PDA

View Full Version : Would you give gifts bought from a thrift store or garage sale?

jerseybarb
12-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Many years ago, I asked my "unofficial" foster child if she wanted either : A couple of new things or a lot more nice used stuff. She said used stuff was cool. I got her a beautiful swarksi (sp) crystal choker, never worn, from a barn sale, a SLR 35mm camera (from yard sale) and a flash (from St Vincent dePaul) a little black dress (Goodwill) brass goblets (St Vincents again) and a few more things which she loved!

My co-worker's daughter didn't have much for Christmas so she went to Goodwill and St Vincents, with a little bit of $$ and some elbow grease (she wiped them down with Clorox wipes) she got a bunch of working toys that were practically new! My co-workers granddaughter is only three so she doesn't care about new or used.

I have a girlfriend who likes to do crafts with shells. So I am giving her a gallon glass jar filled with shells, some from Goodwill, garage sales and going out of business sales
I hope she likes them

So would you give nice used stuff as a gift?

Airbuswife
12-24-2010, 12:53 PM
oh heck yea!! i also wouldnt mind getting them either. who cares? just so it works, or is cleaned up, i dont care!

dv8grl
12-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Heck yeah!
Especially if its something that the person collects.
Everything I bought for my sister and MIL came from the thrift store...then again, we are all big thrift store shoppers.

jerseybarb
12-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Things are tight in my area, with a lot of businesses closing, so lots of people went the thrift shop route here. Anyways, its not about the money spent or the gifts, its about the season. Even if you are not a Christian, its a time to celebrate family, love and fellowship

Bliss
12-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Honestly, No, I would not give someone a used gift for Christmas or a used gift at any other time.

Quaker_Parrots
12-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Honestly, No, I would not give someone a used gift for Christmas or a used gift at any other time.

I hope for your sake, you never have to give a "used" gift.

dv8grl
12-24-2010, 04:14 PM

Its not like everything at thrift stores or yard sales are "used".
My sister likes old globes, globes that were made before 1989, when the Cold War ended, its not like they are making those new anymore... so I have to buy them at antique stores or thrift stores.

gmyers
12-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it as long as its nice. Wouldn't bother me to get used gifts either. I don't even mind when people recycle gifts as long as they don't give it back to the person that gave it to them. That would be embarassing.lol

justme23
12-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I'm not going to say I never would... but I never have... I collect frogs and I have received a couple that various family members have found at thrift stores... You know what, I'm just glad they think enough of me to care... it doesn't really matter where it comes from.

Bliss
12-24-2010, 06:54 PM
I didn't blast anyone because they give used gifts. I couldn't careless if you go dumpster diving for xmas gifts, it's the persons choice giving the gift.

No worries Quaker, I've never given a used gift in my 38 yrs of being alive & I don't plan on starting. That is my choice.

If used gifts were so popular - Then why is it in the swaps people complain about getting used items? Why in the rules does it always state NEW.....I'm not the only odd ball who doesn't ONLY give NEW gifts.

BeanieLuvR
12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
No, I would not have a problem giving or receiving something used. In fact my DD collects bells and I got two of them for her for Christmas from Goodwill. It is the thought that counts. Tonight my niece gave me an ornament she hand painted for us and it meant a lot to me. It doesn't have to be new to make me happy.

littlered1
12-24-2010, 08:26 PM
If you seen something in a thrift store that was the perfect present for a certain person... Of course you would buy it!
It's not like you are giving someone a sweater with holes in it or a book missing half it's pages. I am a thrift store junkie and have gotten some very cool stuff there for myself and a lot of people that mean something to me.

nightrider127
12-25-2010, 06:56 AM
No, I have never given a Thrift Store gift but it wouldn't bother me in the least to receive a gift bought at one. The fact that someone thought of me is the real gift. I love home made gifts too, they mean so much to me. It's like someone has given me a part of themself.

I noticed that the thrift stores around here were especially busy this year. A lot of people are having a really hard time making ends meet. I am glad that we have some very nice thrift stores in our area that provided gifts for those who otherwise wouldn't have been able to get gifts for their family.

3lilpigs
12-25-2010, 07:11 AM
A lot of people are having a really hard time making ends meet.

