PDA

View Full Version : Who starts planning for winter??

Mary_Jo3
08-15-2019, 10:25 AM
I have a list of things we do to start planning for winter, I started this 20+ years ago when mom was still in her house but couldn't drive in the ice or snow, a fair weather driver. We would start somewhere in July with going through her pantry and moving all the foods close to expiration to the front so she could use it up or give it to one of the kids, check her stock of furnace filters, Duraflame logs for extra heat or if the power went out, paper goods (no one wants to run out of TP during a snow storm), couple cases of bottled water if the water main broke or the pipes froze, make sure she had a couple bags of snow melt, have the car and the furnace checked, take all the heavy blankets too big for her washer to the laundromat, put on the electric mattress pad, pick up some essentials like cough drops/syrup/medicines, coke syrup, tissues because the time to get this is before you get sick, check the flash lights, buy batteries, go to the dollar store for emergency candles, buy stamps you get the idea. She was older and lived alone and we didn't want her to want or need anything and she loved checking things off the list, it gave her a sense of security and a purpose, complete one thing a week. Now that we are retired and live out in the country surrounded by empty fields we have the same ritual, check to make sure the generator, snow thrower start and gas in the cans and some of the stuff above. No mad rush to the store when the big winter storm is predicted. Who else does this?

magickay
08-17-2019, 01:03 AM
I usually stockpile TP and tissues, and detergent as well. My sweetie drinks diet Coke, so when it goes on sale, I buy as much as I can.

Mary_Jo3
08-17-2019, 07:28 AM
Mine loves Mountain Dew. I try not to get a whole bunch when it goes onsale or he will drink it instead of anything else, like water. Left it in the garage because it was colder and some of it froze. I put it in the shower to thaw and was lucky none of the bottles split. I hate to carry heavy things or lots of things in the winter, don't want to fall on the ice one of the reasons I pick up the big or bulky items now. Heck when it's really bad we might not walk down to the mail box for a couple days or when the weather was like last year more unless I was driving to town.

3lilpigs
08-17-2019, 08:27 AM
I buy bulk when I can anyhow, so I don't really think there's anything special I do for winter. I have enough TP to last through the next 10 blizzards. lol.

One thing I do have to remember though, is to get new tires. Hope to do that before weather starts getting bad.

magickay
08-17-2019, 09:15 PM
I do tend to stock up year-round on non-perishables, especially when I have coupons. I have three bottles of Tide and two of Clorox in the basement :) Also well stocked on the cheaper shampoo that my sweetie uses, as well as disposable razors.

Mary_Jo3
09-18-2019, 04:19 AM
Found Campbells Chunky Soup for .99 a can if you buy 5, so I got 10. LOL

DAVESBABYDOLL
09-19-2019, 09:53 AM
We start Winter prep usually in October early November. Check the generator, snow blower, fill gas cans, clean fireplace, put patio furniture away etc. Put winter box in vehicles (plastic tote with blanket, flashlight, water ,food etc. Batteries, oil lamps, firewood stacked in barn and in wood bin on back porch. Food and household items we are always good on.

sunflowers
09-27-2019, 10:48 AM
My only winter planning is wishing for cooler weather, still high 90s here.
I did buy pumpkin stuff, looking forward to fall.

3lilpigs
09-27-2019, 12:19 PM
90* tomorrow in central Pa.
Pretty sure fall is on hold.
I bet we skip right over it and go to winter!

magickay
09-27-2019, 12:56 PM
We are getting a little repair work on our boiler - hope it helps the heating this winter!

magickay
10-02-2019, 09:17 PM
High temperatures in the 60s next week - it's going to start feeling like autumn...though I did sleep with the air conditioner most of last night.

3lilpigs
10-03-2019, 05:20 AM
91* yesterday.......

38* tomorrow night!!

So much for fall........HELLO WINTER! LOL

--------------------------------------------

Another suggestion to help get ready for winter:

Call your gas/electric company and see if you can sign up for a budget plan!

I'm on budget plan for my electric company, and pay the same price every month. Any shortage or overage is paid at the end of year. It helps, believe me!

DAVESBABYDOLL
10-03-2019, 11:39 AM
On Monday and Tuesday we hit a record high from 50 years ago!! 92! And it was HOT, like mid summer hot! Gone now, now on the down swing 69 today 63 tomorrow, in the 40's at night!

magickay
10-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Love the cooler night temperatures for sleeping - snuggle under a light comforter and it's snore city!

magickay
10-17-2019, 11:34 PM
The weather app says it's 43 degrees at 2:30 a.m. - I'm wearing sweatpants, long-sleeve knit shirt and a long heavy terry bathrobe. Feeling the chill...

Mary_Jo3
10-20-2019, 10:30 AM
Had the furnace on last week, it wasn't so much the cold but the damp, just enough to take the chill off, it had rained. I've always said I would put together a winter box, so many bridges and empty fields between town and home, I think I'll do that this year, just so it's mouse proof. Got to decide if I replace the tires about 500 bucks or the 20 year old car that gets mice in the winter, which reminds me I need to put in some more bait in the trunk, little critters went through 3 bags a few weeks ago, one of the things about country life. The car is rusting away but it's heavy and runs well for where I take it and if I hit a dear, it's not if I guess its' when, the car is only worth about $450. I did put a compressor in it for the A/C in the spring, boy it was so hot this year it was worth it. Need to defrost the freezer before I fill it back up and run the generator and snow thrower for about 15 minutes to make sure they are good to go and fill the gas cans. Put up the summer clothes and drag out the blankets, coats and winter wear. I need to put ice melt on my master list of things. Just babbling on.