PDA

View Full Version : FDA examines link between food dyes, hyperactivity

Jolie Rouge
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Mary Clare Jalonick, Associated Press – Wed Mar 30, 6:59 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Some evidence links dyes found in everyday foods to hyperactivity in certain children, scientists and academics told a Food and Drug Administration advisory committee Wednesday.

The panel is expected to weigh in Thursday on whether studies, some of which are decades old, definitively link the dyes and the disorder. The committee may recommend that the agency further regulate food coloring, do more studies or require better labeling of the additives. They also could also recommend that the FDA do nothing at all.

The FDA has so far said there is no proven relationship between food dyes and hyperactivity in most children. But the agency has agreed with many of the studies that say for "certain susceptible children," hyperactivity and other behavioral problems may be exacerbated by food dyes and other substances in food. Studies presented Wednesday backed that assertion.

The question for the agency is whether the potential effect on a possibly small percentage of children — it is unclear just how many — should lead to an outright ban of the additives or stricter warning labels on foods.

Public health advocates and academics studying the issue agree that dyes do not appear to be the underlying cause of hyperactivity, but they say that the effects of dyes on some children is cause enough to ban the additives.

The FDA is holding the meeting in response to a 2008 petition filed by the advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest to ban Yellow 5, Red 40 and six other dyes.

Michael Jacobson, the director of that group, said at the meeting Wednesday that the only reason that dyes exist in food is to trick consumers.

"Dyes are often used to make junk food more attractive to young children, or to simulate the presence of a healthful fruit or other natural ingredient," Jacobson said, adding that some manufacturers use less dyes in the same foods sold in Europe because of concerns there over hyperactivity. "Dyes would not be missed in the food supply except by the dye manufacturers."

Jacobson conceded that completely banning the dyes would be difficult and urged the FDA to at least put warnings on food package labels.

Scientists and public advocates have debated the issue for more than 30 years as the use of dyes in food has risen steadily — consumption of food coloring has doubled since 1990, according to some estimates. The advisory panel is sifting through a variety of studies over the two-day meeting, some showing more of a clear relationship between dyes and hyperactivity than others.

The food industry is warning consumers not to rush to judgment. David Schmidt, president and CEO of International Food Information Council Foundation, a food-industry funded group, said dyes help consumers enjoy their food by maintaining or improving appearance.

Suggesting a link between the color additives and attention deficit disorder in children "could have unintended consequences, including unnecessarily frightening consumers about safe ingredients that are consumed every day," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110330/ap_on_he_me/us_food_dyes_hyperactivity

What ever happened to eating "au naturale"? Grass -fed meat is hard to come by, raw milk, gone. REAL butter. Buy from your own local farmer. There is hardly any real food sold anymore. Just genetically modified crap. Why DO we need to put dyes in our food? Because its SO processed it no longer looks good? Nature provided food in an array of colors.
S.A.D The Sad American Diet.

---

Food dye causing hyperactivity was suspected in the early to mid 70's.

The thought went nowhere as the food industry lobbied and successfully gutted the FDA and any chance of 'proving' the correlation. People in the alternative medicine movement have been preaching against these dyes for decades.

---

If there is reason to suspect any negative health issues, then why is a non-essential ingredient even being tolerated? The burden of proof of an additive's necessity and safety must be placed on the ones who make a profit, and any attempt to falsify that evidence or subvert the approval process met with the most severe of prosecution. We're killing ourselves and future generations with chemical overload. The US is the lymphoma capital of the world now, with growth in all forms of other cancers. Where's Upton Sinclair when we need him most!

---

I think they are overused. If you look at the labels on your food, they're in everything. It would be nice if they pulled back on their use regardless of whether they're harmful or not. They're definitely in the majority of products unnecessary.

---

In other words, the FDA has put out an announcement to the food-coloring industry that it is now accepting "donations."

