PDA

View Full Version : Getting Excited - 1st trip to NYC!

dv8grl
12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
One of my bestest friendss' boyfriends band is playing on St.Patricks Day in Brooklyn, so I figured I'd meet her there & party!
So, I'm getting excited!
I've never been to NYC before, only a layover once in LaGuardia.
Thankfully, I have enough airline miles for a free round trip ticket, but the cost of the hotel stay will definately off-set the free plane ride.
Gee whiz ~ I remember posting a thread a few yrs back about the most "you" have paid for a hotel room., I will definately exceed any cost I have occured in the past for a hotel room in NYC! WoW! I can't believe how expensive rooms are, well..I can believe it., I just don't want to!
A friend of mine lived in NYC for years, so she's trying to hook me up with a friend of hers in Brooklyn to see if I can crash on her couch for a few days, that would definately off-set some cost there, but it looks like I'll be booking a hostel instead of a hotel. Even a hostel, bunk bed in a dorm room, with shared bathroom will run me close to $70 a nite with the taxes & what-not. I've stayed at hostels internationally before, so its no big deal for me to stay at one, but I still can't believe the cost! ...but really it doesn't matter, I've always wanted to go to NYC and you only live once, so live it up!
I have been reading all the forums on tripadvisor & studying all the subway maps, museums, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, tourist stuff and of corse, all the restaurants I want to eat at...I'm such a foodie!

Any good tips from the few of you that live there? or the lot of you who have visited?

3lilpigs
12-29-2010, 06:45 PM
You have to eat at Juniors Restaurant! OMG the food! Huge amounts of it! Good price too.
It's in Times Square, next to the Marriott Marquis.(1515 Broadway btwn 44th and 45th Sts) And the cheesecake is to die for!!

http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/our_restaurants/times_square/

Other tourisy things.......check out the big ferris wheel inside the Toys R' Us store.....
the Hershey's store, and the M&M's store!

And don't forget to stop by Ground Zero.

Breezin
12-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I've never stayed here but I here it's cheap (for NYC) and clean http://www.thepodhotel.com/index.php

we recently did this http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/ very cool

and this http://www.museumofsex.com/ kind of goofy not sure what we were expecting

Empire state building, central park (great old carousel, statue of balto, zoo, carriage rides...), I even just love to go into the library look around and then have coffee in bryant park -shopping down fifth ave -- lots of amazing restaurants

3lilpigs
12-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Empire state building,

Each time I've gone to NYC, the lines for the ESB are soooo long! So we go over to The Rockefeller Center and go up to their top floor/roof. I think it's only about 15 floors shorter, but the view is just as nice.

dv8grl
12-29-2010, 07:52 PM
I looked into The Pod, if I knew what my friend was doing, it would be helpful, but she's not even sure where the band is staying, etc... So I'm better off just making my own sleeping plans & let the rest of them do their own thing. This is a trip by myself, husband is staying home.

So far on my list is Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty, Ft. Tryon Park, The Jewish Museum, The Guggenheim, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of Modern Art, Grant's Tomb, Tom's Diner ( from Seinfeld ), Gray's Papaya, The Meatball Shop, The Dakota (where they filmed Rosemary's Baby & of corse where John Lennnon was shot) and a few Mario Batali restaurants....so far! All in less than 5 days PLUS, its St.Patty's Day & I have a concert to go to that night. All access to a punk show! A band I saw for the first time when I was 14, I've seen them about 10 times since then...not my friends' guys band, his band is opening for this punk band., Murphy's Law.

I've been in the M&M store in Vegas, I can't see spending alot of time in Times Square, I'm not into huge crowds & the "theater scene".
Plus, husband wants me to go to The Worksman Bicycle shop in Queens & see about ordering him a bike.
Like always, I'm a huge planner! It took me 8+ months to plan out our last trip, when we went to South America. And there are always things on the "to do" list that I won't get "to do".

Plus, I've applied for tickets for Late Show w/ David Letterman, The View, Regis & Kelly & Rachael Ray Show., those are on the top of my list, that is IF I am lucky enough to get tickets!

