PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Way to Chill a Drink

Jolie Rouge
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
By Becky Worley | Upgrade Your Life Tue, Jul 3, 2012.

The heat of the summer is upon us. And I'm sure I'm not the only one asking: What's the fastest way to chill a drink?

Fridge

Depending on the starting temperature, cooling drinks in the fridge takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. Not nearly fast enough when you're parched.

Freezer

To speed the process, you can wrap a wet paper towel around them and stick them in the freezer. That's faster like 20 minutes. And the physics of the wet paper towel is pretty interesting. It works the same way that perspiration cools you down: evaporation draws the heat away from your skin or away from your drinks. Just don't let your drinks freeze all the way.

But 20 minutes is still too long.

Ice water

Putting your drinks in a bath of ice water chills them even faster than a freezer. Why? Because water conducts heat more easily than air. Compare sitting around in a 68-degree room to sitting around in a 68-degree tub and you'll quickly see what I mean.

To make sure, I started with cans of soda that had been sitting outside about 78 degrees. After eight minutes in an ice bath, they got down to 50F. That's way better than the fridge or freezer, but 50 degrees is still a bit too warm to be refreshing.

The Solution

I had read that putting salt in the ice water can chill your drinks even faster. Why would this work? Salt water has a lower freezing point than fresh water (which is why salt is often put on roads to prevent icy conditions), and adding salt to a bowl of ice water actually decreases the temperature of the water.

Still, I had to put this to the test. Sure enough, after 8 minutes in salted ice water, the drinks dropped to 44F. Ah, nice!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/fastest-way-chill-drink-180054349.html

comments

If you just spin the can (or bottle) in ice (not ice water) for about 2 minutes, you will be drinking an ice-cold beverage the fastest.

Did you watch the myth buster? They show Adam and Jamie trying to freeze beer the fastest way. And their solution was to use salt and ice.

This can also be used to save the food in your freezer if the power is out. Get a 5 lb bag of ice, and some water softener salt. Put half a cup of salt in the ice, and put it in a waterproof container on the top shelf of the freezer.

people, friends and neighbors. I am almost 70 years old and I have known about this since I was around 7 years old. A little update...if you use rock salt instead of table salt it is possible to actually freeze beer in a cooler. If it wasn't for us old -hits you younger kids wouldn't stand a chance.

gravittr
07-12-2012, 12:41 PM
thanks