PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever been allergic to something?

gmyers
03-01-2012, 01:09 PM
I have a rash on my hands that burns and stings and itches like the dickens. The doctor said I'm allergic to something but he doesn't know what. All he said to do was use dove hypo-allergenic soap and get something like cortaid or cortizone cream and a lotion that is medicated.. Anybody know anything else that relieves severe itching and burning and stinging? I don't know what to avoid because I don't know what I'm allergic too.

Jolie Rouge
03-01-2012, 02:29 PM
have you used any new dish soaps, laundry detergents, hygene products ?

gmyers
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
No the same ones I've always used. I'm wondering if its glutens. I'm supposed to be allergic but I eat them sometimes. It hasn't bothered me to eat them if thats what it is till the last few months. Thats when this rash appeared.

gmyers
03-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Would any of you go on a gluten fast to see if thats what the problem is? I don't know if I can do that but they're saying to do it for six to eight weeks and see if your symptoms go away. They say to talk to your doctor before doing it.

justme23
03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Do you wash your hands a lot? I'm kind of a germaphobe and I wash my hands a LOT... it makes my hands break out and burn and sting. I use medicated lotion and it helps a lot.

Aveeno makes a medicated cream that works really well on rashes.

gmyers
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Every time I go to the bathroom and while cooking But not an exorbitant amount. I don't know what it is but I know it hurts and itches like heck. And its spreading the last week. It looks bad its red and scaly to the touch. Very rough skin. Feels like sand paper. It drives me crazy itching and burning at night. Keeps me awake.This itches so bad I want to claw my skin but if I touch it starts to burn and sting really bad.

Eyore
03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Have you started or changed medicines or any new foods or drinks?

maysie
03-02-2012, 07:17 AM
With all my allergies I get that way quite often. I use Lubriderm lotion and take Benedryl when it gets bad. I have found that I can use dish soaps, bar soaps, etc. for a long time and all of sudden become allergic to ingredients in them so then I have to find new ones I am not allergic to.

justme23
03-02-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah, I'd try another hand and dish soap just to see if it could be that... although it does sound quite extreme for just that. Lubriderm is good, that's what the dermatologist told hubby to use. I use the triple action gold bond extra strength and the aveeno cause I get pretty intense cracking and it helps it not crack as much. My doc also gives me a steroid cream but I can't use it all the time cause it thins the skin, but it works well when I use it. It's called Triamcinolon 0.5%.

gmyers
03-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Have you started or changed medicines or any new foods or drinks?

The only new thing I'm using is biotin for my hair. I started taking it almost four months ago. I haven't eaten any new foods or drinks. The same thing I've always eaten and drank.

gmyers
03-02-2012, 08:09 AM
With all my allergies I get that way quite often. I use Lubriderm lotion and take Benedryl when it gets bad. I have found that I can use dish soaps, bar soaps, etc. for a long time and all of sudden become allergic to ingredients in them so then I have to find new ones I am not allergic to.

I'v never had any allergies. They say I'm allergic to gluten but I don't have any problms when I eat anything with it unless this is one. They told me that four or five years ago but I still eat glutens and I've never had a problem with it. Can you just look ay blood work results and tell if someones allergic to glutens because they never ran any other tests on me for it.

gmyers
03-02-2012, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions I'm going to the drug store and I'll look for some of them then.

justme23
03-02-2012, 08:27 AM
I don't know if they can find out by doing a blood test. I know when they tested me they did it when I had a colonoscopy. I think they actually tested my bowels or intestines... I don't really remember. All I remember is he told me to eat lots of glutens before the test.

gmyers
03-02-2012, 08:35 AM
I haven't had a colonoscopy or any other tests to see if I'm allergic to gluten. I went to a clinic after I had cultures taken and blood work done for some infections I had and the doctor said after looking at the results that I was allergic to glutens. I think I'm going to see if they'll run other tests to make sure.

