PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic Diet Menu Help..

Taterbo
01-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I need some help...My DH came home from his MD appointment the other day--his doc told him his sugar was on the high side..like 115..and recommended he cut back on sugar-white bread-potatoes-rice..and said he should follow a diabetic type diet to see if it comes down...

So my dilemma is I am having a hard time tying to find some sample meal plans...I was on one site and was like all gourmet style foods--crab quiche for breakfast?? Asparagus, raspberries and strawberries rather expensive meals..Obviously hubby thought this stuff sounded great..but my pocketbook does not...
So what I'mlooking for is some practical and affordable meal plans/menu's...
Now we already do not eat any white bread--only whole grain/multi grain/rye/pumpernickel..
We eat brown rice by choice and whole wheat pasta for the most part..White potaoes at times but we do eat a lot of sweet potatoes and yams...
From what I've read so far there seems to be a lot of exchanges...Like you are allowed x amount of breads/starches per day--but can break them up over the course of the day...Also I have been seeing portion control is a big thing also. Hubby says I/m going to starve him..when I try to show him what a single portion is .....he is not happy...I can't win for trying.. He is maybe 15-20 lbs overweight/non smoker/72 yo...
Oh I'm so confused...I knew I should have gone with him to the doctors...So any advise you can offer will be appreciated..Thanks in advance...

Eyore
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
American Diabetes Association http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/ they have recipes on there it looks like. It looks like there is all kinds of information on there. Maybe it will help you out some.

baragabrat
01-25-2011, 06:28 AM
My husband had a high blood-sugar level too and I'm glad you posted this. I think I will go to the library and see if they have anything that might help me with this. HIS doc recommended him losing weight, I guess he didn't say anything about the content of his diet. Thanks, Eyore. Looks like the perfect site!

Eyore
01-25-2011, 06:36 AM
My husband had a high blood-sugar level too and I'm glad you posted this. I think I will go to the library and see if they have anything that might help me with this. HIS doc recommended him losing weight, I guess he didn't say anything about the content of his diet. Thanks, Eyore. Looks like the perfect site!

Your welcome, hope it helps out.

sunniekiss
01-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Try explaining the need to change your diet to an 86 year old with a fasting blood sugar level of 153.

SLance68
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I am surprised the Dr. called 115 High? Normal is 80 to 120 so 115 seems to be perfectly in the Normal range. I am guessing the Dr. is trying to get him to really loose weight with the "threat" of diabetes to get him moving. If you call his Dr. you should be able to request an appointment with a nutrionalist/dietitian who can help you come up with a setup for the diabetic exchange diet which works really well and you do NOT have to be diabetic to use it. I would also suggest what I was told when I was diagnosed 22 years ago - get a good pair of walking shoes and put them to work - it does make the diet work better and he will feel better - just for him I would suggest you join him if possible it really sucks to have to go for a walk by yourself.

Taterbo
01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I do walk daily..I walk alot for my job..I now have him going over to check on neighbors house that is empty..So it is giving him a reason to walk daily..plus now he takes the dog with him...Then if the dog comes back and he doesn't I need to go look for him...!~!!

I found some guidelines that seem easy to use...now to get him to write down what he eats...and track it.. I need one of those Richard Simmons "Deal A Meal"...set ups...where you took away the cards as you ate certain amounts of food groups.. This might help him to understand the portions and each ones values...I also think back to see the nurse at the MD's office will help--he might be more open to listening to her...

SLance68
01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
I do walk daily..I walk alot for my job..I now have him going over to check on neighbors house that is empty..So it is giving him a reason to walk daily..plus now he takes the dog with him...Then if the dog comes back and he doesn't I need to go look for him...!~!!

I found some guidelines that seem easy to use...now to get him to write down what he eats...and track it.. I need one of those Richard Simmons "Deal A Meal"...set ups...where you took away the cards as you ate certain amounts of food groups.. This might help him to understand the portions and each ones values...I also think back to see the nurse at the MD's office will help--he might be more open to listening to her...

Very honestly don't waste the money on the deal a meal. It is the exact same as the diabetic exchange diet for 1200 calories. The reason I say don't waste the money is that they no longer use the 1200 calories - which was for women - men are at a higher calorie count than the women.

