PDA

View Full Version : Free entertainment for an evening of your time

magickay
06-19-2019, 08:28 PM
I volunteer as an usher for two community theaters in Toledo. I figured it would be a good way to see a live theater production, and I really enjoy seeing plays. The theaters here schedule five to seven plays each year, and usually need volunteers to usher or run concessions. Sometimes the shows might be something you are familiar with (last week I saw the musical version of 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels') or something you've never heard of. The duties are pretty simple, and you get to stay and watch the show. If you are curious or interested in live theater, volunteering can be a good way to add to your entertainment.

Edited to add: Usually in community theater shows, there is a Sunday afternoon matinee if you don't want to volunteer at night.

raiders4me
06-23-2019, 06:21 PM
That's a great idea!

Mary_Jo3
06-24-2019, 10:36 AM
We have Sangamon Auditorium in another town not to far away, I've seen people there as ushers in red jackets and wondered if they volunteered or were paid, I think I'll check into that. Thank You for the great idea.

magickay
10-02-2019, 10:10 PM
I was talking to another theater friend tonight. She told me that The Stranahan (larger professional theater in Toledo) now has paid ushers. It's popular because they book touring Broadway shows, and have lavish opening nights (i.e., free food and booze). The other large theater, The Valentine, still uses unpaid volunteers. They do book some touring shows as well. Those volunteers get more real training - she said one group (I think at the Stranahan) has to take CPR classes as well as other security training.