PDA

View Full Version : taxes and worker's comp ???

littlered1
02-03-2012, 06:36 PM
:confused:I have a question about doing my taxes this year and with hubby being on comp.
They didn't take taxes out of the comp checkes so they never sent a statement as to what he has received last year. Not sure if I should just figure it out or call and ask them if they are planning on sending one.
And what about next year because he will probably be lucky to be able to go back to work this year at all.
You guys have had some good advice about dealing with worker's comp so I'm sure somebody can help me. Thanks!!!

SLance68
02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
You should not get anything as it is "insurance" payment and isn't taxable.

littlered1
02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Do I claim it as income? I am more worried about next year because I dont want to have to up my deductions to cover the taxes on this income. My husband always claims zero and I am able to claim 1 and keep more of my check, so for next year I am concerned as to what it is going to bring. Thanks!!

SLance68
02-08-2012, 07:18 AM
You do NOT have to report it as you will not get a 1099 for those wages since it is technically a payment for insurance coverage which is NOT income. For instance if you got in a car wreck and got a check from your insurance company for the wreck it is not income and not taxable.

littlered1
02-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Thank you, so next year with just my income to claim we should be okay.