2 cups sliced carrots

1 cup chopped cabbage

1 cup chopped celery

½ cup chopped onion

1 can (28 ounces) Italian-style tomatoes

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 beef bouillon cube

Dash oregano

In heavy 3-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, combine beef, soup bone, salt, pepper, bay leaves and 3 to 4 cups water. (Note: Add enough water to cover soup bone.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add carrots, cabbage, celery and onions. Cover. Simmer for 2½ hours or until meat is tender. Remove bone and bay leaves. Add tomatoes and juice from can, Worcestershire sauce, beef bouillon cube and oregano. Simmer for 30 minutes.

BANANA-STUFFED FRENCH TOAST

4 slices.

• Banana cream:

1 small ripe banana

1 cup heavy cream

1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

• French toast:

1 loaf white bread, unsliced

4 small or 2 large just-ripe bananas

¼ cup packed light brown sugar

½ cup chopped pecans

3 large eggs

¾ cup milk or light cream

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ tablespoon unsalted butter

To make banana cream: Using potato masher, mash banana into bowl. Scrape onto plate. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate. Pour cream into same bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until it holds soft peak. Add confectioners' sugar. Beat until it stiffens a little more. Add mashed banana, mixing on low speed. Cover. Refrigerate.

To stuff French toast: Slice bread into 4 generous½-to-1-inch slices. Make pocket in each slice by cutting piece but not all the way through. Peel bananas. Cut each into 3 lengthwise slices. (Note: If using large bananas, cut in half first.) Lay 3 slices inside each pocket. Sprinkle tops of bananas with 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoons chopped nuts.

To fry French toast: In large bowl, lightly whisk eggs until frothy. Add milk, granulated sugar and vanilla. Set aside. Put 1 tablespoon butter in skillet. Place it on burner with heat off. Melt butter over medium heat. Quickly whisk egg mixture again. Dip both sides of bread, letting it soak for 5 or 6 seconds. Place in skillet. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve immediately or place in oven on low heat until all pieces are ready. Repeat with remaining slices. Serve hot with maple syrup and a big dollop of banana cream.

{{{secret Pal}}
    Hold out bait to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.

The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who gets the cheese

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kai's "Old-Fashioned" Recipe Thread

Thanks
    Baked Ziti

1 lb. dry ziti pasta
    1 onion, chopped
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    2 (26 oz) jars spaghetti sauce
    6 oz. provolone cheese, sliced
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    6 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 Tbl grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain. In a large skillet, brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted. Makes 8 servings.
    One Nation Under God
    "If you don't like it Leave"
    With Liberty & Justice for All

Thanks

Talking

Some Super Bowl Snacks

Jalapeño Poppers

Allow some time for these -- the peppers need to freeze for 2 to 3 hours before frying. You'll also need a deep-fryer

• 24 medium jalapeño peppers

• 1 (15-oz.) jar Cheez Whiz

• 1/2 c. milk

• 1/2 c. flour

• 2 eggs

• 1 tbsp. water

• 1 c. Italian-seasoned bread crumbs

• Canola oil

Wearing plastic gloves, split the jalapeños lengthwise without removing stems. Stuff both halves with Cheez Whiz, slightly overfilling. Press halves back together. Dip jalapeños into milk, using stems as handles. Roll them in flour until lightly coated. In a shallow bowl, beat together eggs and water. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Coat stuffed jalapeños in egg mixture. Roll in breadcrumbs. Place on baking pan and freeze 2 to 3 hours.

Fill deep-fryer bowl with oil to maximum line. Preheat fryer to 374 degrees. With frying basket in upright position, place 6 to 8 frozen jalapeños in the basket. Close lid and lower basket. Deep-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Raise basket. Open lid. Remove jalapeño poppers. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

Spicy Apricot Sesame Wings

Note: To toast sesame seeds, place on baking sheet and bake in a 375-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. This recipe bakes the wings; they also can be broiled or grilled

• 1/3 c. hot cayenne pepper sauce

• 1/4 c. Dijon mustard

• 2 tbsp. oriental sesame oil

• 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

• 1/2 c. apricot jam

• 2 lb. chicken wings, split and tips discarded

• 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together hot sauce, mustard, sesame oil and vinegar in small measuring cup. Spoon 1/4 cup of this hot sauce mixture and the apricot jam into blender or food processor. Cover; process until smooth. Reserve for basting and dipping sauce.

Place wings in large bowl. Pour remaining hot sauce mixture over wings; toss to coat. Cover; marinate in refrigerator 20 minutes.

Place wings in baking pan, and discard any remaining marinade. Bake 1 hour, until fully cooked and crispy, turning halfway. Brush with 1/4 cup of the sauce during last 10 minutes of cooking.

Place wings on serving platter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with remaining sauce.

