PDA

View Full Version : Comedienne Phyllis Diller dead at 95

Jolie Rouge
08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Updated: Aug 20, 2012 2:22 PM CDT

http://raycomgroup.images.worldnow.com/images/17060326_BG1.jpg
Phyllis Diller was known for her eccentric costumes, makeup and hairdos, all of which helped craft her image as America's decidedly imperfect housewife.

LOS ANGELES (RNN) - Phyllis Diller, the legendary comedienne who debunked the pristine image of the American housewife and broke down gender barriers in the world of standup, has died, according to CBS News. She was 95 years old.

Phyllis Ada Driver was born on July 17, 1917, to parents Perry and Frances of the small town of Lima, OH. Driver, an accomplished pianist left Chicago's Sherwood Music Conservatory to elope with first husband, Sherwood Anderson Diller, in 1939.

She took up residence in San Francisco, where she would become a housewife and mother. She worked as a copywriter and journalist during the day and honed her stand-up at night in comedy clubs. Diller famously deconstructed the role of homemaker, a role society expected to be immaculate following popular sitcoms of the times like Leave it to Beaver. Her humor was self-deprecating. Her appearance - loud and proud clothing, eccentric makeup and crazily teased hair - was a direct departure from the typical portrayal of American suburbia. She was loud, raw and, at times, chaotic as she took on subjects like her fictional husband Fang and child-bearing.

But perhaps the most signature part of Diller's routine was her singular, lingering cackle, which alone would announce her entrance to a room.

Diller's first major national appearance was on the Groucho Marx-hosted game show You Bet Your Life. The successful one-liners she delivered on the revered NBC game would parlay her to fame. Life helped Diller land a booking at the Purple Onion Comedy Club. The San Francisco engagement was supposed to last two weeks, but Diller stayed for nearly two years.

Diller's fame on TV wasn't rooted in her own ill-fated starring vehicles: The Pruitts of Southampton and The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show. Rather it was her status as a mainstay on entertainment game shows and talk shows, including I've Got a Secret, Hollywood Squares and The Gong Show.

Diller began to open up about her plastic surgeries - a previously taboo subject - in the '70s. "It's a good thing that beauty is only skin deep, or I'd be rotten to the core," Diller once said.

Her efforts to stay young became an important part of her comedy routines and paved the way for future comediennes and admitted plastic surgery fans like Joan Rivers and Kathy Griffin.

Aside from television and standup, Diller also found success on the stage and in film. She famously replaced Carol Channing in Broadway's Hello Dolly! and had a good working relationship with Bob Hope, with whom she starred in B-movies and Christmas specials.

Her career endured an uptick in the late '90s after Diller landed a pair of recurring roles on the WB's 7th Heaven and CBS' The Bold and the Beautiful. In that same time frame, Diller also voiced the Queen in the hit Disney film A Bug's Life.

After departing the CBS soap in 2004, she released her final book, memoir Like a Lampshade in a Whorehouse. "My own laugh is the real thing and I've had it all my life," Diller wrote. "My father used to call me the laughing hyena. Like a yawn or a mood, it's infectious, and that's a great plus for a comic."

But Diller confessed that she didn't just turn her laugh on and off like other performers. Early on her career, the laugh was a "nervous" one. "I was scared out of my mind. The sweat ran down my back into my shoes and it was so strong with body acids that it ate the leather lining," she wrote. "That's what is known as flop sweat - it doesn't mean you're flopping; you're just petrified - and I had man-sized coat shields in my dress to try to absorb it."

Diller reprised the role of make-up artist Gladys Pope on a two-episode arc of Bold in March 2012 for the soap's 25th anniversary season. Until her death, Diller resided in Brentwood, CA, where she once served as honorary mayor. She is survived by her three children.

In addition to Sherwood, Diller was later divorced to entertainer Ward Donovan. Attorney Rob Hastings was her partner until his death in 1996.

http://www.wafb.com/story/17060326/comedienne-phyllis-diller-dead-at-95

Jolie Rouge
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
The story of Phyllis Diller's hair
By Mike Krumboltz | Yahoo! TV – 18 hours ago

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/h49cEub4B1l_Q3nBV14Mrw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMwMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/423/2012/08/20/141326653-10-jpg_224323.jpg

Iconic comedian Phyllis Diller passed away on Monday at the age of 95. The brash and beloved woman had a career that spanned decades and touched millions. One of Diller's most enduring physical traits was, of course, her wild hairdo. There's a story there.

Her trademark hair, which often looked as if she'd stuck her finger in an electric socket, came about by accident. The Los Angeles Times wrote about it in Diller's obituary. Diller once said, "I had gotten into so much trouble bleaching my hair myself that I had to go to a scalp clinic, and they gave me this comb and said brush the top of your head for circulation. My hair was standing straight up after that, but I was so busy I'd forgotten to put it back down when I'd go out on interviews for jobs. But it worked."

It wasn't broke, so she never fixed it. Diller was famous for her self-deprecating humor ("Robert Redford once asked me out. I was in his room."). She often joked about being the world's worst housewife ("They say that housework can't kill you, but why take a chance?"), and she mocked her own body ("I love to go to the doctor. Where else would a man look at me and say, 'Take off your clothes?'"). But Diller, she once admitted, actually was quite a dish back in her day.

She wore ridiculous clothes to help hide her curves. Why? One, she believed attractive women wouldn't be taken seriously in comedy. And two, so she could make fun of herself and get more laughs. She joked that instead of a chest, she had "two backs." "I started dressing more theatrically, and then I realized I couldn't make body jokes if they could see my actual figure because I had a good figure. That got me to those little dresses, and then later I designed my funny boots and gloves. I had to wear gloves because all clowns wear gloves."

Later in life, Diller took to wearing outlandish wigs. But underneath the outfits, maniacal laugh, and plastic surgery (of which, she admitted, there was plenty), there remained a thoughtful and groundbreaking comedian, ahead of her time. In response to Diller's death, Joan Rivers wrote, "The only tragedy is that Phyllis Diller was the last from an era that insisted a woman had to look funny in order to be funny."

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/the-story-of-phyllis-diller%E2%80%99s-hair.html

BeanieLuvR
08-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I always liked her. She was a true comedienne. RIP

janelle
08-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Plus she never used "blue" humor to be popular. Not sure if a woman comedian can do that today. Joan Rivers uses such filthy language. The younger crowd thinks it's funny but it's just-----filthy.