Breezin
12-29-2010, 07:59 PM
OMG I can't believe I forgot Ft. Tryon Park -- The Cloisters is one of my favorite museums of all time.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of MOMA -- but I know many people who love it.

Breezin
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
Each time I've gone to NYC, the lines for the ESB are soooo long! So we go over to The Rockefeller Center and go up to their top floor/roof. I think it's only about 15 floors shorter, but the view is just as nice.

I thought it was a bigger difference but I could be wrong, my dh's office is in the city so I see the view all the time, just had to do the touristy thing with the empire state

dv8grl
12-29-2010, 08:03 PM
OMG I can't believe I forgot Ft. Tryon Park -- The Cloisters is one of my favorite museums of all time.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of MOMA -- but I know many people who love it.
I'm a huge fan of Modern Art, so its tops on my list, others have said it should be seen before the Guggenheim, I only really want to go to the Guggenhein, because I LOVE Frank Lloyd Wright.

3lilpigs
12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I thought it was a bigger difference but I could be wrong, my dh's office is in the city so I see the view all the time, just had to do the touristy thing with the empire state

Just checked.....
Top of the Rock is 70 floors ( don't know why I was thinking 86) and the ESB is 103. About 600' taller according to the article.

You can get a combo ticket for the Rock and MOMA for $30

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/special-offers/combo-tickets/rock-moma

Breezin
12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of Modern Art, so its tops on my list, others have said it should be seen before the Guggenheim, I only really want to go to the Guggenhein, because I LOVE Frank Lloyd Wright.

The Van Gogh exhibit was definitely the highlight of moma for us (we all left going man that was one messed up dude) what will be there when you visit?

dv8grl
12-30-2010, 06:34 AM
The Van Gogh exhibit was definitely the highlight of moma for us (we all left going man that was one messed up dude) what will be there when you visit?
A Pop Art exhibit, which is my favorite kind of art, an Andy Warhol Film exhibit - I've seen most his films anyway & they are a bit out there, even for me. :) But I love Edie Sedgwick and Brigid Berlin. Also, there will be a women of photography exhibit, can't wait to see that, I love Diane Arbus's photos.
At the Jewish Museum, they are having a Houdidni exhibit & one of my favorite arists Joe Coleman will have a couple of pieces there.

I love Van Gogh, I saw a few of his pieces when we were in Buenos Aires.
I was going to major in Art History in college.
Right now, here in Seattle is a huge diaplay of Picasso paintings, drawings & sculptures.
We went the first week it opened. Fabulous!

VALENA-)45
12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
have you thought of going to the Hard Rock Cafe, it's around the corner from 42 st. and Broadway, it's like on 44 st. or 45 st. and Broadway. their food is good and they have a lot of costumes and instruments from most of the singers and stars. . the main tip i have for you is to keep your money and cards pined in your bra. if you ride the train get in the front car or the car where the conductor is. oh and how about riding the ferry. have a safe and fun trip. and don't forget to come back and tell us the details. ENJOY!!!!!

dv8grl
12-30-2010, 09:23 AM
have you thought of going to the Hard Rock Cafe, it's around the corner from 42 st. and Broadway, it's like on 44 st. or 45 st. and Broadway. their food is good and they have a lot of costumes and instruments from most of the singers and stars. . the main tip i have for you is to keep your money and cards pined in your bra. if you ride the train get in the front car or the car where the conductor is. oh and how about riding the ferry. have a safe and fun trip. and don't forget to come back and tell us the details. ENJOY!!!!!

I've been to Hard Rocks in probably 10 different cities, they do have good food, I love their cocktails & french fries., but I want to eat things that I couldn't normally eat, like bone marrow or pig belly or sea-urchin. I am an adventurous eater and love eating new things. Just the other day here, I tried squid ink pasta for the first time & loved it.

When I travel in a big city, I take my little change-purse, that has a little key ring on it & attatch it by the keyring to my pant loop, then stick that inside my pants, next to my skin. I also usually carry a fake wallet, with some change & expired gift cards, that way if I am pick-pocketed or mugged, they take that and not my real money. I walked the streets of Buenos Aires alone and had no problems... Jenna Bush, Georges daughter, got mugged in Buenos Aires while being surrounded by Secret Service. I am very street smart, most people are not! When I was in Buenos Aires, I couldn't believe how non-chalant some people were with their valuables, if I was a theif I could have made out big-time.