Then the last thing I'd be doing is going out and buying presents for people......new OR used. I'd be more concerned about paying my bills and keeping a roof over my head. I'd hope my friends and family would understand. (and yes, I have been in that situation).

To answer the OP's question, nope, I'm not a 'used present' giver. No particular reason....I'm just not.

With all the coupons, rebates, bonus programs, deals and sales out there, you can get new items just as cheap as some used items.

baragabrat
12-25-2010, 07:14 AM
It would just depend on what it was. I would give my granddaughters used clothes (or previously owned, whatever) but I will not give them toys, books or stuffed animals (especially) for any reason. And not because they're used or previously owned...because of germs, regardless of how they clean up. Now, if I had a dishwasher and a toy would be safe in it, I wouldn't mind buying them.

If I'm going to buy cheap, I will go to the Dollar Store and choose a cheap and safe book or toy. Would I mind receiving? It would all depend on how it is given. If it is given in love and is the best a person can do, (not that I need THE BEST) absolutely! But if it's given with no thought or caring...and this would go for any gift, then I don't want it.

nightrider127
12-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Then the last thing I'd be doing is going out and buying presents for people......new OR used. I'd be more concerned about paying my bills and keeping a roof over my head. I'd hope my friends and family would understand. (and yes, I have been in that situation).

To answer the OP's question, nope, I'm not a 'used present' giver. No particular reason....I'm just not.

With all the coupons, rebates, bonus programs, deals and sales out there, you can get new items just as cheap as some used items.

I don't recall saying a thing about not paying bills or keeping a roof over my head was not more important than buying gifts. We have been at that point too. There was a time many years ago that we couldn't buy for anyone, including our son. Luckily, my family always got for him so he never had a clue that Santa aka mom and dad didn't leave him anything.

As far as coupon, rebates, things of that nature, not everyone is aware of them or has a computer to run that type thing down. They do what they can, and for a lot fo them, that means hitting the thrift stores.

buglebe
12-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes I would and I have and I will continue to do so.

MizzouLady
12-25-2010, 10:00 AM
I have given gifts that I bought at an auction, thrift store, or yard sale. When I find something that I think someone will like, I buy it, clean it up, and gift away. I have never had anyone complain about getting a "used" gift. I have a friend who collects salt & pepper sets, and I have found many sets that are "used" but they are unique, and she appreciates them.

3lilpigs
12-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't recall saying a thing about not paying bills or keeping a roof over my head was not more important than buying gifts. .

I didn't say you did.

nightrider127
12-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I didn't say you did.

You infered it. But, it's Christmas Day, so from the nightrider, Merry Christmas.

baragabrat
12-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I love hearing stories from folks who have found real 'gems' at Salvation Army, Goodwill and the like. I wish I could find a gem....best I can do is the jigsaw puzzles that I bought the other day. They will offer hours of fun for very little. If I knew someone was a collector of a certain item and I found that item at a store like those mentioned above, I would scoop it up in a heartbeat!

jerseybarb
12-25-2010, 02:28 PM
At the beginning of this thread, I mentioned that I was going to give a friend a gallon glass jar of shells, some of which I got at Goodwill or yard sales. Well, I just got back from her place and she LOVED them! She has wanted to get back into her crafts and this is the incentive she needed

jedmatters
12-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Honestly, I never have shopped at a thrift store. I donate to them, but have never been to one to shop. I have always felt that they were there to help people in need, and I would feel guilty taking the things people may need, just because I have money in my pocket.
I do not go to garage sales, either. Just not my thing.
BUT, I HATE TO SHOP, anyway.

I have never given a used item: homemade, yes, but not used.

Taterbo
12-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I would..I have family members that collect vintage items...Where else would you find such items..Plus many thrift shops now sell many new items-thing that have never been open or used with tags still on..So why not... Makes you a little more Green !!

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-25-2010, 05:12 PM
This year, I gave my nephew a original 1980 Chicago Bears tumbler cup. But it was in mint condition and still in the plastic. I did find it at a flea market..does that count? He collects Bears stuff for his "Bearqurium" (that's his word for man cave) lol

But, to be honest. I've not given used gifts for a present. Hell, I'm a deal finder/coupon user/bargain hunter so I do pretty well on saving money.

jasmine
12-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I collect Frankoma pottery, only made in Oklahoma. So a majority of it is only found at flea markets, good will finds etc.. many rare, old (older), and great pieces are found this way, and I tend to like a majority only of the older pieces. My family knows this, so my mom got me a beatiful older piece of frankoma, which of course I know wasn't bought new, it couldn't have been, but it is beautiful, and a collectors item.
So, no I guess not particular items such as antiques or collecting maybe. But never used clothes. I know sometimes you can find clothes at goodwill or a thrift store with the tags still on it new, so that would be fine.

