PDA

View Full Version : Medical Histories

jerseybarb
12-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I just had to call 911 for my housemate (Prayers needed, her name is Silvia) she was semi-conscencous and was breathing funny. They asked me her medical history and I was ashamed to admit that there was a lot I didn't know. I was going to sit her down and get her medical history typed out so if something like this happened I could just hand the paramedics the paper. So this weekend, I will get both my medical history and my husbands typed out so this wont happen again. My family is scattered all over the USA and there are no family members near me, so if both my husband and I were in trouble, no one would know what to tell the doctors

nightrider127
12-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I think that is a very good idea. In an emergency, a person tends to forget things they know. I know the last time I headed for the ER with my husband, I left all his meds here at home knowing full well that they would want to know what all he was taking.

BeanieLuvR
12-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Prayers said for Sylvia. That really is a good idea.

pepperpot
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
I just had to call 911 for my housemate (Prayers needed, her name is Silvia) she was semi-conscencous and was breathing funny. They asked me her medical history and I was ashamed to admit that there was a lot I didn't know. I was going to sit her down and get her medical history typed out so if something like this happened I could just hand the paramedics the paper. So this weekend, I will get both my medical history and my husbands typed out so this wont happen again. My family is scattered all over the USA and there are no family members near me, so if both my husband and I were in trouble, no one would know what to tell the doctors
Don't forget to list your medications with schedule and why you are taking them. (Keep it updated)

**Also keep them in an obvious, known and handy place**

Prayers & good vibes for your housemate. Is she diabetic?

wobblypops
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Sorry about your friend. I'll keep her in my thoughts

MsLynn
12-10-2011, 06:39 AM
Prayers are going up.... don't feel so bad.. we ran on a guy having a massive heart attack the other day, his wife couldn't hell us if he had any medical problems, if he took any medicines or if he was allergic to any..... married to the man and live with him every day, but can't tell us anything....its very common...

I've worked on the ambulance for years, and what we need to know the most is.. what medical conditions the patient has. what medicines they take (including any over the counter and herbal supplements of any kind), that is VERY IMPORTANT... and if they are allergic to any medicines... its always great to have a small copy in a wallet or purse, in case you're in a car wreck or out somewhere by yourself. also don't forget to ICE (in case of emergency contact after put ICE after their name) your cell phone... so we know who to notify..

also, check with your local ambulance service, ours gives out the "Vial of life". it looks like a huge prescription bottle and its kept in the fridge, if we go to someones house, especially the elderly and we always check the fridge if they live alone and can't tell us what we need to know..

jerseybarb
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM
Prayers & good vibes for your housemate. Is she diabetic?

No, she took an accidental overdose. Like me, she is a recovering alcoholic and addict, but she has trouble staying clean and sober. They had to shock her in the ambulance, she stopped breathing.
Thanks everybody for your thoughts and prayers

littlered1
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM
Prayers are being sent! Another thing which we all need to think about.... At the local funeral home they have booklets you can fill out with your final wishes and any other information they might need for an obituary. There was quite a bit not filled out in my Mom's but we knew what she wanted.