Breezin
12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Andy Warhol and Houdini exhibits would be neat to see -- going to go into work with dh on Tuesday I wanted to shop but might have to pop into a museum now...

As far as restaurants if there is something you are looking for let me know, we've been all over and have had all kinds of food from Thai to Basque and all the regulars Spanish, French and Italian -- a lot of them can be on the pricey side though.

dv8grl
12-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Andy Warhol and Houdini exhibits would be neat to see -- going to go into work with dh on Tuesday I wanted to shop but might have to pop into a museum now...

As far as restaurants if there is something you are looking for let me know, we've been all over and have had all kinds of food from Thai to Basque and all the regulars Spanish, French and Italian -- a lot of them can be on the pricey side though.

I know I will spend more money on food than anything else, I never deprive myself when it comes to food.. money is no object and if you have to ask the price., you can't afford it :)
I know there are a few 5 star restaurants I would love to go to ... like, Le Bernardin and Jean Georges., but they probably won't let a gutter-punk like me even in the door., except maybe to apply for a dishwashing job. :)

Breezin
12-31-2010, 09:27 AM
I know I will spend more money on food than anything else, I never deprive myself when it comes to food.. money is no object and if you have to ask the price., you can't afford it :)
I know there are a few 5 star restaurants I would love to go to ... like, Le Bernardin and Jean Georges., but they probably won't let a gutter-punk like me even in the door., except maybe to apply for a dishwashing job. :)

If money is no object, one of my absolute favorite places http://www.wd-50.com/menu.php you HAVE to have the tasting menu -- all small plates, one better than the next, a nice place but not a frou frou place like Le Cirque

dv8grl
12-31-2010, 10:26 AM
If money is no object, one of my absolute favorite places http://www.wd-50.com/menu.php you HAVE to have the tasting menu -- all small plates, one better than the next, a nice place but not a frou frou place like Le Cirque

OhYES!
I love Wylie Dufresne, his molecular gastronomic creations are WAY out there! I will have to check it out, I forgot he had a restaurant in New York, I thought his restaurant was in Chicago.
I'm trying to get a friend of mine who is a chef in Chicago to meet me in NYC, he's big into molecular gastronomy.

Breezin
12-31-2010, 10:46 AM
OhYES!
I love Wylie Dufresne, his molecular gastronomic creations are WAY out there! I will have to check it out, I forgot he had a restaurant in New York, I thought his restaurant was in Chicago.
I'm trying to get a friend of mine who is a chef in Chicago to meet me in NYC, he's big into molecular gastronomy.

Really, really worth it, but you do need reservations, one of the guys dh works with is friends with Wylie so he usually squeezes us in but there have been a couple of times when he couldn't even do that.

Oh and for lunch if you don't mind eating out of a truck I love Papa Perrone's rice balls, but dh would probably send you to the Frites 'n Meats truck...

dv8grl
12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Really, really worth it, but you do need reservations, one of the guys dh works with is friends with Wylie so he usually squeezes us in but there have been a couple of times when he couldn't even do that.

Oh and for lunch if you don't mind eating out of a truck I love Papa Perrone's rice balls, but dh would probably send you to the Frites 'n Meats truck...
I love truck food, it tends to be the best food., better than any chain restaurant.
Yesterday, we were driving thru the little hispanic part of town & noticed an old school bus that had been turned into a restaurant with people eating inside., both of us were like " We have to check that place out!".

