PDA

View Full Version : World leaders to discuss junk food ad ban at UN

Jolie Rouge
01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Fri Jan 21, 8:56 am ET

GENEVA – The U.N. health agency says world leaders will discuss efforts to clamp down on junk food marketing to children when they meet in New York on Sept 19-20.

The World Health Organization says heads of state will use the U.N. General Assembly meeting to talk about limiting the number and type of ads that children are exposed to.

WHO says 43 million preschool children around the world are overweight or obese. Experts talk of a "fat tsunami" that is already causing millions of premature deaths each year.
Bjorn-Inge Larsen of the Norwegian Directorate of Health told reporters Friday that he expects voluntary measures limiting junk food advertising to eventually evolve into laws banning the practice in the same way that has occurred with tobacco.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110121/ap_on_he_me/un_junk_food_meeting

Seriously ??

gmyers
01-23-2011, 10:14 PM
My husband said this would happen after they went after cigarettes. That food would be next. But something does need to be done about all the very overweight kids. If they get diabetes as young as some of them are I doubt they'll reach their forties without being seriously sick. But the parents are going to have the biggest input in their kids weight problems.

pepperpot
01-24-2011, 06:37 AM
The heck with the unstable nuclear bombs, phooey on genocide! Let's go after the real culprits in this world......that bag of chips! And by golly, we'll spend a fortune doing so in just meetings alone! :doh

Jolie Rouge
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
In a world where 15 million children die from starvation every year and over half of the people suffer from chronic hunger, the UN and World Health Organization make banning junk (i.e. high calorie) food ads a priority?

3lilpigs
01-24-2011, 02:59 PM
But something does need to be done about all the very overweight kids. .

Yeah, it's called getting your kids off their fat duffs and outside to play and exercise. Put down the freaking video game, Ipod, Iphone, and laptop, get away from the tv, and get outside!!!

(and that goes for millions of adults too).

ETA: ''Your" = in general. Not you specifically.