PDA

View Full Version : Comfort Food - what do you go for?

magickay
12-07-2023, 06:50 PM
I thought about this when we were having dinner at Cracker Barrel tonight - some dishes seem to bring more comfort than others. Next time we go there, I may order the chicken and dumplings (had the pot roast tonight and wasn't impressed). Do you find it varies with seasons?

Two things that carry through winter - Great Northern bean soup with ham, and of course, chili. These are both big pot recipes, so I always freeze some for later. Anyone want recipes?

One of my friends always finds mashed potatoes comforting. If it's availale on the menu as a side dish, he will order it :)

What are your 'go to' comfort foods?

3lilpigs
12-08-2023, 12:49 PM
OMG, I loooooove Cracker Barrel's hotcakes!! I order them every time I go there.......EVERY time! lol

Now that I sit here and think about it, any time I go to a restaurant like that, (Ihop, C.B., Bob's, Perkins), I always order a breakfast platter. So I guess breakfast foods are my comfort foods.

Bob Evans has a really good potroast. The beef just falls apart! Mmmmmm!!

When I'm home my comfort foods are ice cream, and cereal. I'm addicted to Fruity Pebbles:eating:

magickay
12-08-2023, 08:40 PM
I'll have to try a Cracker Barrel hotcakes for dinner! I like breakfast any time, and when we were leaving our table the other night, I noticed an older woman nearby who had ordered breakfast for dinner. When I worked at the university, my friend and I would sometimes go to IHOP or Denny's to have breakfast for lunch. Or a local Mexican restaurant to have Mexican breakfast :)

I'm not too familiar with Bob Evans - I think I saw one in Toledo, but don't remember where.

SandyC
12-09-2023, 08:44 AM
If I'm at home, I'd have to say toast with jelly OR grilled cheese sandwich.
Not sure what my "out" comfort foods would be. lol

cocoabun
12-09-2023, 11:44 AM
My comfort foods would be mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, vegetable soup, cornbread. I've never been to Bob Evans. I've only been to Cracker Barrel once, and that was many years ago. Ever since the pandemic, we haven't gone out to eat much at all, and we've kind of gotten out of the habit now. Plus, the cost of eating out keeps us from doing so. Groceries are expensive on their own, but restaurants are really high. It would be nice to eat out more, since I've been cooking so long and I'm pretty tired of it, but I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.

magickay
12-09-2023, 06:28 PM
My SO likes mac and cheese - the everyday blue box Kraft. I don't care for it. But if someone made a homemade mac and cheese with regular elbow macaroni and homemade cheese sauce and baked in the oven, I'd probably be on that.

I do like a variety of soups as comfort food - New England clam chowder, lobster bisque, beef and barley. I've never made any of those from scratch, though. And I never cared for straight tomato soup, though I do like tomato based soups like vegetable beef or something like that.

And a good grilled cheese sandwich can be just the right thing :)

magickay
12-24-2023, 06:28 PM
Today's comfort food fix was Great Northern Beans and Ham Soup. The house smells so good :) Tomorrow I take on the turkey again.

magickay
01-03-2024, 09:49 PM
Tomorrow's comfort food will be the leftover turkey chili that I had put away in the freezer. It's going to be a cold week, and a hot bowl of chili will be just the right thing :) And we added to our turkey stockpile, because Aldi had Butterball turkeys on sale at 69 cents per pound. There will be turkey pot pie in the near future!

magickay
01-08-2024, 07:38 PM
Last night's comfort food was turkey pot pie, loaded with peas and carrots, diced celery and onion, lots of white turkey, and a can of cream of chicken soup with herbs. Easy to do (premade crusts) and hearty :) Anyone have any good leftover turkey suggestions? I made some turkey salad with some mixed dark and white meat, diced celery and onion, sweet pickle relish, and mayo.

3lilpigs
01-09-2024, 04:09 PM
My comfort foods would be mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, vegetable soup, cornbread. I've never been to Bob Evans. I've only been to Cracker Barrel once, and that was many years ago. Ever since the pandemic, we haven't gone out to eat much at all, and we've kind of gotten out of the habit now. Plus, the cost of eating out keeps us from doing so. Groceries are expensive on their own, but restaurants are really high. It would be nice to eat out more, since I've been cooking so long and I'm pretty tired of it, but I'm not sure that's going to change any time soon.

I LOVE mashed potatoes!! Topped with creamed corn and gravy! (My grandfather used to call it mashed potatoes mountain and gravy lake. lol ).

You can always cash in at MyPoints for a restaurant GC. I think they still have Bob Evans. I don't see Cracker Barrel though.

3lilpigs
01-09-2024, 04:11 PM
My SO likes mac and cheese - the everyday blue box Kraft. I don't care for it. But if someone made a homemade mac and cheese with regular elbow macaroni and homemade cheese sauce and baked in the oven, I'd probably be on that.

And a good grilled cheese sandwich can be just the right thing :)

If you find a good recipe for mac n' cheese, let me know!

And a good grilled cheese sammich goes great with tomato soup, a plate of sliced cucumbers, and some cheese curls! (:lol man, I miss my grandma! That was my lunch special when I was little!)

magickay
01-10-2024, 07:59 AM
I haven't made Mac 'n' Cheese from scratch in decades - I don't have a handy recipe. I might look up a few and experiment :)

magickay
01-18-2024, 08:04 PM
Recent quick and filling dinner for me - microwaved baked potato, cut open, topped with some of that turkey chili and shredded cheese :) Hearty, warm, yummy!

magickay
02-02-2024, 09:43 AM
Cold temperatures call for warming foods :) Will post my chili recipe later - made a pot of it last night.