PDA

View Full Version : Where would I find whipping cream in a store?

gmyers
01-16-2011, 10:43 AM
A lot of recipes call for it but I don't know what it is or where you can find it in the store. And what does it taste like?

pepperpot
01-16-2011, 10:55 AM
I believe that is just Heavy Cream, therefore near the milk.

prcsanglas
01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Yep, dairy section.... usually in a paper carton and looks like the cartons of milk you get in school, just bigger.

dv8grl
01-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I believe that is just Heavy Cream, therefore near the milk.

Yup., its just Heavy Cream. Its usually pretty expensive. At my old restaurant, we would make homemade whipped cream with it, just add alittle vanilla, a little sugar & whip it with a hand mixer. YUM!

jasmine
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
I also use whipping cream to make home made like cool whip to put on pie and stuff, I found a "formal" recipe, but I usually just use the mixer while whipping add sugar untill it tastes good.

Begin with thoroughly chilled cream.
Chill mixing bowl and beaters.
Whip the cream on medium speed.
Add sugar (2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup granulated) and any flavorings while whipping cream.
Cream is whipped when soft peaks form.
For vanilla-flavored whipped cream, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
For a chocolate flavor add 2 tablespoons cocoa with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
For coffee-flavored cream add 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules and 2 tablespoons sugar.
One teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of your favorite liquor and liqueur flavors work as well.
Tips:

Use cream that has either a 36 to 40 percent milk-fat content (heavy cream) or 30 to 36 percent (light whipping cream).
Don't over-whip the cream. It turns to butter.
Sweeten whipped cream to taste, and depending on what it accompanies.
What You Need:

Heavy or Whipping Cream
Granulated Sugar
Hand or Stand Mixer
Mixing Bowl