Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts

Whatever happened to Elly May Clampett...‏

Whatever happened to Elly May Clampett...‏

[center] DONNA DOUGLAS
    http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/wh...a_douglas.html

BIRTH DATE: September 26, 1933, Pride, Louisiana
    BIRTH NAME: Dorothy Smith

CLAIM TO FAME: If you're like me, you only know Donna for one role... that of Elly May Clampett from 'The Beverly Hillbillies'.

FAMILY LIFE: Roland Bourgeois (1949 - 1954) (divorced) 1 child Robert M. Leeds (married late 1970s - divorced)

INFO: She made her film debut in a serious drama, 'Career', with Tony Franciosa and Shirley MacLaine in 1959. Two years later, she played Tony Randall's secretary in 'Lover Come Back'. Then she took up Elly May's pigtails for The Beverly Hillbillies, playing Buddy Ebsen's tomboy daughter.

TRIVIA: Was a self-described "Tomboy" as a girl, and like her character "Elly May," she has a large love of animals. Spent hours autographing photos and personally responding to fan mail - even though she received far more than anyone else in the cast of "The Beverly Hillbillies".

Critics hated 'The Beverly Hillbillies', but Americans loved it. It ran nine seasons, and it was cancelled not for sinking ratings, but because CBS feared that the network was gaining a reputation as a home for hicks and hayseeds. In one press release, CBS cancelled all their rural comedies, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, and Hee Haw. All four were still in the Top 20 when they were axed.

During the series' run, Douglas also made her last film, co-starring with Elvis Presley in Frankie and Johnny. She was a cheerleader in high school. Was Miss New Orleans, 1957. She was featured as the "Letters Girl" on The Perry Como Show. Is proud of her role as "Elly May" in "The Beverly Hill- billies" and sometimes even makes public appearances dressed up as Elly May.

She recorded a gospel album in 1982 and later a country and gospel album two-record set in 1989. Appeared as a guest at the Western Film Fair in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2002 and 2005.

In 1993, Douglas sued the Disney studio, Whoopi Goldberg, and others over 'Sister Act', alleging that the hit film was a rip-off of the comic novel 'A Nun in the Closet', for which Douglas owned the film rights. Disney's well- paid lawyers won in court, and won again on appeal.

WHERE IS SHE NOW: After The Beverly Hillbillies, Donna was relegated to rare guest bits on 'Adam 12' and 'The Nanny'. She says she was offered another series in the 1970s, but thought the program's risque concept would damage her wholesome image.

In the 1980s, she was one of the first celebrities to find limited success in Branson, Missouri, where she sang gospel music billed as Elly May, and delivered between-songs banter as her Hillbillies character. She received her real estate license in order to have something to fall back on. She did not work in that field long, however, as she remained in show business and found other projects. She has also written a children's book titled Donna's Critters & Kids: Children's Stories with a Bible Touch, which has Bible stories featuring animals and is combined with a coloring book for ages two to seven.

She has remained busy making appearances, speaking for church groups, youth groups, schools and colleges. One key focus of her charitable work has been to appear and speak in support of various Christian children's homes, mostly in her native south. She has also appeared at conventions and trade shows. In 2005 she filmed two pilot episodes for a children's program titled 'Mirror, Mirror'.

Donna Douglas currently lives in the Baton Rouge Metro Area in Louisiana.

WRITE TO DONNA DOUGLAS: Donna Douglas c/o Staff Member The Bazel Group Inc 4636 Lebanon Pike #308 Hermitage, TN 37076

VIDEO CLIPS: From Frankie & Johnny with Elvis: http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=9106&aid=21

As Elly May... in "Elly May Is All Growed Up": http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=7345&aid=21

CREDITS:

"Mirror, Mirror" (2 Episodes, 2005)
    The Nanny (March 31, 1999) ... Herself ... episode: California, Here We Come

"The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!" .... Ellie Mae (1 episode, 1989)

Mario Hillbillies (1989) TV episode .... Ellie Mae The Return of the Beverly Hillbillies (1981) (TV)

