Page 4 of 5 First 12345 Last
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts
    Leading Coal Company Will Lay Off 1,200 Workers – [I]Blames Obama EPA Regulations
    Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 10:35 AM/I]

A one man wrecking crew – Barack Obama promised to bankrupt the coal industry during the 2008 campaign.

“So if someone wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It’s just that it will bankrupt them.”
    "Energy prices will necessarily skyrocket."
    Now this… Alpha Natural Resources announced today that it plans on closing eight mines in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia. The company will lay off 1,200 employees.

The New York Times reported: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/19/us...ef=todayspaper

Alpha Natural Resources, one of the nation’s largest coal producers, announced on Tuesday that it planned to idle eight mines in Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia, reducing its annual production by 16 million tons. The move will include laying off 1,200 of 13,000 employees. The company said that it was trying to meet the “evolving demands of a changing global coal market” and that it would continue selling coal in the United States while focusing new efforts on overseas markets.
    The company blamed Obama’s EPA for the layoffs.

The Wall Street Journal reported: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...416369962.html

The coal industry has been hit by competition from cheap natural gas, but Alpha made clear in its announcement that an equal problem is a Washington “regulatory environment that’s aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal.” That’s a direct reference to the deluge of Obama Environmental Protection Agency regulations designed to force the closure of coal-fired power plants.

And yet Obama has the nerve to say he represents the middle class.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...a-regulations/

News Item #1: Obama’s USDA Offers Women, Hispanic Farmers Over $1.3 Billion in Pigford Payouts

News Item #2: Leading Coal Company Will Lay Off 1,200 Workers – Blames Obama EPA Regulations

Obama is in office to impose his own proclivities, prejudices and animosities. Whoever he personally doesn’t like, he insults and harms — Israel, England, white European nations, bankers, doctors, insurance companies, coal companies.

Whoever he likes, he rewards — mortgages for poor blacks who can’t afford them, free medical care, a free pass for New Black panther thugs, money for pseudo-farmer minorities, appeasement for Muslim mobs.

No other President has had such a puny, shrunken, shriveled view of a President’s role. This is truly a Lilliputian would-be autocrat. He’s Mussolini for Morons.

And throughout the country – despite the hamstringing of Keystone, the smothering of off-shore drilling and the demolition derby act Obama has inflicted on the coal industry, many, many thousands of men who get dirty for a living (or who USED to get dirty for a living, back when they had a job) will vote for this Chicago thug in November, because “Democrats are for the working class.” They very much remind me of American Jews who insist that only government should have access to firearms.

Despite Obama’s Best Efforts, “Coal Use Is Growing At A Staggering Pace Around The World.”

Coal use is growing at a staggering pace around the world, particularly in countries such as China and India. That’s created a potentially vast market for coal exports. Currently, U.S. coal producers like Arch Coal and Alpha Natural Resources are hoping to build large export terminals in the Pacific Northwest to compensate for falling demand here. Environmental groups, by contrast, are trying to stop this from happening, arguing that the United States shouldn’t be shipping its climate pollution abroad.

OBAMA Didn’t Work FOR THE NATION’S COAL INDUSTRY

111 Coal Power Plants Closed From 2009-2012. “But in the past two years, an increasing number of coal-powered electricity plants across the country have announced closures. Estimates vary, but banking and industry analysis firm Credit Suisse put expected and known closures for 2009-2012 at 111 plants, that’s one-fifth of the nation’s nearly 500 coal plants.” (Lisa Desjardins, “The War Over Coal Is Personal,” CNN, 7/17/12)

