PDA

View Full Version : Going to Maine...

littlered1
07-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I am going to ride my harley to Maine in a couple of weeks. Anyone live that way? What are some good things to see? I am going through Canada and going to see the falls then into New York and onto Maine. The only thing planned so far is a Whale Watch boat trip. We are going to the Portland area. Thank you everybody!!!!

pepperpot
07-31-2011, 05:06 AM
Make sure you get yourself some lobsters on the pier......:) Enjoy your trip, I am envious!

dv8grl
07-31-2011, 03:20 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip!
I have family in Maine, but I have never been up there.
I was watching How The States Got There Shapes on hulu and they had a whole bit on how some people Southern Maine want to make a new state called South Massachusetts & in northern Maine its practically deserted.

speedygirl
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
I know Maine well. We sold our place in Old Orchard Beach three years ago. I spent every summer for over 30 years in the Portland area. In Portland spend some time in the Old Port. Lots of shops and restaurants. It's on the waterfront. You can take a ferry over to Peaks Island.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaks_Island,_Maine
Every summer we eat at the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth. It's at Two Lights State park which has some of the most beautiful rocky coast scenery plus imho the best lobster dinner ever. If you like outlet shopping, Freeport and Kittery are fun. The prices aren't all that great in my experience. It's worth the ride up to Freeport to go to LLBean. It's not too far north of Portland.
If you like kitschy stuff, The Desert of Maine is interesting. http://www.desertofmaine.com/
If you like baseball, the Red Sox minor league team, The Portland Sea Dogs are a reasonable night or afternoon out.
If you have any questions or need more suggestions feel free to ask.

ETA. Go to Old Orchard Beach! It's definitely biker friendly. It has an awesome pier, a huge carnival and fireworks on the beach a couple nights a week. The fries at the pier are my all time favorites.

Jolie Rouge
07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
can't help ya there ... but let me know if you head for the Louisiana Gulf Coast

littlered1
08-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks.... The links are great! Speedygirl, Have you been out on a whale watch trip? We will have to travel up the coast quite a ways to find one, there dont seem to be any in the Portland area listed. Do you know of a place you would recommend?