Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts

Exclamation Mississippi River bridge closed at Memphis

Mississippi River bridge closed at Memphis
    1 hour, 9 minutes ago

WEST MEMPHIS, Ark. - Officials shut down a major Mississippi River bridge Monday after a pier under a small approach span settled nearly 4 inches during the night in a construction zone.

The approach span for the Interstate 40 bridge was still supported by other piers, so the most motorists might have noticed would have been a slight dip, said Randy Ort, a spokesman for the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department.

He said the entire 1.5-mile-long bridge into downtown Memphis will remain closed until sometime Tuesday. Traffic over the river was diverted to the nearby I-55 bridge.

River bridges have been under scrutiny across the country since the Aug. 1 collapse of the I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis killed 13 people. That bridge was undergoing repairs when it fell during the evening rush hour, dropping dozens of cars more than 60 feet into the Mississippi.

Near Memphis, an inspector noticed the problem on the I-40 approach just after rush hour Monday morning.

Ort said the problem was likely caused by additional, longer pilings being driven to improve the bridge's stability. While crews worked beneath one half of the bridge, the other half was carrying 35,600 vehicles daily.

"The settling was in the columns still under traffic, due to the construction adjacent to it," Ort said.

Workers have been improving bridges along I-40 to make them safer in case of earthquakes. The New Madrid fault runs through the area.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070827/...GpR3X7mzCs0NUE
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mississippi River bridge closed at Memphis

Thanks
    going over that bridge frightened my son to death when we went on vacation we actually stood on the bridge over at mud island and watch them doing some work on it
    Mom I miss you already
    January 16, 1940 to April 29, 2009

Thanks
    I would hate to be living in Memphis with that bridge shut down. What a traffic nightmare.
    Missing Mommy and Daddy.
    Missing my Lady,Dingo, Mitzi and Spud.
    Missing my Aunt Ann.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
    I would hate to be living in Memphis with that bridge shut down. What a traffic nightmare.
    yeah thats what hubby and I were talking about tonight it was hard enough for us out of towners I can't imagine what it would have been like with just the one bridge going into Memphis
    Mom I miss you already

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nightrider127 View Post
    i was always avoided that bridge and crossed the I55 bridge onto the bypass
    CONFUSED AS A BABY IN A TOPLESS BAR

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suprtruckr View Post
    i was always avoided that bridge and crossed the I55 bridge onto the bypass
    OMG any bridge freaks me out but that one on 55 just really makes me feel like I am going to be sick.......I was so thankful this time we didnt go over that one
    Mom I miss you already

Thanks
    I55 is the concrete bridge that had just reopened last year? the I40 is the steel truss there by the pyramid.

you need to cross either of them in a big truck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,926 Times in 860 Posts
    I55 is the concrete bridge that had just reopened last year? the I40 is the steel truss there by the pyramid.

you need to cross either of them in a big truck
    The I-55 bridge has been open. They have been doing a lot of construction on the Hernando-Desoto bridge (aka The Memphis Bridge, The New Bridge). I hadn't heard about the closing, but I didn't watch news tonight and was watcing DVR.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or Abolish Government

Thanks
    Thanked 1,926 Times in 860 Posts
    Oh yeah, the I-55 bridge scares the bejesus out of me, especially when you are coming into Memphis because it is so narrow and then there is that curve at the end.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or Abolish Government

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tngirl View Post
    Oh yeah, the I-55 bridge scares the bejesus out of me, especially when you are coming into Memphis because it is so narrow and then there is that curve at the end.
    theres a curve at both aren't there? it's been a year since i was there and longer than that the time before that

Thanks
    theres a curve at both aren't there? it's been a year since i was there and longer than that the time before that
    I dont remember a curve at the I-40 one but then again hubby was driving and I was trying to NOT pay too much attention lol I just know the first time I ever drove myself and the kids to Memphis about 5 yrs ago they were so excited and I was like OMG I think I am gonna be sick so many big trucks going so fast and I just felt so closed in
    Mom I miss you already