $15,000 for… selling soda pop during lunch
    By Doug Powers • May 19, 2012 01:29 PM

This got lost in the mix last week but it’s not too dated to keep talking about. I was wondering what the EPA idling school bus spotters did on their downtime, http://cnsnews.com/news/article/epa-...bus-contractor http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress...2579DC00599928 and apparently they perform a undercover work for the USDA in school cafeterias: http://fox13now.com/2012/05/14/davis...ing-food-choic

Davis High School has been fined $15,000 after they were caught selling soda pop during lunch hour, which is a violation of federal law.

The federally mandated law prohibits the sale of carbonated beverages after lunch is served. The program is an effort to help fight childhood obesity and to have young students make better food choices.
    [...]
    Principal Burton said he does not understand the law with rules that seem to be contradictory.

“We can sell a Snickers bar, but can’t sell licorice. We can’t sell Swedish Fish, we can’t sell Starburst, we can’t sell Skittles, but we can sell ice cream, we can sell the Snickers bar, Milky Ways, all that stuff,” said Burton.

The school is bound to obey the law, however, if they want the $15,000 the federal government gives to subsidize their school lunch program.
    The Principal said the $15,000 would have otherwise been used to fund music and other programs. To the government this is a “win-win” because the students will be healthier while at the same time the administration won’t have to worry about the kids writing songs critical of insane levels of federal overreach.

Related: Possibly coming soon… a “fat tax.” http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...7#.T7e_GmZ5Of4

**Written by Doug Powers http://michellemalkin.com/2012/05/19...ined-soda-pop/

comments

The march of the minutia brigade. Our schools are failing academically and the gov has to be the salt and soda police. Once upon a time, the school lunches were designed to provide enough calories in one meal to last the entire day because of the fear that many children would only get 1 meal/day. Now we have FAT kids because the gov designed it to be that way. Gov intervention breeds more gov intervention. It is time to stop the gov from going where it doesn’t belong!!!!

“The federally mandated law prohibits the sale of carbonated beverages after lunch is served.”
    So, does that mean that it is okay to sell the beverages up to lunchtime?

Once upon a time, the school lunches were designed to provide enough calories in one meal to last the entire day because of the fear that many children would only get 1 meal/day.”
    Then the feds stepped in with the reduced price/no cost program so as not to stigmatize the poorer students. Next, the feds/teachers’ unions/do-gooders decided that a free/subsidized breakfast program was needed. Now, we have systems adding dinner, too and SEIU is pushing to get the free meal program extended through the summer vacation. A couple of common sense questions from one of the 52%(if that high) who pay taxes.

1. If you conclude that the students who get the free/subsidized meals come from home situations where EBT/food stamps are also distributed, you wonder if the EBT/food stamps are reduced because the schools are feeding the children.

2. Have any of the “experts,” e.g. Michelle Obama ever considered the possibility that in addition to the 2/3 meals given in the schools the children may be getting 2/3 meals at home, too? Could that be a contributing factor to the obesity epidemic?

When stuff like this becomes federal law instead of having a budget, the law makers we have need to go and go fast. We don’t send them the DC to regulate soda.

The ironic thing is, the money that will be paid to the government through this fine is coming from tax payers, filtered through the school system, in a sense, giving themselves their money back. Maybe that is how the government plans to pay for some of their programs. They can go around and fine a bunch of schools for these “infractions” and pay themselves back!! I can see Nancy Pelosi now, “Forget unemployment checks, the fastest way to create jobs is to fine schools for selling junk food during lunch,” Michelle Obama would aprove.

Whether the State can loose and bind
    In Heaven as well as on Earth:
    If it be wiser to kill mankind
    Before or after the birth–
    These are matters of high concern
    where State-kept schoolmen are;
    But Holy State (we have lived to learn)
    Endeth in Holy War.

Whether the People be led by The Lord,
    Or lured by the loudest throat;
    If it be quicker to die by the sword
    Or cheaper to die by the vote–
    These are things we have dealt with once,
    (And they will not rise from their grave)
    For Holy People, however it runs,
    Endeth in Wholly Slave.

What so ever, for any cause,
    Seeketh to take or give
    Power above or beyond the Laws,
    Suffer it not to live!

Holy State or Holy King–
    Or Holy People’s Will–
    Have no truck with the senseless thing.
    Order the guns and kill!
    Saying–after–me:–

Once there was The People–Terror gave it birth;
    Once there was The People and it made a Hell of Earth.
    Earth arose and crushed it, Listen, O ye slain!
    Once there was The People–it shall never be again!