The Obama Administration Has Destroyed 2,868 Jobs In Eastern Ohio. “‘At its peak, OhioAmerican employed 239 local people in high-paying, well-benefited jobs,’ said Mr. Stanley T. Piasecki, General Manager and Superintendent. ‘University studies show that our Mines can create up to eleven (11) secondary jobs in our communities, for store clerks, teachers, etc., to serve our direct employees. Thus, if one uses the eleven (11) to one (1) multiplier, the Obama Administration has destroyed 2,868 jobs in eastern Ohio with this forced Mine closure,’ stated Mr. Piasecki.” (Press Release, “OhioAmerican Energy, Inc. Coal Mining Operation Closed In Eastern Ohio,” Murray Energy, 7/31/12)

http://www.gop.com/news/research/oba...pense-of-jobs/

Democrats handing U.S. oil to China, destroying coal industry

As communist China scrambles to buy up all the North American energy supplies that the left’s ideological environmentalist crusade against “Big Oil” endlessly denies us access to, a record number of coal-fired energy plants are now also being forced to shut down across the country.

From the Daily Caller:

Facing declining demand for electricity [due to the failing economy and the shale boom] and stiff federal environmental regulations, coal plant operators are planning to retire 175 coal-fired generators, or 8.5 percent of the total coal-fired capacity in the United States, according to an analysis by the Energy Information Administration (EIA).

A record-high 57 generators will shut down in 2012.
    read more:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/07/28/re...-down-in-2012/

So, Ohio is in play for Romney and Obama. Coal means a lot to the people of Ohio, Kentucky and other coal producing states. Could be a big factor in this election. Among many of Obama’s failures.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    November 6, 2012 at 8:28 am by FPP

EPA planning major post-election anti-coal regulation

President Obama’s Environmental Protection Agency has devoted an unprecedented number of bureaucrats to finalizing new anti-coal regulations that are set to be released at the end of November, according to a source inside the EPA.

More than 50 EPA staff are now crashing to finish greenhouse gas emission standards that would essentially ban all construction of new coal-fired power plants. Never before have so many EPA resources been devoted to a single regulation. The independent and non-partisan Manhattan Institute estimates that the EPA’s greenhouse gas coal regulation will cost the U.S. economy $700 billion.

The rush is a major sign of panic by environmentalists inside the Obama administration. If Obama wins, the EPA would have another four full years to implement their anti-fossil fuel agenda. But if Romney wins, regulators will have a very narrow window to enact a select few costly regulations that would then be very hard for a President Romney to undo.

Environmentalists at the EPA pulled this trick before in 2000 when the Clinton administration rushed out a finding that Mercury emissions from power plants were a growing public health threat pursuant to the Clean Air Act. That finding did not regulate power plants itself, but it did force the Bush administration to begin a lengthy regulatory process. The Obama EPA has estimated that this regulation alone will cost the U.S. economy $10.9 billion a year.

Reached for comment, Romney spokesman Ryan Williams said:

President Obama won’t tell the voters of the Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania the truth about his plans to shut down the coal industry. Even after he loses on Tuesday, it appears that the President will still try to continue his efforts to kill their jobs and drive up their energy prices. Mitt Romney is committed to reversing the damage caused by the Obama Administration’s disastrous liberal agenda as soon as he takes office.
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/novemb...8#.UJbkMoW1-AI

comments

War on women,
    War on fuel,
    War on America,
    What are we to do?

Fast and Furious,
    And Benghazi too.
    Several are dead,
    Because of you.

Splitting the country,
    In more ways than one.
    You won't be happy,
    Until you have won.

Wasted tax dollars,
    Right down the drain.
    And you want more,
    You are inflicting such pain.

On November the sixth,
    I will cast my vote.
    And I hope and pray,
    This is far as it goes.

I am a proud veteran,
    Who went to Viet Nam.
    And I will not bury,
    My head in the sand.

To "The Messiah" Obama,
    You must go.
    For the good of the country,
    God please make it so.

John D. 10/1/2012 USN 71-77

All the talk from the left has switched to lame duck revenge. Congress needs to keep the pressure on BO about Benghazi in the weeks to come, to stop some of this lunacy. God please make it so.

Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks
    Judge: Coal company can drop retirement benefits for 13,000 workers
    By Ned Resnikoff - updated 5/31/2013 8:18:43 AM ET 2013-05-31T12:18:43

The Patriot Coal bankruptcy filing voids the company's pensions for retired miners, many of whom have health problems related to their years in the mine, including black lung disease.

Bankrupt coal mining company Patriot Coal will be able to void its agreement with the United Mine Workers union (UMWA) and stop funding pensions for retired miners, thanks to a ruling from the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in the Eastern District of Missouri. In a decision [PDF] dated May 29, Judge Kathy A. Surratt-States said that the failing company was authorized to rip up its union collective bargaining agreements as part of a plan to trim $150 million in annual labor costs during Chapter 11 restructuring.

“This ruling represents a major step forward for Patriot, allowing our company to achieve savings that are critical to our reorganization and the preservation of more than 4,000 jobs,” said Bennett K. Hatfield, the company’s CEO, in a statement. ”The savings contemplated by this ruling, together with other cost reductions implemented across our company, will put Patriot on course to becoming a viable business.”

But for the company’s current and former employees, the future looks much less rosy. Thanks to the ruling, Patriot Coal will now be able to move forward with a plan that could slash retirement and health benefits for up to 13,000 retirees. That includes many who are suffering from the ailments typical of long-time miners, such as black lung disease.

“A lot of people have malignant tumors and black lung or cancer,” former mine worker Alana Green told Huffington Post earlier this month. “These people can’t go out and get someone to pick them up for insurance.”

Patriot Coal is actually the child of a much larger corporation: Peabody Energy. When Peabody Energy created Patriot in 2007, it transferred many of its pension and health care obligations to the smaller coal company, even though many of the workers covered by those benefits “retired before the spinoff and never worked for Patriot,” according to Reuters.

UMWA claims that Peabody did this because Patriot was “designed to fail,” in the words of a paper [PDF] on their website written by Temple University finance professor Bruce Rader. Patriot Coal, he writes, “seems to have been created to fail in the long run,” so that it could use bankruptcy to get out paying health and retirement benefits.

Such a move would not be unprecedented. When American Airlines’s parent company AMR filed for bankruptcy in 2012, Transport Workers Union president James Little claimed that the company was in part attempting “to get out of bankruptcy what [they] couldn’t get at the table,” and use the process to extract further concessions from unions.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52049630/t...lite=obnetwork

Thanks
    The Obama Hammer Falls! – Coal Miners, Power Plant Workers, Railroaders, Truck Drivers, Millwrights, Welders Are About To Get Screwed Out Of Their Jobs – #climate change
    Posted on June 23, 2013

Despite the fact that the planet is actually cooling http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-prove-it.html Obama is about to use the climate change lie to put even more Americans out of work. At this point there can be no denying that this man is purposely trying to destroy this country – which he hates. -

To the people who were dumb enough to believe the Obama union (communist) propaganda, I hope you get trampled in the cheese lines… -

The Washington Post reported: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...imate-strategy

President Obama will announce Tuesday in a speech at Georgetown University that he plans to regulate greenhouse-gas emissions from existing power plants, according to individuals who have been briefed on the plan but asked not to be identified. In a statement Saturday afternoon sent via the White House Twitter feed, Obama said that he plans to fulfill the pledge he made in his second inaugural address to “respond to the growing threat of climate change for the sake of our children and future generations.” “This Tuesday, I’ll lay out my vision for where I believe we need to go — a national plan to reduce carbon pollution, prepare our country for the impacts of climate change, and lead global efforts to fight it,” the president said. “This is a serious challenge — but it’s one uniquely suited to America’s strengths.”
    - See more at: http://im41.com/archives/32738#sthash.Lp7bLVb8.dpuf

Video http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013...lobal-warming/

Thanks
    Today, President Obama will fire the first salvo in the "War on Coal". According to the New York Times, in his address at Georgetown University he will "propose a sweeping plan to address climate change on Tuesday, setting ambitious goals and timetables for a series of executive actions to reduce greenhouse gas pollution and prepare the nation for the ravages of a warming planet."