Taterbo
03-31-2011, 12:15 AM
Makes you really wonder...Where do all of these cases of Autisim now come from...I do not remember when I was in school (the 60-70's) having that many kids in my class that had issues..Maybe a few that were odd--but not like today...We had no ESE programs ect...

dv8grl
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Dyes are often used to make junk food more attractive to young children

That says it right there....., kids shouldn't be eating junk food., its not like the kids are the one who do the grocery shopping. If parents didn't bring that crap into their homes the kids wouldn't be eating it.
When I was a kid, I much rather have had an apple or some green peppers & carrots than some damn fruit roll ups any day of the week!

Also, its kind of sick to think that most red food coloring comes from a cockroach like bug. Eww!!! Tell that to your kids and see how much they want to eat that red colored food. Google Cochineal.

Taterbo
03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
I hear ya on the junk food...We were farm kids..and looking back as to how we were raised most kids now a days would call it abusive !!!One thing we did not do, was go shopping with mom..So I guess we were not tempted...We knew better than to ask for certain things...She bought cereal for us, but is corn flakes, puffed rice or wheat, Cheerios..at Christmas we each got a box of sugary type cereal..WOW what a treat and did we make it last...We raised our own meat and poultry eggs and milk...Canned veggies..Venison was frozen each..along with hand picked berries..My mom really did not buy a lot at the market. Staples like flour,sugar, coffee.. Soft drinks were rarely found at home...but we did drink a lot of Kool aid in the summer time..made our own frozen ice pops with it too...so I guess wee did some of this red dye they speak of now...

Just different times I guess....different ways of being brought up...

Jolie Rouge
03-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Also, its kind of sick to think that most red food coloring comes from a cockroach like bug. Eww!!! Tell that to your kids and see how much they want to eat that red colored food. Google Cochineal.

LOL We went to the Insectarium in New Orleans ... they have a whole display for the bugs ... with the products made from the dye all around it ! Kids were all grossed out ....

Bliss
04-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Food dyes are in many types of food, Read the labels and see if you find "yellow #, red #" I'm certain you will find it in what people call "healthy" foods; like yogurt, cereals, and so for & so on.

Next month they will report "Food dyes are nutritional." Just like milk, one week it was good for you the next week it wasn't, then it was good for you again......

freeby4me
04-02-2011, 08:37 AM
I know someone who cant have red dye because it makes him really angry. Very strange.

Jolie Rouge
04-04-2011, 09:19 PM
The hand of Michelle Obama looms large. New target: Jell-O, Fruit Loops, and that evil of evils…Minute Maid Lemonade. Via the NYTimes, meet the war (or rather, kinetic action — h/t chap) on dyed foods:

After staunchly defending the safety of artificial food colorings, the federal government is for the first time publicly reassessing whether foods like Jell-O, Lucky Charms cereal and Minute Maid Lemonade should carry warnings that the bright artificial colorings in them worsen behavior problems like hyperactivity in some children.

The Food and Drug Administration concluded long ago that there was no definitive link between the colorings and behavior or health problems, and the agency is unlikely to change its mind any time soon. But on Wednesday and Thursday, the F.D.A. will ask a panel of experts to review the evidence and advise on possible policy changes, which could include warning labels on food.

The hearings signal that the growing list of studies suggesting a link between artificial colorings and behavioral changes in children has at least gotten regulators’ attention — and, for consumer advocates, that in itself is a victory.

In a concluding report, staff scientists from the F.D.A. wrote that while typical children might be unaffected by the dyes, those with behavioral disorders might have their conditions “exacerbated by exposure to a number of substances in food, including, but not limited to, synthetic color additives.”

Renee Shutters, a mother of two from Jamestown, N.Y., said in a telephone interview on Tuesday that two years ago, her son Trenton, then 5, was having serious behavioral problems at school until she eliminated artificial food colorings from his diet. “I know for sure I found the root cause of this one because you can turn it on and off like a switch,” Ms. Shutters said.

But Dr. Lawrence Diller, a behavioral pediatrician in Walnut Creek, Calif., said evidence that diet plays a significant role in most childhood behavioral disorders was minimal to nonexistent. “These are urban legends that won’t die,” Dr. Diller said.

The food police’s regulatory solution: More government-imposed labels, of course.

Can someone please slap a health hazard warning label on junk science queen Michelle Obama?