Chicken Kabobs With Thai Dipping Sauce

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. cubes

• 1 small cucumber, seeded and cut into small chunks

• 1 c. cherry tomatoes

• 2 green onions, cut into 1-in. pieces

• 2/3 c. teriyaki baste and glaze sauce

• 1/3 c. peanut butter

• 3 tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat broiler or prepare grill.

Thread chicken, cucumber, tomatoes and onions alternately onto metal skewers; set aside.

To prepare the dipping sauce, combine teriyaki baste and glaze sauce, cayenne pepper sauce, peanut butter, orange juice concentrate and garlic; mix well. Reserve 2/3 cup sauce for dipping.

Brush skewers with some remaining sauce. Place skewers on broiler pan and broil 6 inches from heat for about 10 minutes, turning and basting often with remaining sauce. (If grilling, place skewers on oiled grid. Grill over hot coals for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center, turning and basting often with remaining sauce.)

Serve skewers with Thai Dipping Sauce. Garnish as desired

Buffalo-Style Chicken Pizza

• 2 c. shredded cooked chicken

• 2 tbsp. melted butter

• 1 (12-in.) unbaked pizza crust

• 1 c. pizza sauce

• 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

• 1/2 c. diced celery

• 1/2 c. ranch or bleu cheese salad dressing

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine chicken, hot cayenne sauce and butter. Place pizza crust on baking sheets. Spread with pizza sauce and top with chicken mixture, cheese and celery; dividing evenly.

Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Drizzle with dressing. Cut into wedges to serve.

Don't forget Dessert

MAPLE CRUNCH LAYER CAKE

Maple Candy

Vegetable oil
    1 cup pure maple syrup
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (about 4 ounces)

Cake

Nonstick vegetable oil spray
    2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
    1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
    1 cup pure maple syrup
    2 large eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup buttermilk

Buttercream

1/2 cup pure maple syrup
    4 large egg whites
    2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, room temperature

For candy:
    Line baking sheet with aluminum foil; brush foil with vegetable oil. Stir maple syrup, sugar, and apple cider vinegar in heavy medium saucepan until sugar is moistened. Attach candy thermometer. Without stirring, bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat and boil until temperature registers 300°F, occasionally brushing down pan sides with wet pastry brush and swirling pan, about 7 minutes. Remove pan from heat; mix in baking soda, then nuts (mixture will foam up).

Immediately pour maple candy out onto prepared baking sheet and spread to even 1/2-inch thickness (candy begins to firm quickly). Let stand until candy hardens, at least 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover baking sheet tightly with plastic wrap and store candy at room temperature.)

For cake:
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch-diameter cake pans with 2-inch-high sides with nonstick spray. Line pan bottoms with parchment paper; spray parchment. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in medium bowl to blend.

Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add golden brown sugar and beat until blended and fluffy. Gradually beat in maple syrup (batter may look curdled). Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla extract. Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions. Divide batter between prepared pans.

Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool cakes 5 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks, peel off parchment paper, and cool cakes completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly; store at room temperature.)

For buttercream:
    Bring maple syrup to boil in small saucepan. Meanwhile, using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl until stiff peaks form. Without letting hot maple syrup touch beaters, pour 1/4 cup syrup into egg whites, beating to blend. Gradually beat in remaining hot maple syrup. Continue to beat until whites are stiff and cool, about 15 minutes. Add butter, 1 slice at a time, beating to blend after each addition (buttercream may deflate and separate; keep beating until smooth again).

Chop enough maple candy into 1/4-inch pieces to measure 1 cup; wrap remaining maple candy tightly in plastic. Place 1 cake layer on platter. Spread 1 cup buttercream over cake. Sprinkle with 1 cup maple candy pieces; press candy lightly to adhere. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining buttercream smoothly over top and sides of cake. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with cake dome; chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)

Chop enough of remaining maple candy into 1/4-inch pieces to measure 2 cups. Mince enough maple candy to measure 2 tablespoons. Press 1/4-inch pieces onto sides of cake. Sprinkle minced maple candy on top edge. Serve cake within 2 hours.

{{{secret Pal}}

The early bird might get the worm, but it's the second mouse who gets the cheese

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts
    Cape Cod Fish Chowder

2 pounds haddock fillets
    4 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    4 celery leaves, chopped
    1 bay leaf
    2-1/2 teaspoons salt
    4 whole cloves
    1 garlic clove
    1/2 cup butter
    1/4 teaspoon dill seeds
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 cup white wine or vermouth
    2 cups boiling water
    2 cups light cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place all ingredients except cream into an ungreased four to six-quart casserole and mix gently. Cover and bake for one hour. Scald cream and add just before serving. Stir to break up the fish.

SERVINGS: 8
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks

Talking

Pepper

Peppercorn, freshly ground, ranks high among food connoisseurs because it enhances without being intrusive. The tiny, wrinkled spice is only the size of a small blueberry, but humans have competed for its supply for a thousand years.