And jedmatters, I see some very well-to-do people shop at goodwill and thriftstores all the time, it's just not us "poor" people. I love the thrill of a bargain, and finding things cheap, and you can find some real treasures in some of these places!! There's no shame in used clothes.......

I would make something home made before I gave used (on particular items).

moonie604
12-26-2010, 02:44 AM
I don't see any problem ... whether it's new, pre-owned or home-made, it's really the thought that counts.

My oldest son collects records and he finds that garage sales, amazon, and e-bay are the only sources ... if I found one that he wanted, I'd scoop it up in a minute!!!

cabby92
12-26-2010, 07:42 AM
I both gave and received used items this year. I got vintage Coke glasses from my DIL. I love them. Why would I want cheap WalMart knock offs bought on sale instead of the real, old, heavy Coke glasses made in the 50's?

DrGrin
12-26-2010, 10:25 AM
If someone chooses to give me a gift, It's the thought that counts. It wouldn't bother me at all to receive something used, as long as it's in good usable condition.

I think it's great that my kids take a few dollars each and go into thrift stores and find things their siblings and friends would want for 50 cents or a dollar an item. I can't tell you how many books in my personal library were read once by someone, donated to a thrift store and purchased for 50 cents or less. I get previously viewed DVDs for a dollar all the time. Season sets of TV shows for $5 or less. Nice name brand clothing items still for $1-$3. You couldn't look in any of our closets and tell what came from a retail store and what came from a thrift store.

About half the items I purchased this year came from Goodwill. They were new, still in the boxes and donated by local merchants to sell. Examples- a $249 futon still in it's original box for $100. A HEPA allergy filtration machine that sells for $66 at Walmart for $19.99 including extra filters that sell for about $20 a box. My best thrift store find is the Solid Cherry Computer Armoire that my computer is sitting in. It retailed at Ashley Furniture for over $600. I paid $75 for it. :D When I go out shopping, Goodwill is my first stop. Online retail clearance deals are my second choice.

I have seen Quaker Parrots share some of the jewelry deals she has found at Goodwill on this forum, and I am jealous. I've yet to find anything like that, but I haven't given up hope. I want to go shopping at the Goodwill store in her hometown. LOL

tngirl
12-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Hell yeah, I am all about some regifting :) and I could care less how much is spent on a gift. If it is something that I would like to have I could care less if it is new or not. I will know one of my kids is getting a new camera, ipod...etc...and I will tell them to give me their old stuff as my gift...whether birthday or Christmas. One year my niece gave me one of her ceramic dolls because they didn't have money for Christmas shopping. Gifting is ALL about the THOUGHT, not the price tag and not whether it is new or used, bought or homemade.

gmyers
12-26-2010, 10:52 AM
I wish the thrift stores here had better stuff. The stuff in them looks like something someone would throw away. Not in very good condition at all. All of yours sounds nice I wish ours was like that.

Urban Cowgirl
12-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Yes I have and will again I'm sure....if the gift is perfect for someone it shouldn't matter where it came from!

VALENA-)45
12-26-2010, 12:51 PM
if, i found something someone collects, if i can find it in a goodwill store, or a used store called Blessingdales, it's a charity store where everything is free, salvation army store.

poggles3
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm a thrift shopper always, I love the deals on books specifically. I have often found items that still have tags on them at these stores and have given them to family members as gifts. As long as theres nothing wrong with it I see no reason not to give it. Also alot of my handmade gifts have come from bins at thrift stores where you can get a gallon size ziploc bag full of specific crafting items such as ribbon by the bag for $1. As far as receiving thrift items, I dont mind a bit, I'm a yard sale fanatic and I love thrift stores, and yes I'm one of the people who does not feel guilty about shopping them because I am on a VERY tight budget for items that are not an immediate necessity. DH's hours get cut once winter hits, shorter days mean shorter paychecks but not smaller bills! So I save where I can whenever I can.

littlered1
12-26-2010, 05:21 PM
About two weeks ago I bought a Harley sweatshirt from the local Salvation Army, it was brand new and originally cost close to $50.00, I paid $5.00 for it! It was for me... of course. I would say about 75% of my clothing comes from thrift stores... And I dress very well too.