I usually reserve restaurants at opentable.com ~ Its awesome, they give you points when you us them & dine out, then you can turn the points into gift certificates. I checked & WD-50 is on there, I just can't reserve that far in advance, but believe me., I will keep checking. Eating there is a once in a lifetime experience! I'm so excited!

dv8grl
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Got my plane tickets!
Flying in later than I was expecting, 11pm and flying out 2 days later than I expected., but thats what you get when you use your frequent flyer miles.
Now I'm just trying to determine what hostel I wanna stay at, one is right near Times Square and the other is in near Central Park West, near Columbia.

dv8grl
03-15-2011, 06:26 AM
Woo-Hoo!
Flying out later this morning.
I've been packed for days!
Can't wait to get there!

pepperpot
03-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Enjoy & take pics!!

sunniekiss
03-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I'd stay closer to Times Square but that's just me. Have fun & take lots of pictures. BTW...the fancy restaurants...your money is just as good as anyone's so go enjoy just make sure to make reservations early.

dv8grl
03-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Yay!
Made it back, had a wonderful time. I LOVE NEW YORK!!!
Stayed at Hostelling International on the Upper West Side., which was only 1 block to the subway., less than 15 minutes to Times Square, 4 blocks from Central Park. It was the perfect location.
First day, I got up from only 3hrs sleep and took the subway to Lincoln Center & made my way down to The View., hoping to get stand-by tickets...I waited in the rain for 2hrs., only to be told they had no space for stand-by viewers. Made it back to the hostel & took about an hour nap., got up and took the subway back down towards Lincoln Center / Columbus Circle again, to eat lunch at Gray's Papaya - Best Hot Dogs Ever and super Yummy Coconut Champagne! After lunch I finally got ahold of my friends who were staying in Brooklyn. I was so amased at myself (pat on my back) that I made it to Brooklyn on the subway & found them at their hotel., we spent that afternoon just walking around Brooklyn, ended up getting lost, but thats the fun of just wondering. Ended up at a bar and got happy on Kronenbourg 1664, the bartenders were hella cool and we ended up ordering take out - delivery Mexican food for dinner., then we ended up going to a club in Williamsburg, definitely wasn't my crowd...they played 2 Whitney Houston songs in less than 15 minutes., I thought I was back in 1989, so me and my friends boyfriend just got more drunk and made fun of people. He and I ended up leaving and walked back to their hotel. We passed out as soon as we got back., not for long though, I woke up hella early and treked back to the subway and made my way back to Manhattan. This being St.Patricks Day, I took a quick shower at the hostel and made it to Central Park, heading to 5th Ave., where the parade was. Well., I didn't see the parade, all the drunk idiot teenagers quickly got on my nerves, so I ended up taking the subway down to the East Village and found the Ukranian Restaurant I wanted to go to., filling up on stuffed cabbage. YUM!
By this time., I was still alittle drunk and exhausted after only getting about 8hrs sleep in 2 days., so I went back to the hostel, took an Advil PM and passed out. I ended up sleeping til 11pm., and missed the concert. No big deal., I was haggard and needed my rest!
Friday morning, I got up early and headed to Times Square to Top Of The Rock., I wanted to miss all the crowds, getting there early on Friday morning, thankfully there were only about 10 people there, I took a ton of pics and was amazed at the view, after that I started walking back to the East Village and found the Kinish Bakery I was looking for and filled up on Blueberry-Cheese Kinish, I could barely finish it. Walked down towards Chinatown, and realized that I was right by the Brooklyn Bridge, so I decided to walk across., it was really warm that day, so it was gorgeous out. By the time I made it over the bridge my feet hurt so bad that there was no way I was walking back., so I tried to find the subway back to Manhattan., I ended up getting lost and frustrated. Finally a nice older man asked me where I needed to go, and walked me to the subway.
I wanted to make it back to the hostel to change into nicer clothes and eat lunch at Le Bernardin. So scared when I walked in and asked for a table for one, and seeing the patrons inside., I was definitely out of my league., but the hostess was super nice and told me I could sit at the bar. Ordering from their Prix Fix menu 3 corses for $70, I had some of the best food in my entire life! I was almost in tears, so happy to be at Le Bernardin and eating Eric Riperts food., it was heavenly, it truly was! I really had to hold back the tears, the whole experience was to die for. The bartender ended up comping me a glass of wine. So after tip a nice $96 lunch!
