PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy sewing machine

poohbear 22
03-20-2011, 08:09 AM
i am a new sewer and i am looking to buy a new sewing machine nothing fancy just something that will do basic stitches and not very expensive i found a brother on the listia website but was wondering of it was a good machine for a beginning and suggentions here is the link to the one on listia http://www.listia.com/auction/1532243

littlered1
03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
How much is a credit worth? Because that is a very cheap machine. They sell that model at the local walmart and Meijers stores. I would say dont pay over 40-50 bucks for it if it is used. If there is anything wrong with it, you are looking at another 30-50 to get it adjusted. I would just buy a cheap one from walmart for under 100 dollars until you get better at sewing. Mine was the 100 dollar model and was on sale for 50 at Black Friday sales. I have had it for a year and a half with no problems. Basic machine that does everything I need it for. Good luck with it.
Let me know how Listia is if you use it a lot. I signed up but have not really used it.

SLance68
03-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Go check Amazon. That is where I got mine several years ago. I didn't buy a basic one I bought one that does all the fancy stitches and it was not very expensive. You can also search for the one you are looking at and it will have reviews of the machine on their site. HTH

poohbear 22
03-20-2011, 01:13 PM
thank you for the replies i was thinking of just buying a more expensive machine then i now it will last and i will have to check amazon and walmart for a better model

justme23
03-21-2011, 12:33 AM
I have the 100 dollar brother one. I've had it for several years and it works fine. I see no point in the machines that do all that fancy crap... I like to do that stuff by hand so that it is personal to me or whoever I give it to... but that's me and I don't work so I have the time to do it.

jedmatters
03-21-2011, 03:35 AM
I suggest fabric.com.
I bought my new one from there: free shipping, and I got a very nice one (I sew a LOT), 31 stitches, a auto needle threader, button holer, and it sews on buttons!
It cost me $124.00

They have some under $90, that are great for simple, basic things: I had one of those versions for 8 years, and it did not survive an ice storm this year (was in the back of the truck during one)

sunniekiss
03-21-2011, 09:41 AM
I bought a Brother many moons ago at Wally World. Can't remember the last time I used it. I used to make drapes & comforters but I just don't have the time or energy to sew plus now having 3 cats & having to worry about them with thread & pins so I don't bother anymore.