Elly May Clampett "Project U.F.O." .... Mrs. Ferrell / ... (2 episodes, 1978-1979)
    - Sighting 4026: The Atlantic Queen Incident (1979)

TV episode .... Mrs. Ferrell - Sighting 4006: The Nevada Desert Incident (1978)
    TV episode .... Wendy "McMillan & Wife" .... Rita (1 episode, 1974)
    - The Man Without a Face (1974)
    TV episode .... Rita "Adam-12" .... Nina Draper (1 episode, 1973)
    - The Beast (1973) TV episode .... Nina Draper "Love, American Style" .... / ... (2 episodes, 1970-1973)

- Love and the Love Kit (1973) TV episode
    - Love and Grandma/Love and the Other Guy (1970)
    .... Gloria Gilchrest "Night Gallery" .... Mildred McVane (1 episode, 1972)
    - Last Rites for a Dead Druid (1972)
    TV episode .... Mildred McVane
    "The Beverly Hillbillies" .... Elly May Clampett (1962-1971)
    Frankie and Johnny (1966) .... Frankie
    "The Defenders" .... Mary Andrews (1 episode, 1964)
    - Drink Like a Lady (1964)
    TV episode .... Mary Andrews "Sam Benedict" .... Francine (1 episode, 1962)
    - Hannigan (1962) TV episode .... Francine "The Twilight Zone" .... Debutante / ... (2 episodes, 1960-1962) - Cavender Is Coming (1962) TV episode .... Debutante - Eye of the Beholder (1960) TV episode .... Janet Tyler "The Jack Benny Program" (1 episode, 1962) - Jack Takes in a Boarder (1962) TV episode "Mister Ed" .... Blanche Dickenson / ... (3 episodes, 1961-1962) - Clint Eastwood Meets Mister Ed (1962) TV episode .... Clint Eastwood's Girl - Ed the Jumper (1961) TV episode .... Blanche Dickenson - Busy Wife (1961) TV episode .... Jane Parker Lover Come Back (1961) .... Deborah, Peter's Secretary "Pete and Gladys" .... Blonde / ... (2 episodes, 1961) - Three Loves of Gladys (1961) TV episode .... Blonde - Mannequin Story (1961) TV episode .... Model "Surfside 6" .... Amy / ... (2 episodes, 1961) - Jonathan Wembley Is Missing (1961) TV episode .... Amy - An Overdose of Justice (1961) TV episode .... Paula Creston "Cain's Hundred" (1 episode, 1961) - Penitent (1961) TV episode "The Aquanauts" .... Nancy Gard (2 episodes, 1960-1961) - The Stakeout Adventure (1961) TV episode .... Nancy Gard - The Big Swim (1960) TV episode "Hennesey" (1 episode, 1961) - His Honor, Dr. Blair (1961) TV episode "77 Sunset Strip" .... Rhonda Sheridan (1 episode, 1961) - The Celluloid Cowboy (1961) TV episode .... Rhonda Sheridan "Checkmate" .... Barbara (2 episodes, 1961) - Dance of Death (1961) TV episode .... Barbara - The Deadly Silence (1961) TV episode .... Barbara "Michael Shayne" .... Dusa (1 episode, 1961) - Murder Is a Fine Art (1961) TV episode .... Dusa "Thriller" .... Laura Bellman, the Girl in the Mirror (1 episode, 1961) - The Hungry Glass (1961) TV episode .... Laura Bellman, the Girl in the Mirror "Route 66" .... Dana (1 episode, 1960) - Layout at Glen Canyon (1960) TV episode .... Dana "The Detectives Starring Robert Taylor" .... Sandra (1 episode, 1960) - Alibis (1960) TV episode .... Sandra "Lock Up" .... Gloria Larkey (1 episode, 1960) - The Case of Dan Gray (1960) TV episode .... Gloria Larkey Bells Are Ringing (1960) (uncredited) .... Party Guest "Whirlybirds" .... Girl (1 episode, 1960) - Four Little Indians (1960) TV episode .... Girl "The Steve Allen Show" (1956) TV series .... Billboard Girl (1959-1960) Li'l Abner (1959) (uncredited) .... Bit part "U.S. Marshal" .... Joyce Markham (1 episode, 1959) - Trigger Happy (1959) TV episode .... Joyce Markham "Bachelor Father" (1 episode, 1959) - Kelly's Idol (1959) TV episode Career (1959) .... Marjorie Burke To see Then & Now pictures of Donna, visit: http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/wh...a_douglas.html <a href="http://www.celebritynooz.com/watn/where_is_donna_douglas.html"> Donna Douglas Then & Now</a>
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Whatever happened to Elly May Clampett...&#8207;