I love thrift stores!

VALENA-)45
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Sorry op, not to change the subject. but, has anyone ever gotten a gift that came from the trash!! lol, i was thinking about this post and started laughing. when Sweetie and i first got together, he would give me stuffed animals that someone would throw away. like the giant gorillas and big teddy bears, and big stuffed cats. he would wash and dry them and bring it to my house and give it to me. i didn't know about it until he told, i couldn't get mad cause i had never seen it before , so it was new to me. people will take any type of gift that you give them as long as it is something they love and it is given with thought and love.

Bliss
12-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Sorry op, not to change the subject. but, has anyone ever gotten a gift that came from the trash!! lol, i was thinking about this post and started laughing. when Sweetie and i first got together, he would give me stuffed animals that someone would throw away. like the giant gorillas and big teddy bears, and big stuffed cats. he would wash and dry them and bring it to my house and give it to me. i didn't know about it until he told, i couldn't get mad cause i had never seen it before , so it was new to me. people will take any type of gift that you give them as long as it is something they love and it is given with thought and love.

Yes, In swaps on here...They say peoples trash is another person's treasure..LOL I beg to differ, the "trash" I got a few times....Yes, it all went into the trash, the person could have saved shipping cost & thrown it away on their own....lol

iluvmybaby
12-27-2010, 01:55 AM
My favorite gifts to receive are used, antique jewelery! I hate most of the new jewelery, love the antique silver and turquoise etc.

freebielover
12-27-2010, 05:13 AM
Never given a used gift & it's just not something I would personally do. Maybe a rare collectible that you couldn't get anywhere else but I'm not a fan of buying used stuff. I have a fear of stuff coming from a smoking household & smelling like smoke :)

VALENA-)45
12-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Never given a used gift & it's just not something I would personally do. Maybe a rare collectible that you couldn't get anywhere else but I'm not a fan of buying used stuff. I have a fear of stuff coming from a smoking household & smelling like smoke :) Your fear is understandible to me, cause i am a smoker. but you couldn't tell by my clothes. i use febreez when i wash clothes or anythng else. it will take the smoke smell out of anything. i used that and baking soda to get the cat piss smell out of my Crown Victoria. Sorry, op, for high jacking your post again.

prcsanglas
12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
I think it depends on the person you are giving too. My aunt gives my children things from goodwill, and garage sales for Christmas and my children don't mind at all.

Jolie Rouge
12-27-2010, 03:01 PM
It depends on the person - I thrift store shop *big time*, my sister thinks it is "beneath her" ( her words - not mine ) - so if I find a nice piece for her collection does it matter if I paid a pittance at a thrift store or big dollars at an "Antique Store" ? To her - it matters. To my firends of a like mind, they would be insulted if I paid full retail on something for them. The hunt, the sale, is part of the fun.

Having worked at a Thrift Store and uncounted garage sales ... ask yourself - where do the high end Antique Stores get their merchandise ? Estate Sales, yard sales, thrift stores, salvage stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, St Vincent's and such ... pay pennies and charge dollars - it is how they stay in business.

janelle
12-28-2010, 12:21 AM
Where do you think the things on eBay come from? Most are used items up for resale and the owner made a ton of money from people buying from it.

I love Goodwill and you can't say I am buying things poor people would buy. Goodwill is there for anyone to buy from. The money they make goes to helping the poor and putting people to work that wouldn't have a job otherwise.

I bought a china set there. 8 dinner plates, 8 saucers and 8 cups. All for 20 dollars. Each time I have a dinner party I tell people how I got the set. They love it and I think it is great.

I also know people on here re-gift. I had an item I gave in a gift exchange and got it back in another exchange. Did I mind? Not in the least, just thought it was funny and I had it to re-gift again. LOL If you can't use an item then re-gift it and let someone else who can use it get it.

pepperpot
12-28-2010, 08:02 AM
It depends on the person - I thrift store shop *big time*, my sister thinks it is "beneath her" ( her words - not mine ) - so if I find a nice piece for her collection does it matter if I paid a pittance at a thrift store or big dollars at an "Antique Store" ? To her - it matters. To my firends of a like mind, they would be insulted if I paid full retail on something for them. The hunt, the sale, is part of the fun.