(Macdonough’s Song, Rudyard Kipling)

Thanks
    The Nation’s School Kids: “We Are Hungry”
    By drillanwr, on September 25, 2012, at 12:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7B00...layer_embedded

A couple years after Michelle Obama took it upon her unelected self to interlope into our school cafeterias and begin removing and manipulating the foods our children can and cannot eat, it is yielding the predicted results. Kids are either going hungry on the meager helpings, while some are simply dumping uneaten unwanted food into the trash.

I know for a fact my local school district students are not too thrilled with the new federal and state government(s) school lunch menu of the past couple years. The food selection, and amounts, have decreased while the prices have increased. This amounts to another intrusive and inadequate government program. For all the outrage that our kids are horribly obese, in its one size fits all practice of the nanny state system those students who are not overweight are suffering with the allegedly good-intentioned federal government rules of what they can ingest while on school grounds... http://pjmedia.com/blog/wasted-food-...ill-in-action/

According to Livestrong.com, teenagers need between 2,000 and 3,000 calories per day to be healthy, and athletes can need as many as 5,000 calories. But the new regulations limit the intake to just 750-850 calories on the tray. Which, if the food is unpalatable, means the students may not be getting even that much.
    However, it is not just the physical energy void the new government guidelines are inflicting on school kids. All growing children, at all age levels, need a certain amount of fats in their diets for proper brain and nerve development. I would say a better approach here would have been to teach, and stress, moderation with school kids and their food choices. But we are talking about a government whose own morbidly obese BMI is well over $16 trillion with no end in sight, except economic death.

Some might remark, Well, just pack your kid's lunch. That is an option, as long as the food police in the school cafeterias do not decide the home-bagged lunches are not acceptable and confiscate them ... or simply just ban them. After all, we are constantly told by some of these same people now dictating what is plopped onto our kids' lunch trays that the school breakfast and lunch are, in some cases, the only real meals some of these kids get day to day. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2012/09/2...its-leave.html

The lunch included one cheese-stuffed bread stick, a small dollop of marinara sauce, three apple slices and some raw spinach. Kirkham supplemented the lunch with items from a salad bar, including cubes of ham, bacon bits and dressing, which were available only to teachers. “I asked why the sauce had no meat and I was informed that due to the breadsticks containing cheese, the meat would put us over the guidelines for protein,” Kirkham wrote.

“Now think of a high school boy who works out at least three hours a day, not including farm work. … I’m furious. The ‘cheese’ inside the breadstick is approximately three bites. This is ridiculous.”

In past weeks, students in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and St. Mark’s school near Colwich have organized brown-bag protests, packing their own lunches instead of buying school meals.

Huelskamp and Rep. Steve King, a Republican from Iowa, have introduced a bill that would repeal the calorie maximums imposed by the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, which won congressional approval in 2010.

Huelskamp said the new lunch guidelines are “a perfect example of what is wrong with government: misguided inputs, tremendous waste and unaccomplished goals.”

He also opposes rules that require students to take servings of a fruit or vegetable at lunch, regardless of whether they plan to eat it. “If every member of Congress would actually go into a school cafeteria and take a look at the trash can, they’d see that what sounds good on paper doesn’t always work out like you think,” Huelskamp said.
    Out of the mouths of babes comes no better example of government intrusion, and waste.

The peasants are revolting! Townhall.com has rounded up a number of complaints from students about skimpy school lunches mandated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and kids have even put together their own “We Are Hungry” music video to protest the clampdown on calories. http://youtu.be/2IB7NDUSBOo

Let's just hope these kids have learned a very good lesson about allowing government to take away choice and regulate their lives. If you hear a kid complaining about their school lunch just tell them, 'Now, imagine what ObamaCare will be like.'

http://babalublog.com/2012/09/the-na...we-are-hungry/

Hungry kids rebel against #MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu
    Posted at 10:52 pm on September 24, 2012 by Twitchy Staff

http://twitchy.com/2012/09/24/hungry...hoollunchmenu/

First lady Michelle Obama went so far recently as to call obesity America’s number one security threat, but if these kids don’t get something to eat soon, there might be a revolution from within against #MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu. So what’s cooking?

mb@imsure

Lettuce Leaf in a cup #MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu

24 Sep 12
    John Leschen@johnleschen

Grilled Blue Heeler on a bed of arugula with a low-fat bitter-clingy dressing. #MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu

24 Sep 12
    Scott Williamson@Eurotoo

#MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu Unhappy meals.

24 Sep 12
    Jason@82ndVet

#MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu hope with a side of change #eatyourpeas

24 Sep 12
    Leslie Guzman@Libertarian_ish

#MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu... one ACORN... that's it, nothing more.

24 Sep 12
    Graham @PoofImGraham

#MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu Fail O' Flakes.

24 Sep 12
    Keith Piper@kpiper1980

#MichelleOsSchoolLunchMenu Morning after pills but no soda #tcot #Obama2012

24 Sep 12