His plan will bypass Congress and be implemented via Executive actions via the EPA and Executive Orders. The overall intent for his actions are succinctly summed up by White House Climate Advisor Daniel P. Schrag:

“The one thing the president really needs to do now is to begin the process of shutting down the conventional coal plants. Politically, the White House is hesitant to say they’re having a war on coal. On the other hand, a war on coal is exactly what’s needed.”

The Washington Times reports that "The public won't officially see or hear President Obama's climate change speech before he delivers it this afternoon at Georgetown University, but liberal supporters already have it — and are even commenting on it hours in advance."

Obama DID promise that if he was elected that energy rates would skyrocket... he's now trying to keep that campaign promise to his Progressive base.

More here: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ed_737807.html, here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/26/us...nted=all&_r=1& and here: http://washingtonexaminer.com/libera...rticle/2532350

Thanks
    Obama cuts 10,000 military positions in Kentucky the same day he vows to shut down coal fired power plants
    Commonwealth News Center press release - 58 minutes ago

Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear “I am deeply disappointed by the news of the Department of Defense’s planned inactivation of the Third Brigade Combat Team, First Infantry Division currently located at Ft. Knox. This decision will likely remove nearly 10,000 military employees and dependents from the area, which will have a profound economic impact not only on Ft. Knox, but the surrounding region as well.

While I understand that the Departments of the Army and Defense must adjust to the current budget realities, this decision seems to focus on shorter term savings at the expense of longer term readiness. Fort Knox is a proven, premier location to station, train and deploy an Infantry Brigade Combat Team. We are surprised by the Army’s decision to inactivate this well-positioned brigade, particularly because DOD has invested more than $500 million in military construction to support the brigade and provide quality of life for soldiers and families since locating the brigade here in 2009.

Because of the sizable infrastructure already in place, as well as Ft. Knox’s central location and proven capacity for adaptation, I call on the DOD to consider Ft. Knox as it considers future savings and efficiency measures.

Building joint capabilities in the areas of recruiting and human resources is an obvious avenue to efficiency. Fort Knox is a vital component in the Army’s portfolio of installations, and clearly, the functions there must be leveraged to the fullest extent possible.

Kentucky will always act decisively in support of our military. The Commonwealth continues to stand ready to assist and partner with DOD and the Army in solving the complex problems that face us all.”

http://claycotalk.proboards.com/post/14486

Thanks
    I wonder where all the coal miners that voted for Obama are now.. Did they really believe him and his promises??

At least 3 coal plants announced closing since Obama's energy speech
    By ASHE SCHOW | JULY 11, 2013 AT 3:55 PM

American Electric Power announced Thursday that it will be closing its coal-fired power plant in Beverly, Ohio, http://www.aep.com/newsroom/newsreleases/?ID=1820 making it the third plant to announce its closing since Obama gave a new energy speech on June 25. AEP originally planned to shut down four of its five power plants and convert the fifth into a natural gas-powered plant. That plan is no longer in place.

"Due to the cost of compliance with environmental regulations and current market conditions, AEP has determined that it is unlikely to make the capital investment to refuel the unit," the company said in its announcement.

AEP is not the only power company to shut down a plant. FirstEnergy Corp announced on Tuesday that it will close two coal-fired power plants in Pennsylvania by October 9. https://www.firstenergycorp.com/cont...n-pennsyl.html

"The decision is based on the cost of compliance with current and future environmental regulations in conjunction with the continued low market price for electricity," the announcement said.

That makes three closure announcements just this week.

About 380 jobs will be affected due to the Pennsylvania plant closures and 95 jobs will be affected by the Ohio closure.

The loss of the Ohio plant will result in the loss of 585 megawatts of electricity. The closing of the two Pennsylvania plants will result in the loss of 2,080 megawatts, which represented 10 percent of the FirstEnergy's generating capacity and 30 percent of the Environmental Protection Agency compliance costs, the company's statement said.