By the 15th century, demand for pepper was so high that it was used to pay tolls, rents and bribes. Portugal gained a 100-year monopoly on the spice when Vasco de Gama landed in Calcutta in 1498, but the Dutch took control in the 17th century, followed by the British in the 18th.

The many varieties of pepper are sold under their place of origin -- Malabar, Lampong, Tellicherry -- and are cultivated in more than 50 commercial strains.

Peppercorns come from the piper nigrum plant and are harvested green (for green peppercorns) and mature (dried in the sun to darken into black pepper). White pepper comes from the peppercorn's inner seed, extracted from ripe peppercorns after soaking and fermenting to loosen the skin and pulp. Pink peppercorns are from a different plant altogether, a weed sometimes called Brazilian pepper.

Once cracked, the peppercorn releases much of its oil in the form of aroma and biting flavor. Since the oil evaporates quickly, pre-ground pepper is scorned by gourmets as tasting dry and flavorless.

If you haven't yet experimented with freshly ground peppercorn, buy an inexpensive grinder with adjustable settings ranging from coarse to fine. Try mixing equal amounts of green, white, black and pink peppercorns in the grinder for some recipes.

{{{secret Pal}}

- Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Now I just KNOW somebody here can help me..

I bought my breadmaker last year but didn't get around to trying it out until this week. I've got several recipes I like and want to try in there but the old version calls for regular dry yeast and all I have right now is Bread Machine yeast. How can I convert the regular yeast measurement into what I'd need in bread machine yeast?

Is there a website somewhere that has that listed?

TIA..
    A true friend knows who you are but likes you anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 3,654 Posts

.Swiss Liver

3/4 pound calves liver
    Seasoned flour
    4 Tablespoons butter
    1 clove garlic or 2 teaspoons grated onion, optional
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 or 2 Tablespoons dry white wine

Cut liver into 2-1/2 x 1/2-inch strips. Roll strips in seasoned flour, one at a time. Place on rack to dry. Melt butter (with garlic or onion, if desired) over medium heat. Add liver, stirring to prevent sticking. Brown lightly; turn. Add lemon juice and wine. Serve hot.

SERVINGS: 4
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.** a 4 day work week & sex slaves ~ I say Tyt for PRESIDENT! Not to be taken internally, literally or seriously ....Suki ebaynni IS THAT BETTER ?

Thanks

Talking

Originally posted by Gumball1960
    Now I just KNOW somebody here can help me..

I bought my breadmaker last year but didn't get around to trying it out until this week. I've got several recipes I like and want to try in there but the old version calls for regular dry yeast and all I have right now is Bread Machine yeast. How can I convert the regular yeast measurement into what I'd need in bread machine yeast?

Is there a website somewhere that has that listed?

TIA..

http://www.breadmachinedigest.com/li...ipe_sizes.html

http://www.cyberpathway.com/whispers.../posts/59.html

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/ar...e_Recipes.html

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...6/296676.shtml

LOL None of this looks real easy but I hope it will Help
    {{{secret Pal}}

- Albert Einstein

Thanks

Talking

Vegetable Soup With Pepper and Herbs

• 2 large Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped

• 2 green onions, chopped

• 1 c. fresh or frozen peas

• 1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley

• 1/2 large zucchini, thinly sliced

• 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced

• 1 c. chopped fresh spinach

• 2 tbsp. minced fresh chives

• 1 tbsp. minced fresh basil

• 1 tbsp. dark sesame oil

• 1 tbsp. olive oil

• 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

• 1 c. nonfat broth

• Salt

• Grated Parmesan cheese

In large Dutch oven, layer vegetables and herbs in this order: tomatoes, green onions, peas, parsley, zucchini, bell pepper, spinach, chives and basil. Drizzle sesame and olive oils over top. Cover pot and cook over medium heat 10 minutes. (No need to stir vegetables. Moisture from tomatoes should keep mixture from scorching.) Add pepper and broth; cover. Cook 10 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and garnish with Parmesan to taste

{{{secret Pal}}

- Albert Einstein

...In my own lil world..

Thanks
    liver? *Hurl!*

Thanks

Talking

WILD RICE SALAD WITH PECANS AND CRANBERRIES

6 cups water

½ teaspoon salt

8 ounces wild rice (not a wild rice blend)

1/3 cup dried cranberries

1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1/3 cup pecans, coarsely chopped

6 green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced

¾ cup good-quality bottled raspberry vinaigrette

Salt to taste

Freshly ground pepper to taste

To prepare wild rice: In large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add wild rice. Cover. Reduce heat. Simmer for 50 to 60 minutes or until rice is tender. Drain. Let cool.

To make salad: Place rice in large bowl. Add cranberries, parsley, pecans, green onions and vinaigrette. Mix completely. Add salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or chill and bring to room temperature when ready to serve.

{{{secret Pal}}

- Albert Einstein