CARROLIN
01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Speaking as a diabetic, 115 is in no way a diabetic...have you thought about it as a warning, rather than the worst? your blood glucose level should be taken, before you eat,
then taken 2 hrs. after you eat. a log should be wrote down, 3 times a day for at least
once a month. Did you know, other ailments, or even stress can raise can raise your
sugar levels? I am no longer insulin dependent, after losing well over 150 lbs. As in the
diabetic diet, but i also lost muscle, and am now in a a wheelchair. My diabetes came
from obesity...use to be 300 lbs. i now weigh 110...enough about me. Each case is
different...as in you take your blood sugar after eating a danish, or maybe even 4 oz.
of orange juice. 28 grams of sugar in the later. okay. a sample diet might help you.

breakfast:
2 EGG WHITES, OR BETTER KNOWN AS EGG BEATERS, OR EQUIVALENT.
1 cup of cheerios...(artificial sweetener on side)
I CUP OF MILK
4 OZ. OF JUICE, OR 9 SMALL, OR 6 LG GRAPES...HALF APPLE, HALF ORANGE...I RECOMMEND EATING A 1/2 SIDE PORTION OF WHOLE FRUIT...IT KEEPS YOU FULLER LONGER.
1 SLICE OF WHOLE WHEAT TOAST, MAYBE A TAB OF PROMISE MARGARINE WITH A SMALL
dab OF SIMPLY FRUIT JELLY

LUNCH:
1 CAN SOUP...WHATEVER IS ON SALE...CHECK SODIUM LEVELS
6 SALTINE CRACKERS MAX
SM. SALAD W/ LIGHT DRESSING OR 1/2 SANDWICH LIGHTLY TOASTED PEANUT BUTTER, AND EVEN A LEAN HAM W/ LTO
SUGAR FREE JELLO, WITH A TBLS OF "COOL WHIP FREE"

SNACK:
2 CUPS HOT AIR POPPED CORN, OR EVEN "LIGHT" MICROWAVE STYLE...CHECK SODIUM LEVELS
MORE JELLO, OR PUDDING (SUGAR FREE)

DINNER:
AT LEAST 4 0Z SERVING OF OF WHITE MEAT...CHICKEN, LEAN PORK
ALL THE VEGGIS HE CAN HANDLE, AND, HE CAN ...
HAVE RICE... BROWN IS GOOD, AND EASY ON THE DIABETICS DIET.
ANOTHER WHOLE GRAIN BREAD, TAB OF MARGARINE.
DESSERT CAN BE THE SAME AS THE SNACK ABOVE, OR ANYTHING LOW FAT-LOW SUGAR.

1 MORE SNACK BEFORE BED TIME.

HINTS:
ALWAYS EAT WITH HIM
INVEST IN SAUCERS, NOT PLATES, SERVE HIS INDIVIDUALLY ON THE SAUCERS.
AND FOR SOME REASON, WHEN IT'S ALL LAID OUT...YOU THINK YOU HAVE MORE!
WORKED FOR ME
:proud:
GET HIM UP AND OUTTA THE HOUSE..
TELL HIM DAILY YOU LOVE HIM

GIVE HIM A "CHEAT" ON FOOD EVERY 2 WEEKS, AS LONG AS HE DONE GOOD WITH HIS
DIET...HE ALSO WANTS TO EAT WITH YOU NORMALLY. DON'T GO OVERBOARD!

THERE IS ALOT OF SUGAR-FREE PRODUCTS OUT THERE, USUALLY THEY REPLACE THE
FLAVOR WITH SATURATED FATS, ADDED SODIUM (SALT)
YOU ONLY NEED TO READ THE LABELS.

THIS, IS ONLY A STATER MENU...MORE TESTS ARE NEEDED FOR HIM SWEETIE...
HE NEEDS A AC1 TEST. (IT SHOWS HIS LEVELS OVER 3 MOS.) HE NEEDS A CHECK OF
1 TEST TO GET HIM STARTED....HE WILL HAVE TO DRINK A SUGGARY SUBSTANCE, AND THEY WILL TAKE SUGAR LEVELS BEFORE AND AFTER. THIS ONE, IS ALONG WAIT, BECAUSE DOCS WANT TO SEE HOW WELL HE TOLERATES SUGAR.
I WISH I HAD A BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL OF 115, SOMETIMES MINE GOES WELL PAST 300!

YOU TAKE CARE, AND I'M HERE IF YA NEED SOMEONE.

SMILES. CARROLIN

Taterbo
01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Wow thanks for the grat advise..This is all new to me...and so much to learn...

Eyore
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Maybe call the doctors office and find out what actually was said.

Bliss
01-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I would have never guessed 115 was high.

I have a friend who is a diabetic & his level is never under 300, he's on insulin. I have seen it as high as 450. I'm surprised he hasn't went into a diabetic coma yet. His doctor gets on him because he doesn't eat right - At the end of the day, it's only his fault for not taking care of himself.

Taterbo
01-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I am going into town on Friday, so will be stopping by the doc's office to what they have to say..I'm hoping this is more of a scare tatic for him to get up get moving and loose the extra pounds now before it becomes areal issue. and if not to get some advise as to how to deal with this situation.

Eyore
01-27-2011, 06:02 AM
That'll work probably better than calling them.