Fifteen thousand megawatts of coal-fired power have been lost since President Obama took office in 2009, according to Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...0FF2HY20130709 And another 37,000 megawatts will be lost in the next 10 years ago due to regulations and market costs.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/at-lea...rticle/2532957

Thanks
    Obama's "energy policy" is making domestic energy production more expensive
    and driving up the cost of gasoline and electricity.
    Do you agree Obama's energy policy is a failure?

I would go further then THAT. The Department of Energy was established in August of 1977 by President Jimmy Carter; the stated purpose was to reduce or eliminate US dependence on foreign oil or other imported energy sources. FAIL !

President Barack Obama unveiled on May 7, 2009, a $26.4 billion budget request for DOE for fiscal year 2010, including $2.3 billion for the DOE Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy. The budget aims to substantially expand the use of renewable energy sources while improving energy transmission infrastructure. It also makes significant investments in hybrids and plug-in hybrids, in smart grid technologies, and in scientific research and innovation. As part of the $789 billion economic stimulus package in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Congress provided Energy with an additional $38.3 billion for fiscal years 2009 and 2010, adding about 75 percent to Energy's annual budgets. Most of the stimulus spending was in the form of grants and contracts.

Thanks
    Obama’s War on Coal
    Posted on September 23 2013

"So where I can act on my own, I'm going to act on my own. I won't wait for Congress."
    – President Barack Obama
    Presidential candidate Barack Obama told us in no uncertain terms it was his plan to bankrupt the coal industry and force energy prices to skyrocket. And, here we go:

ARE YOU READY for high electricity prices and increased unemployment? Obama and his dishonest climate change army are shutting down the coal industry!

Electricity prices could rise as much as 80% thanks to Obama and his rogue, unregulated and unlegislated Environmental Protection Agency.

Obama has announced he will make strict changes to coal-fired power plants by using his EPA to enact strict regulations—thus ensuring that coal plants in operation will never be able to afford to modernize their plants and will be forced go bankrupt. No new coal plants will be built because it will not be economically feasible.

We will have fewer options that cost more of our hard-earned money.

Oh, here is a good plan …Let’s get that climate change problem fixed by DESTROYING the coal industry, the towns that survive on coal and the people, the real people who work in the mines and earn a hard living knowing the risks! Of course, when all is said and done, these new changes won’t have much, if ANY, of an impact on our environment, except to kill off all the coal plants and lay off all the workers.

The new rule proposes an emissions limit of 1,100 pounds of carbon dioxide per megawatt hour. New coal plants generally release about twice that. No one will be able to build a new plant and comply with the regulations. The technology doesn’t exist today to comply – it’s all a ruse.

Of course, you could capture the emissions and put them underground, but no one has been able to do that before on a commercial scale, and of course, the cost would be extremely prohibitive.

Hal Quinn, chief executive of the National Mining Association, says Obama is “impairing the backbone of the power grid.”

Ross Eisenberg, VP of Energy Policy at the National Association of Manufacturers says, “For the first time ever, EPA is becoming a regulator of energy. The rule they’re putting out there is going to force choices as to which energy you use, and that’s a very disturbing concept for manufacturers, for businesses, for anybody that has to comply with these laws.”

American Coalition for Clean Coal Electricity (ACCCE) reports that EPA regulations have led to the closure of NEARLY 290 coal plants this past year.

This is our government, hard at work.

Obama has tackled gay marriage, he’s tackled healthcare, he’s going after the Second Amendment, he has put illegal immigrants in the driver’s seat and he’s worsened race relations…and now Obama feels he can turn his attention to his grand climate change policy. Never mind dead Americans in Libya; never mind a disastrous and waffling foreign policy, never mind a failing economy and a looming budget battle.

Don’t you see? This is a mission…it has nothing to do with “urgency” or “science” or “planet Earth.”