Having worked at a Thrift Store and uncounted garage sales ... ask yourself - where do the high end Antique Stores get their merchandise ? Estate Sales, yard sales, thrift stores, salvage stores, Salvation Army, Goodwill, St Vincent's and such ... pay pennies and charge dollars - it is how they stay in business.

I also agree that it depends on the person and the circumstances.

If it's an antique that a person enjoys, where else would one buy an Antique? :shrug

For myself, I 'gift' to myself all the time...:lol

I'd give only to someone who is of like mind as myself.

To my kids' friends, a teacher or an aquaintance....I'd give new.

The hunt, the sale, is part of the fun.

:yeah: This is the only reason to shop anywhere.....it's all in the hunt and the sale. :)

pepperpot
12-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Honestly, I never have shopped at a thrift store. I donate to them, but have never been to one to shop. I have always felt that they were there to help people in need, and I would feel guilty taking the things people may need, just because I have money in my pocket.I do not go to garage sales, either. Just not my thing.
BUT, I HATE TO SHOP, anyway.

I have never given a used item: homemade, yes, but not used.
Many of the thrift stores are affiliated with charities....so by shopping at a thrift store, the proceeds are going to the charity. I see it as a "win/win" situation, you get a deal/they get a 'donation'.

Many times thrift stores become overloaded with 'inventory' and they do a ridiculous sale like, a dollar for a bagful, where as normally it might be a dollar per piece. So, for you to shop at a dollar per piece is better for the end receiving charity, rather than a dollar a bagful.

And, I love to shop....I'd become a professional shopper for others if I could. All the fun of the shop and none of the bills nor clutter! :p A dream job. :)

Kelsey1224
12-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I haven't in a long time, but I used to. My best friend (who passed away) collected Depression Glass...as did I. The only place we could find that stuff...particularly in S. California where much has been destroyed in earthquakes...was antique shops and thrift shops, 2nd hand shops, etc.

I also work for Disney and most of my co-workers collect things that are related to one character or another. (I collect Tigger and Belle stuff.) I once found an old Donald Duck Pez dispenser in a thrift shop...my friend's favorite character. I got it for her for her birthday a few years ago and she couldn't have been more thrilled. She still has it!

So, for me...I am looking for collectable things. That being said...if I was on a tight budget I would certainly hit the thrift stores. As people have posted already, there are many brand new with tags items there...for a fraction of the price. And, as a recipient...if the item was in good shape and something I could use, then I absolutely wouldn't mind if someone got me something that was second hand or from a thrift shop.

dv8grl
12-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I used to have a friend, who never went to thrift stores, like Jolie said, it was Beneath Her, as well, ...well, she is a puzzle fanatic, she loves the 3D puzzles, where you make a sculpture., well, everytime I would find one at the thrift store, I would call her up.. "You want me to buy this for you?", She'd always say, "Yes, Oh My God, I was looking for that one." When I'd bring it to her, showing that I only paid $3, she would freak out, those things retail for $30+,,, so in no time, she would go to the thrift stores without me., to search for more puzzles. I turned her into a thrift store junkie! :)

I'm looking forward to this Thursday, our Salvation Army, has all the clothes you can stuff in a bag for $10!!!! I SCORE!!!!!!!! Name brand clothes, tons of Ralph Lauren & DKNY! LOVES IT!!!!

baragabrat
12-28-2010, 01:16 PM
I used to have a friend, who never went to thrift stores, like Jolie said, it was Beneath Her, as well, ...well, she is a puzzle fanatic, she loves the 3D puzzles, where you make a sculpture., well, everytime I would find one at the thrift store, I would call her up.. "You want me to buy this for you?", She'd always say, "Yes, Oh My God, I was looking for that one." When I'd bring it to her, showing that I only paid $3, she would freak out, those things retail for $30+,,, so in no time, she would go to the thrift stores without me., to search for more puzzles. I turned her into a thrift store junkie! :)

I'm looking forward to this Thursday, our Salvation Army, has all the clothes you can stuff in a bag for $10!!!! I SCORE!!!!!!!! Name brand clothes, tons of Ralph Lauren & DKNY! LOVES IT!!!!