Friday night was free at MOMA., so I treked down after a quick change and relax time at the hostel. What an amazing museum! I love modern art, so I was amazed at their collection., over 4 stories of every artist you could imagine. AND, they let you take pictures., so I tool pictures of about every piece they had! The Whitney Museum is also pay what you wish on Friday night., so I ended up walking all the way to the Upper East Side to The Whitney. I really wanted to go to the Whitney because they have an Art-o-Mat. After waiting in line & paying my donation, I asked where the Art-o-Mat was & they said it was broken. Wahhhh... so sad. I really did not like the Whitney. And by the time I had got there., after walking all over the East Village, Chinatown, Brooklyn Bridge and the Upper West Side., I was exhausted, my feets hurt SO BAD, that I ended up catching a taxi back to the hostel.
You couldn't have alcohol in the hostel, so I got a few beers at the little corner store and sat on the porch of the hostel, drinking beers and charging my phone. After 4 beers, I crashed.
Got up early again and took the subway to Battery Park., my friend was supposed to meet me there at 10am for the 11am ferry to The Statue of Liberty. Needless to say, so she got lost on the subway from Brooklyn and didn't end up making it to Battery Park until 1pm. The crowds at the Statue were unreal - none like I have ever seen. And never in my life have I been pushed and shoved by so many jerks. After the pedestal tour of the Statue., we were exhausted, it was hella cold, expecially being on the water with all the wind, and all the jerks pushing and shoving, we decided to skip Ellis Island and head to Chinatown for lunch.
Walking down Canal Street, dodging all the knock-off hawkers, we ended up in Little Italy and feasted on Veal and Seafood. After our late lunch we shopped in Chinatown, my friend ended up buying some tourist stuff, I ended up buying a bigger bag to being home the things I had bought. After shopping, she headed back to Brooklyn and I headed back to the hostel., where I sat on the porch, drinking beers and charging my phone.
Sunday morning, I got up early and took the subway to Times Square and headed down to the Hudson River to go to the US Naval Carrier The Intrepid. Needless did I know that there was a marathon going on, those runners were insane., as it was about 40 degrees outside., but it was fun to see them all and all the crowds cheering them on. By the time I got to the river, I realized that I couldn't cross the street because of all the runners., there was no way I was going to end up walking all the way back and around, my feet still hadn't recovered from the past few days of walking & walking. I noticed a few tourists with bags trying to cross when a cop told them they could dodge the runners and cross the street - Thank GOD! So I ran the marathon., well across the street that is! Got to The Intrepid and saw that they opened at 10 not at 9 like I thought. Oy-Vey, it was so cold that I couldn't hang out for the hr and wait for it to open, so I treked down to the nearest Starbucks and had a cup of hot coffee and waited for The Intrepid to open.
The Intrepid was amazing. Brought me back to my old Navy days. I loved it. Also got to tour a Cold War Submarine., which I loved. Bought my husband a huge book of old Armed Forces Propaganda Posters and walked down to Hells Kitchen, finding the empanada restaurant I was dying to eat at., Mama Empanadas...OMG! SOOO GOOOD....better than the empanadas I had in South America. After feasting on 4 empanadas and a few beers, I ended up buying 5 more to go and headed back to the hostel. I was so exhausted that I just sat outside and ate my empanadas went to bed.
Monday I had to check out of the hostel., so I got up early and headed to Tom's Diner and The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine. The Cathedral was amazing! I'm not a spiritual person, but I was over come by the beauty of the gigantic Cathedral., after touring the Cathedral and the grounds., I found the Hungarian Pastry Shop that I heard about and had the most delicious Chocolate Eclair. Got back to the hostel, checked out and took a taxi to the Upper East Side to the fancy hotel I was staying at for the night. The Marmara., WoW- what a hotel. So glad it was free, because it cost $285 a night (gotta love airline miles!) Managed to check-in early, after dropping off my bags., I headed down the Upper East Side and went thrift shopping. OMG ~ Those prices were outrageous! I only ended up buying a t-shirt at Goodwill. Ate lunch at Papaya King, not as good as Gray's Papaya., but still yummy! Then back to the hotel to relax until dinner. For dinner I went to an Argentinian Restaurant because they had blood sausge on their menu and Quilmes beer. The beer was great but the blood sausage and empanadas were not very good at all., very disapointing! I was going to go out that night to the gay bar down the street for cocktails and gay bingo., but I was too exhausted and needed to repack and take a hot bath, get ready to fly out the next morning.
Got up early Tues., my flight wasn't until 1:40, so I had time to relax and have breakfast at the little Greek Diner down the road. Then got back to the hotel, checked out and took a cab to LaGuardia.