Eyore
03-02-2012, 08:38 AM
If I'm reading this correctly it looks like a blood test can be done.
http://gluten-intolerance-symptoms.com/gluten-intolerance-test/

Maybe stop the biotin for now and see if that helps. If it is the biotin, I would think your symptoms will start getting better in a week. Only change one thing at a time though or you won't know what the problem could be.

BeanieLuvR
03-02-2012, 11:19 AM
They can tell from a blood test if you have celiac disease. You need to find out if you are allergic to gluten or have celiac disease. If you have celiac disease you need to be gluten free. You can have celiac disease and be asymptomatic but the damage will still being done to your villi. If you have celiac disease you can get a rash called Dermatitis Herpetiformis but it is usually found on you back, butt, knees, and elbows. My son has had it on his back and butt. They can test you for celiac disease by doing an endoscopy. It is a more definite test than just the blood test. They look to see if your villi are worn down. You can look here to see the difference between a wheat allergy and celiac disease. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wheat-allergy/DS01002 I have had a itchy rash on my hands the last few weeks. It seems to help to use lotion. I hope you can find something to help yours. If it is really bad I'd go see a dermatologist. I think he can actually take a sample of the rash and test to see if it is Dermatitis Herpetiformis. Good luck! :hug

SLance68
03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
My hands have been red and itchy lately it is due to dry skin and yes it is painful. I would find a good lotion and go from there.

gmyers
03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
They are red and itchy but they also feel scaly and rough and have little sores on them. The doctor said it was definitely an allergic reaction. I've tried lotion but it didn't seem to help. He told me to get a medicated lotion. Dermatitis herpetiformis keeps talking about clear water blisters I don't have any blisters just rough scaly skin.

nelda
03-02-2012, 01:22 PM
It really sounds like something you are coming into contact with is causing the problem since it is just your hands that are affected!

I've had a similar thing happen many times over the years, and it's always turned out to be soap of some sort, even some shampoos can bother me. My skin doesn't look sensitive, but apparently is! Also commercial buildings (even doctor, dental offices) and stores often have some very strong soap in the dispensers in their ladies' rooms. The worst problem I ever had turned out to be the soap used in an office building where I worked for many years.

I hope you find the culprit real soon!

SLance68
03-02-2012, 02:27 PM
They are red and itchy but they also feel scaly and rough and have little sores on them. The doctor said it was definitely an allergic reaction. I've tried lotion but it didn't seem to help. He told me to get a medicated lotion. Dermatitis herpetiformis keeps talking about clear water blisters I don't have any blisters just rough scaly skin.

Your hands sound like mine and it is just dry skin especially the rough and scaly. I get it every winter due to the dryer weather - which in FL dryer weather is just not normal. I have even tried some lotions that make it worse. I like Neoteric Diabetic lotion - no you don't have to be diabetic to use it and it does not leave you with a greasy mess like Eucerin and some of those others.

justme23
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Ima have to see about that diabetic lotion... I need something for my feet and I absolutely DETEST that greasy mess so many lotions leave behind. I've used the gold bond on them and it helps but (even though I have no choice with my hands) it really is not a pleasant smell lol so I only use it at night before bed.

Edited to add after reading another post: I did have an endoscopy done the same time they did the colonoscopy, so I guess they test on the top half and not the bottom half... I just really didn't remember... all I really remember is he says lots of docs tell their patients to stop eating gluten for a while before the test and that makes it come back false negative... so if you have it done that way, don't stop eating glutens.

Jolie Rouge
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Ima have to see about that diabetic lotion... I need something for my feet and I absolutely DETEST that greasy mess so many lotions leave behind. I've used the gold bond on them and it helps but (even though I have no choice with my hands) it really is not a pleasant smell lol so I only use it at night before bed.

Edited to add after reading another post: I did have an endoscopy done the same time they did the colonoscopy, so I guess they test on the top half and not the bottom half... I just really didn't remember... all I really remember is he says lots of docs tell their patients to stop eating gluten for a while before the test and that makes it come back false negative... so if you have it done that way, don't stop eating glutens.

Is there a health store near you - there is one here that is very helpful... depending on the product you may be able to add an essisial oil that would give you a more pleasant scent...