Well, I'm jealous. Our Salvation Army doesn't have any real cool stuff like that. Must say, I like paying a buck for a jigsaw puzzle rather than between $5-$20 new. A nice one can be a tad pricey.

janelle
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I guess I am a weird one but my wedding dress was from a re-sale shop. I didn't want to buy my rings from a pawn shop, although we looked. I thought it would be bad luck and I would be wearing the ring all the time.

On my dress I shopped all the stores and came across a dress at a re-sale store. Had been 1,000 new and I got it for 300. I guess I am a sucker for a bargain. I did need to alter it and I bought some new lace, etc to add to it and the veil. It worked out and someday I may be able to sell it.

Re-sale is not as good as thrift. My neice got her wedding dress at a thrift store and I see gowns in them all the time for 100 at the most. Really good if you can't afford more. I could afford to get new but am a sucker for a bargain. Oh well.

dv8grl
12-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Must say, I like paying a buck for a jigsaw puzzle rather than between $5-$20 new. A nice one can be a tad pricey. Yeah, when I called her once to tell her they had a 15,000 piece puzzle for $15, and I didn't know if she wanted it, she ran down to the thrift store to get it., I guess those 15,000 piece puzzles can run $50 & up sometimes.

The only thing I won't buy at the thrift store is shoes, socks & underware. Everything else is fair game!

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
After thinking back, yep, I have given used gifts, antique peices. I LOVE to scour flea markets, thrift stores, Goodwill etc. But usually I find things for myself, house or my kids.

I don't know if she remembers or not, but I had DBack as a swap partner a few years back and I went to a few antique stores and found her a windmill piece she collects (collected?) I had fun looking for it.

Both my daughters, my neice in law and my neice all love goodwill lol

dv8grl
12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
After thinking back, yep, I have given used gifts, antique peices. I LOVE to scour flea markets, thrift stores, Goodwill etc. But usually I find things for myself, house or my kids.

I don't know if she remembers or not, but I had DBack as a swap partner a few years back and I went to a few antique stores and found her a windmill piece she collects (collected?) I had fun looking for it.

Both my daughters, my neice in law and my neice all love goodwill lol

You'd be jealous of what my sister gave DH for the Holidays...a vintage NYQUIL ski-cap! LOL! Its SWEET! can't buy that new! :)

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-28-2010, 07:25 PM
SWEET !! I love me some cherry Nyquil lol. snap a pic of it.

newwiccan
12-28-2010, 07:28 PM
I wish the thrift stores here had better stuff. The stuff in them looks like something someone would throw away. Not in very good condition at all. All of yours sounds nice I wish ours was like that.

It's the same here. Someone told me the ones in Nashville are good but I don't know where they are.

I had a friend post on Facebook about all the authentic Coach, Dooney & Bourke, etc. purses she had found at a Good Will in St. Louis for super cheap. I was so jealous! I can't find anything like that here.

dv8grl
12-28-2010, 07:43 PM
It's the same here. Someone told me the ones in Nashville are good but I don't know where they are.

I had a friend post on Facebook about all the authentic Coach, Dooney & Bourke, etc. purses she had found at a Good Will in St. Louis for super cheap. I was so jealous! I can't find anything like that here.
I can tell you where all the best ones are in Nashville!!!!

dv8grl
12-28-2010, 08:05 PM
SWEET !! I love me some cherry Nyquil lol. snap a pic of it.

Too bad it isn't red! LOL!!
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1458/6785198/17706858/394292659.jpg

DAVESBABYDOLL
12-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Now, I like that !! But yep, be awesome in red.

Jolie Rouge
09-09-2011, 10:18 AM
I collect Frankoma pottery, only made in Oklahoma. So a majority of it is only found at flea markets, good will finds etc.. many rare, old (older), and great pieces are found this way, and I tend to like a majority only of the older pieces. My family knows this, so my mom got me a beatiful older piece of frankoma, which of course I know wasn't bought new, it couldn't have been, but it is beautiful, and a collectors item.
So, no I guess not particular items such as antiques or collecting maybe. But never used clothes. I know sometimes you can find clothes at goodwill or a thrift store with the tags still on it new, so that would be fine.