That's about it.
Oh and I saw the bassist from Metallica at Midway airport on my way to New York., so that was exciting. I took a ton of pics of him-LOL!

I took a ton of pics., if anyone would like to see'em... http://www.picturetrail.com/nikihoy66

All in all., I had such a great time. I can't wait to go back. I really felt like a local.

baragabrat
03-25-2011, 06:09 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed your recount of your trip. Usually when I see posts this long, regardless of topic, I avoid. But your travels kept me interested. So glad you had such a great time in so short a time!!!

sunniekiss
03-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Glad you had a great time. I haven't been to Canal Street but hopefully I will get a bus trip to NYC this summer. Nver doing it before Christmas ever again.
I ate at Eric Rupert's 10 Arts in Philadelphia & it was expensive...well over $100. This was atreat for my ds when he graduated & he was going to college in Philadelphia.
Grey Paypaya...BEST hot dogs EVER & I don't eat them but I did. All I can say about the food in NYC is Thank GOD for fix priced menus.
My ds went to MOMA. He's an artist & loved it but his g/f didn't at all.
Clothes stores there are sooo expensive. There are some little out of the way shops on side streets that are pretty reasonable.
Pictures are awesome!

dv8grl
03-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Glad you had a great time. I haven't been to Canal Street but hopefully I will get a bus trip to NYC this summer. Nver doing it before Christmas ever again.
I ate at Eric Rupert's 10 Arts in Philadelphia & it was expensive...well over $100. This was atreat for my ds when he graduated & he was going to college in Philadelphia.
Grey Paypaya...BEST hot dogs EVER & I don't eat them but I did. All I can say about the food in NYC is Thank GOD for fix priced menus.
My ds went to MOMA. He's an artist & loved it but his g/f didn't at all.
Clothes stores there are sooo expensive. There are some little out of the way shops on side streets that are pretty reasonable.
Pictures are awesome!

Thanks!
Cancal Street was un-real. Those knock-off guys will practically follow you trying to sell you something. And it was extremely crowded on Saturday afternoon., if you go., I'd plan on going early on a Wedn. or something like that. Its a pick-pocketers dream! And be sure to haggle, even with the shop owners, especially if you are buying more than 1 item. Most all the stores carry the exact same things, so you can really haggle, saying..."well the guy down the street said he'd sell it to me for $7."
The food in NY was absolutely the best, the only bad meal I had was the last night I was there.
I would kill for those empanadas at Mama Empanada! And all the pastries! I had a few cheese danish from Au Bon Pain...OMG they were so good., I wish we had that chain here.
The thrift stores really blew my mind. Why would I spend $10 on a used shirt from H&M when I could buy a brand new shirt at H&M for $7? I understand its for charity, but c'mon! They had alot of great antique-y type items., but the more I think about it, those items have probably been sitting in their for 40+ yrs because no one in their right mind would pay those prices! :) A basic sterling silver band ring for $45?!?! I can get one on ebay for less than $10!
At Le Bernardin, they did have a cheaper Prix Fix menu for $45 where the proceeds went to City Harvest, which was so nice., I know that Eric Ripert donates all the food items he can't used to City Harvest. But they also had a more expensive $180 tasting menu! Lunch there was worth every penny! I wanted to go back on Monday for lunch, but I was so exhausted.

sunniekiss
03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Au Bon Pain...now you are making me hungry. They are in Philly too but Philly has a place called Naked Chocolate that is even better. The food is what I miss about my ds no longer living in Philly. I'm on my last 2 cupcakes from there but he & his g/f are going down in May so they will get me 2 dozen to keep in the freezer.
TGIF!