Thanks
    She lives near here and is still just as sweet as ever; she graduated from my High School and came to speak at several functions. She was also Miss Louisiana and was a Top Five Finalist in the Miss America pagent.
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks
    I always heard she was a very nice lady
    Mom I miss you already
    January 16, 1940 to April 29, 2009

Thanks
    Thanks for posting that article, that was really nice. I always loved her on the Beverly Hillbillies. I didn't realize she was the same age as my Mom.

Thanks
    She is a sweetheart, and has aged very well!
    Please spay or nueter your pets and support your local pet shelter

Thanks
    Donna Douglas, aka Elly May Clampett, passes away at age 82
    Posted: 01/02/2015 4:38 PM

PRIDE, LA (WAFB) - Family members say Donna Douglas passed away at the age of 82. Douglas was an actress, best known for her role as Elly May Clampett, the only daughter of Jed Clampett, in the CBS television series The Beverly Hillbillies. The series ran for nine years, ending in 1971.

Charlene Smith, Douglas' niece and former mayor of Zachary, says her aunt passed away Thursday, Jan. 1 in her Zachary, LA home, with family members by her side. She says pancreatic cancer was the cause of death and only learned she had cancer three months ago.

Douglas was born Doris Smith, near Pride, LA. Her family was poor, but they moved to north Baton Rouge when her father, Emmett Smith, got a job with Esso Oil Company.

She married at age 17 and a baby boy came along, but the marriage split. Her parents, Emmet and Elma Smith, kept their grandson while Donna moved to New York to try and make as much money as possible to send back home.

"I believed if I believed with all my heart that if I did the best I could do, that God would take care of me," said Douglas in a 2009 interview with WAFB. "Then I didn't have to be afraid. And the other thing was that Mom and Daddy trusted me enough to let me go and was gonna help me with my little boy, because he was gonna stay. Then I was gonna be worth of their trust."

Donna then moved to Los Angeles where she landed the coveted role of Elly May Clampett.

After her stint on The Beverly Hillbillies, Douglas was every man's sexy pinup dream, but as producers for upcoming movies asked her to show more skin, play more provocative roles, she turned down movies. Douglas also appeared in several other hit shows, including The Twilight Zone, Mister Ed and Route 66. She also co-starred with Elvis Presley in Frankie and Johnny. "I didn't want to be put in a place of compromise. So I went to night school and got my real estate license," she said in the 2009 interview.

She says she was not good in real estate because she learned she was a service person. "I'll tell em what's good about the house, but I'll tell them what's wrong about it too. And you don't do that!"

For nearly 50 years, she appeared before hundreds of churches, schools, and organizations across the country, talking about God, telling her story of moral choices and the great times she's lived.

In 2011, Douglas sued toy manufacturer Mattel Inc., claiming the company used her name and likeness for a Barbie doll without authorization. The suit was settled.

Douglas attended St. Gerard High School, a Roman Catholic school now called Redemptorist High School, where she played softball and basketball. She was a member of the school's first graduating class.

She was a "Miss Baton Rouge" and was named "Miss New Orleans" in 1957.

When Douglas gave her autograph, she signed it with Proverbs 3: 5-6, which reads:

English Standard Version (ESV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

6 In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
    Donna's family asks that her funeral be private, and they'll make a statement Monday.

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/db_332179/con...n=&ps=#display

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jolie Rouge For This Useful Post:

nelda (01-02-2015)