Back in 1992 the United Nations wealth redistribution and “social justice” squad got together in Rio and handed down Agenda 21, deciding that “green energy” and “sustainability” were our future…based on science that, at the time, said nothing about the earth warming up and threatening us all.

Twenty-one years later, the science STILL doesn’t point to definitive global warming OR global warming caused by horrible humans inhabiting the planet with their cars and their air conditioners and their coal and yes, their hairspray! … HOWEVER, the U.N.’s Agenda 21 is still very much in play and the Left is still using the out of control EPA to end our freedoms.

Basically, Obama’s new coal-killing policies won’t make a difference in saving the planet from global warming…but even more ridiculous is the fact that scientists are having to concede that warming isn’t even happening in the first place!

In fact, the data shows that the earth is NOT warming.

The Associated Press obtained documents from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which shows scientists scrambling to “fix” the data and skew the summary so the report will line up with their storyline that the earth is warming and human existence is the biggest threat we face.

Countries including Belgium, Hungary and the good ole United States worked to “fudge” the data and use different analysis points to line up the numbers with their agenda.

Finally, a German climate scientist named Stefan Rahmstorf admitted the authors of the report were probably feeling “under pressure” to address why we are told to change everything about how we live in order to get control of a problem they cannot even prove exists.

Wildfires have decreased globally by 15%. A recent study indicates “there has been little change in drought over the past 60 years.”

In 2010, we spent $8.8 billion on federal climate spending; we spent $79 billion on climate change technology research, tax breaks for “green energy” and foreign aid for other countries to address climate change.

Obama loves a good crisis and he is going to use climate change as the impetus to redistribute wealth and promote his socialist agenda. His war on coal will unfairly influence the energy market while he lines the pockets of his “environmental-Nazi” friends.

National Republican Senatorial Committee spokeswoman Brook Hougesen said this is a “war on modernity.”

The thinking is, Americans have too much, and we should be ashamed of it. The more American’s earn the less wealth the Have Nots have! It’s crazy, we know!

So, when we end up living in mud huts like those in Africa, perhaps Obama will then take it upon himself to electrify those huts. Or, maybe we can just move to Africa.

Columnist Charles Krauthammer calls Obama’s policy, “nuts:” “At a time like this and also with high unemployment, a very sluggish economy sort of hanging on the edge, the president wants to introduce legislation that everybody understands is intended to kill coal. The regulations on the books already have made it impossible for an American to open a new plant. What this is going to do is destroy the existing plants, and this is why it is nuts. China and India are opening a new coal plant every week. Even if you believe in global warming, this is going to have zero effect on the climate.”

Senator Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) is one of the outspoken opponents of Obama’s attack on coal, because of course his state has a lot to lose. Manchin called it a “war on America.”

Senator Heidi Heitkamp (D-ND) said it will “choke off good-paying American jobs.”

Obama wants to kill innovation and jobs in America. But apparently, only AMERICAN ENERGY is harmful and hurting the world. Only WE are responsible for death and destruction due to our prosperity.

China and India are quickly building up their coal plants; they will have access to affordable energy whenever they want it. Africa, too. Obama went there and pledged $7 billion to electrify their mud huts, but he’s ready to ration ours and increase costs.

Marc Morano from the website ClimateDepot.com says, “The Obama administration is being strategically brilliant by doing this behind the scenes. They're going to achieve everything…through the invisibility of federal regulations. "

The uninformed, they blame greedy corporations because they just raise prices to make more money for themselves. The truth is, these new regulations will hurt the poorest among us, the most. It’s sad how the media turns good-hearted people into sheeples using guilt against us.

What American can keep up with all this fundamental change! This president and administration are taking America down, industry by industry, child by child.

