Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thanks
    I understand what you are saying. It happened at a school function on school grounds. What happens on school grounds lies on the state. They should have taken more precautions to make sure nothing like this happened to begin with.

Her winning the lawsuit isn't going to make her more of a victim. She is a victim of a violent crime that should have never taken place. In no way shape or form is the young lady responsible for what happened to her.

I'm pretty sure some parents would have done more than sue.
    Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bliss For This Useful Post:

DAVESBABYDOLL (01-26-2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Richmond rape victim's family: 'Please do not let this happen again'

Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts
    She is a victim of a violent crime that should have never taken place. In no way shape or form is the young lady responsible for what happened to her.
    At no time did I say she was at fault. But yes, there is a small measure of personal responiabilty... if she had stayed inside at the dance as I am sure the "rules" would have stated... if she had not been drinking brandy at age 15 ... risky behaviors are DANGEROUS, that is why we warn our children against them.

Do I disagree with the FACT that her parents sued - absolutely not. ( When we were in school, we snuck around the back of the gym to smoke which was against the rules for leaving the building... as fast as we went out, the teachers where hustling us back in... ) BUT sue the chapereons on duty, the principle of the school, whomever was in charge of security...

I still say the only "winners" in this ugly situation are the lawyers.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 2,027 Posts
    BUT sue the chapereons on duty, the principle of the school, whomever was in charge of security...
    I don't agree with this.

Personally suing an individual (unless they actually committed a crime such as the rape itself, supplying alcohol/drugs to minors, etc.) shouldn't happen in this type of instance. If for a lack in judgment/understanding or perhaps being bamboozled, sidetracked by students or an "event" or just "circumstances" something like this happened, it's too much of a burden. While I do believe they should have some responsibility and accountability...usually at these events the chaperons are volunteers (parents or off-duty teachers). If they willingly and knowingly "looked the other way", I could see some type of repercussion.

But if you, as a parent, could be sued because you volunteered as a chaperon at your kid's high school.....would you do it? Because you "covered" another chaperone's "spot" while they went to the bathroom and a few kids "snuck out", or perhaps the kids snuck out while another kid distracted you by "pretending" to fall or something, etc.....would you risk your home, your child's college fund, etc. to volunteer as a chaperon? Not me.

Now, if the school district hired security and they "failed", then they should be sued (the security). Yes.

The principal should absolutely have to answer for this occurrence, perhaps with her job, as she might not have fully prepared for this function, but personally sued? No.

The school district is responsible for hiring the principal, the mayor, etc. is responsible for hiring the school chancellor/board, and the people voted in the mayor, etc.... So yes, we would be "suing" ourselves, but "we" ultimately put these people in charge and the girl/child suffered damages as a result. Someone along the way "failed" and "we" put that person "in charge".

I still say the only "winners" in this ugly situation are the lawyers.
    No difference of opinion there.

*If this were a private school, the school would have insurance (premiums paid). Since this is public (I assume), usually they are self insured, hence the school district (local government) would "pay".
    Last edited by pepperpot; 01-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Mrs Pepperpot is a lady who always copes with the tricky situations that she finds herself in....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolie Rouge View Post
    At no time did I say she was at fault.

I never suggest you made the remark.
    Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it very often.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts
    BUT sue the chapereons on duty, the principle of the school, whomever was in charge of security...
    I don't agree with this.

Personally suing an individual (unless they actually committed a crime such as the rape itself, supplying alcohol/drugs to minors, etc.) shouldn't happen in this type of instance. If for a lack in judgment/understanding or perhaps being bamboozled, sidetracked by students or an "event" or just "circumstances" something like this happened, it's too much of a burden. While I do believe they should have some responsibility and accountability...usually at these events the chaperons are volunteers (parents or off-duty teachers). If they willingly and knowingly "looked the other way", I could see some type of repercussion.

But if you, as a parent, could be sued because you volunteered as a chaperon at your kid's high school.....would you do it? Because you "covered" another chaperone's "spot" while they went to the bathroom and a few kids "snuck out", or perhaps the kids snuck out while another kid distracted you by "pretending" to fall or something, etc.....would you risk your home, your child's college fund, etc. to volunteer as a chaperon? Not me.

Now, if the school district hired security and they "failed", then they should be sued (the security). Yes.

The principal should absolutely have to answer for this occurrence, perhaps with her job, as she might not have fully prepared for this function, but personally sued? No.

The school district is responsible for hiring the principal, the mayor, etc. is responsible for hiring the school chancellor/board, and the people voted in the mayor, etc.... So yes, we would be "suing" ourselves, but "we" ultimately put these people in charge and the girl/child suffered damages as a result. Someone along the way "failed" and "we" put that person "in charge".
    You make a valid point.

I just get weary of the reports of people who don't sue the persons who would be concievably responsible for something, but instead do after the biggest bank account. Ex : man is riding his bike, at night, no reflectors, dark clothes, with twice the legal blood alchol gets hit by a student driving home from late shift at Denny's. Man on bike sues .... Denny's and Jeep. ?????? Why ? Denny's & Jeep have deeper pockets and *might* pay off just to avoid litigation... college student has no money.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?