PDA

View Full Version : What's your plan for Easter?

wobblypops
03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
I have to work. We don't recognize Easter, Good Friday as a holiday. I was suppose to have Friday off as part as my regular schedule but I switched so a guy on the other night crew could have off without taking a PTO day.

I wish I wouldn't have switched. I have to go in tonight, have off Thursday, work Friday, have off Saturday & then I do my regular hours which next week is my rough week. Sunday, Monday, Thurs, Fri, Saturday night. Ugggggggggg

I wish I could make a nice Easter dinner but I can't so let me live through your holiday & tell me what you do to celebrate!

Eyore
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm staying home and cooking dinner, I know there will be ham but haven't decided yet what I am making to go with it.
Probably mashed taters, green beans, and whatever else I decide to make.
That stinks you have to work on Easter.

3lilpigs
03-27-2013, 08:04 PM
We'll be having dinner at my sisters house.
I'm feeling rather Easter-ish this year, so I might make Easter baskets for everyone! :D

wobblypops
03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
You have to make potato filling not plain ole mashed potatoes.

I wish I had a kid to make up a basket.

Qponolic
03-27-2013, 10:34 PM
We're going to color eggs on Saturday then do the usual... go to in-laws, hide eggs for the kids, fly kites and eat. A lot!

We always fly kites on Easter, kind of a tradition for us but this year the weather is supposed to be so cold. :P

Susie

wobblypops
03-27-2013, 11:43 PM
I love kites. I haven't flown one since I been a kid. It's been a little while since I did an egg hunt. Maybe 10 years or so.

pepperpot
03-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Kite flying, that's an interesting Easter tradition. I like it.

Eyore
03-28-2013, 06:57 AM
I don't care for potato filling, so that isn't something we eat. I've changed my mind though I am going to make homemade mac and cheese instead of taters.
We are dying eggs Sat with the granddaughter, she went on a egg hunt last Sun but we always do one at the house for her on Easter Sunday.

pepperpot
03-28-2013, 07:12 AM
What is potato filling? Mashed potatoes?

Eyore
03-28-2013, 07:57 AM
I don't make it so I'm not exactly sure how it is made, but I know it is made from mashed taters, I believe onions are in it, and it is baked in the oven.
I don't think I care for them because I think it changes the taters some when they are baked. I've tried them from several different people making them and I just don't care for them.
Wobblypops can probably tell you more on how they are made. I think it is a PA Dutch thing.

gmyers
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
We're making chicken and dressing, green beans, gravy, rolls and banana pudding. It'll just be me and my husband. I wish I knew some kids I could watch hunt eggs and make baskets for. I really miss that. When I was younger we'd color and hide 12 dozen eggs. The kids would find them then spend hours afterwards hiding them over again and finding them.

BeanieLuvR
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
We are having a quiet Easter at home. I'm baking a ham and making mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, and rolls to go with it. We still have cheesecake and cake from my son's birthday so that will be dessert.

wobblypops
03-28-2013, 11:51 AM
I don't celebrate holidays anymore since its just me and my husband. No need to do anything since his parents died and slowly the whole family is passing on so they have just become depressing.

There's two versions of potato filling that I make. One is the plain filling and the other one is sausage potato filling bill explain it when I'm online on the laptop. It will be easier for me but yes, it's something we do with mashed potatoes. I don't like mashed potatoes but I do like potato filling a couple times a year. I love Mac and cheese more!

wobblypops
03-29-2013, 09:02 AM
I put the potato filling in the recipe thread. It's a hard one to add because there is no set amount of the ingredients, you just kind of add how much you want to the mashed potatoes

gloria7819
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
I'll enjoy a wonderful church service celebrating the Resurrection of Christ. Then, we'll have a big Easter meal at church on Sunday night. I look forward to it every year!

BeanieLuvR
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
I love church dinners! :) We have one for Christmas but not Easter. We will go to church Easter morning but it is cancelled for Easter night.

Wobblypops I'm going to try your potato filling recipe sometime. It sounds really good. I'm sorry you have to work Easter.

wobblypops
03-29-2013, 04:44 PM
We decided to do Easter dinner tomorrow. :)

I'll be making a ham steak, potato filling, green bean wraps, cranberry sauce, crescent rolls and wilted lettuce salad. All that salad is is this: iceberg lettuce, hard boiled eggs, sliced crumbled up bacon with homemade hot bacon dressing.

wobblypops
03-30-2013, 01:15 PM
My dinner plans are canceled. I'm pulling 12 hours of OT instead. I won't have off until Tuesday morning at 5:00 AM so ill have my little dinner then

pepperpot
03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
:(..

baragabrat
03-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I don't celebrate holidays anymore since its just me and my husband. No need to do anything since his parents died and slowly the whole family is passing on so they have just become depressing.

There's two versions of potato filling that I make. One is the plain filling and the other one is sausage potato filling bill explain it when I'm online on the laptop. It will be easier for me but yes, it's something we do with mashed potatoes. I don't like mashed potatoes but I do like potato filling a couple times a year. I love Mac and cheese more!

...which is why I never fix it! Yum! (bad enough I ate those marshmallow candies!)

Jolie Rouge
03-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Plans were for church in the morning and lunch at my In Laws... desert later at my Mom's. My FIL had to go to the ER this evening ... so now it is a "wiat and see" ....

wobblypops
03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Thinking of you in these trying times, Jolie

wobblypops
03-30-2013, 09:52 PM
I could do Mac & chee every night but I limit myself to once a month or less

BeanieLuvR
03-31-2013, 06:53 PM
I ended up eating two Easter dinners. We had one at home right after church then one tonight at my inlaws.

Jolie, I hope your FIL is ok.

Eyore
04-01-2013, 04:54 AM
Wobblypops, that stinks you had to work 12 ot, but I bet you wallet likes the extra income. Extra money is always nice.

Jolie, how is your FIL doing? I hope nothing serious.

I like mac and cheese but only make it once in a while at least the homemade. I have a tendency to grab Kraft to mac to fast here.
We ended up with Ham, homemade mac and cheese, fresh broccoli, and deviled eggs.
I went to church, came home hid eggs in the house, it was raining out. Granddaughter had fun finding them and she seemed to have liked her Easter basket.
Then I finished cooking dinner and cleaned up after dinner. We play a game then after everything was done.
All in all we had a good day here.