The federal government needs to get out of our business—LITERALLY. They have no reason to be interfering in our industries and ruining the lives of citizens for some vague ideology coming out of United Nations bureaucrats with nothing to do other than destroy American freedoms!

http://www.conservative-daily.com/20...s-war-on-coal/

Thanks

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...32205361_n.jpg

FUN FACT : The Department of Energy was created in 1977 under President Carter to lessen our dependence on foreign oil. It has ballooned to 16,000 employees with a budget of $24 BILLION a year, and yet we still import MORE oil then ever before.
    Last edited by Jolie Rouge; 11-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks
    Wyoming Is 1st State to Reject Science Standards
    CHEYENNE, Wyo. May 9, 2014 (AP) By BOB MOEN Associated Press

Wyoming, the nation's top coal-producing state, is the first to reject new K-12 science standards proposed by national education groups mainly because of global warming components. The Wyoming Board of Education decided recently that the Next Generation Science Standards need more review after questions were raised about the treatment of man-made global warming.

Board President Ron Micheli said the review will look into whether "we can't get some standards that are Wyoming standards and standards we all can be proud of."

Others see the decision as a blow to science education in Wyoming. "The science standards are acknowledged to be the best to prepare our kids for the future, and they are evidence based, peer reviewed, etc. Why would we want anything less for Wyoming?" Marguerite Herman, a proponent of the standards, said.

Twelve states have adopted the standards since they were released in April 2013 with the goal of improving science education, and Wyoming is the first to reject them, Chad Colby, spokesman for Achieve, one of the organizations that helped write the standards. "The standards are what students should be expected to know at the end of each grade, but how a teacher teaches them is still up to the local districts and the states, and even the teachers in most cases," Colby said.

But the global warming and evolution components have created pushback around the country. Amy Edmonds, of the Wyoming Liberty Group, said teaching "one view of what is not settled science about global warming" is just one of a number of problems with the standards.

"I think Wyoming can do far better," Edmonds said.

Wyoming produces almost 40 percent of the nation's coal, with much of it used by power plants to provide electricity around the nation. Minerals taxes on coal provided $1 billion to the state and local governments in 2012 and coal mining supports some 6,900 jobs in the state.

Burning coal to generate electricity produces large amounts of CO2, which is considered a heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere. Most scientists recognize that man-made CO2 emissions contribute to global warming. However, the degree to which it can be blamed for global warming is in dispute among some scientists.

Gov. Matt Mead has called federal efforts to curtail greenhouse emissions a "war on coal" and has said that he's skeptical about man-made climate change. This past winter, state lawmakers approved budget wording that sought to stop adoption of the standards. "Wyoming is certainly unique in having legislators and the governor making comments about perceived impacts on the fossil fuel industry of kids learning climate science, and unique in acting on that one objection to prohibit consideration of the package of standards, of which climate science is a small component," said John Friedrich, a member of the national organization Climate Parents, which supports the standards.

Friedrich and Colby noted that oil and gas industry giants Exxon Mobile and Chevron support the standards. Opponents argue the standards incorrectly assert that man-made emissions are the main cause of global warming and shouldn't be taught in a state that derives much of its school funding from the energy industry. "I think those concepts should be taught in science; I just think they should be taught as theory and not as scientific fact," state Rep. Matt Teeters, R-Lingle, said.

Paul Bruno, an eighth-grade California science teacher who reviewed the standards for the Thomas B. Fordham Institute, said the climate-change components can cause confusion because they are difficult to navigate.

The Fordham Institute, a conservative think tank, gave the standards a "C'' grade.

While the standards overall are "mediocre," Bruno said they are being "a little bit unfairly impugned on more controversial topics like climate change or evolution."

The standards for high school assert that models predict human activity is contributing to climate change, but leave an "appropriate amount of uncertainty" and note that it's important to factor in costs, reliability and other issues when considering global warming solutions, he said.

"And so I think it's fair to say that the Next Generation Standards at least make gestures in the direction of wanting to accommodate those potentially skeptical viewpoints, particularly when it comes to things like energy production," Bruno said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...dards-23646285