And jedmatters, I see some very well-to-do people shop at goodwill and thriftstores all the time, it's just not us "poor" people. I love the thrill of a bargain, and finding things cheap, and you can find some real treasures in some of these places!! There's no shame in used clothes.......

I would make something home made before I gave used (on particular items).

I got a email notification that this was posted in this thread .... only I got it this morning.... cue the "Twilight Zone" theme music...

Explorer 4x4'r
09-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I was all ready to post here until I saw the date.
what the heck.....

by gift, do you mean.....christmas, birthday, new baby, 1st birthday gifts? or just "saw this and had to get it for you gift"?

I would have to say NO (but I would get something like that if it was "just saw this and so 'n so likes this/these, I will get ths

I was on the receiving end of said garage sale gift and was very offended (long story behind it)

Jolie Rouge
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I was all ready to post here until I saw the date.
what the heck.....

That was pretty much my reaction when I got a notification that was over a year old... talk about a delay...

by gift, do you mean.....christmas, birthday, new baby, 1st birthday gifts? or just "saw this and had to get it for you gift"?

I would have to say NO (but I would get something like that if it was "just saw this and so 'n so likes this/these, I will get ths

I was on the receiving end of said garage sale gift and was very offended (long story behind it)

If it was New, in the box, never been used ... I don't see a problem If you bought it on ebay - it is basicly an online yard sale. Usually I would think it refers to the ""just saw this and thought of you" type....

I have bought craft/ handmade items at yard sales and used them as new baby gifts.... found a set of handsewn baby quilts for $5 each, not something you could buy in a store.

3lilpigs
09-09-2011, 12:27 PM
I got a email notification that this was posted in this thread .... only I got it this morning.... cue the "Twilight Zone" theme music...

You probably got a notification because a spammer bumped up the thread and I deleted it before you got online.

Jolie Rouge
09-09-2011, 02:59 PM
:whew: I thought my comp had gremlins

rebeccam
09-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I bought a very cute 12 mos. dress for my neice earlier in the summer at a yard sale. It still had the tags on it (it was $50 originally!). I bought it and gave it to her for her birthday. I do buy things at yard sales, but usually only give them as a gift on a special occasion if they are new with the tags or in the box. I do buy books for my grandmother, other clothes for my niece and nephew and just say "here, I got you these at a yard sale".

I would not mind at all receiving something from a yard sale or thrift store.

angelkitty
09-10-2011, 10:15 AM
i have gotten used gifts they were so nice i did not even know they where used so i would give a used gift as long as the gift is in like new condition

YYounghouse
09-11-2011, 04:26 PM
We ONLY give yard sale/thrift sale for birthdays. You can also give the birthday gal or guy something of yours they have admired. We DO go out to eat at the birthday person's pick and we eat dessert! It is a big deal for us to all have a nice meal out, so we enjoy it. Last birthday I was so happy with a framed oil painting of Paris and some paperback books. All gently used. Life is about spending time with loved ones, not going broke trying to prove that love.

:)

Jolie Rouge
09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
I have gotten some "brand new" gifts that had no thought put into them ... I'd rather get a "used" gift that is appropriate to my interests then an expensive waste of money. I once was given a $300 purse that was the most hideous patched work leather & fur - it looked like some giant cat hacked up an huge hairball. I'd rather gently used paperbacks by an author I enjoy... because it *IS* the thought that counts.

angelkitty
09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
dont look at my big kitty he did not hack up your hairball gifts LOL

SLance68
09-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I have gotten some "brand new" gifts that had no thought put into them ... I'd rather get a "used" gift that is appropriate to my interests then an expensive waste of money. I once was given a $300 purse that was the most hideous patched work leather & fur - it looked like some giant cat hacked up an huge hairball. I'd rather gently used paperbacks by an author I enjoy... because it *IS* the thought that counts.

I had no idea my brother was shopping for you. He gives the worst gifts to the point he is now ONLY allowed to give gift cards from Target, Walmart or Kohls. As for giving used gifts well my brother is usually the recipient of those - he collects Coca Cola stuff and loves it when I find something on eBay he hasn't seen before. I don't do a lot of gift giving but when I do it is usually gift cards that I get from My Points - guess that is "used" since I didn't go to the store and buy them.