PDA

View Full Version : Firefighters Let Home Burn

jasmine
10-09-2010, 06:04 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/firefighters-let-home-burn-owner-didnt-pay-annual-fee/19662595

Because of Unpaid Fee, Firefighters Let Home Burn

(Oct. 6) -- A small rural community in western Tennessee (http://www.aolnews.com/tag/tennessee) is outraged and the fire chief is nursing a black eye after firefighters stood by and watched a mobile home burn to the ground because the homeowner hadn't paid a $75 municipal fee.

South Fulton city firefighters -- equipped with trucks, hoses and other firefighting equipment -- didn't intervene to save Gene Cranick's doublewide trailer home when it caught fire last week. But they did arrive on the scene to protect the house of a neighbor, who had paid his fire subscription fee.

"I just forgot to pay my $75," Cranick told ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/tennessee-familys-home-burns-ground-firefighters-stand-watch/story?id=11806407). "I did it last year, the year before. ... It slipped my mind."

Later that day, Cranick's son Timothy went to the fire station to complain, and punched the fire chief in the face.

http://counters.gigya.com/wildfire/IMP/CXNID=2000002.0NXC/bT*xJmx*PTEyODYzNjc2ODAxMDcmcHQ9MTI4NjM2NzY4Mjk5OC ZwPTEyNTg*MTEmZD1BQkNOZXdzX1NGUF9Mb2NrZV9FbWJlZCZn/PTImbz**NTgyNDFlODdkM2U*YTc1OGUzYjgwNTU1YjEzMGEzNC ZvZj*w.gif

"He just cold-cocked him," Police Chief Andy Crocker told the Union City Daily Messenger (http://www.ucmessenger.com/news.php?viewStory=46801). The younger Cranick was arrested and charged with felony aggravated assault, and South Fulton Fire Chief David Wilds was treated and released from a hospital, Crocker said.

Firefighters in South Fulton city are under orders to respond only to fire calls within their city limits, as well as to surrounding Obion County, but only to homes there where people have signed up for a fire subscription service.

Because Cranick hadn't paid his fee, firefighters doused the border of his neighbor's property to protect that house in case the flames spread, but wouldn't help him. He lost all his possessions, plus three dogs and a cat.

"They could have been saved if they had put water on it, but they didn't do it," Cranick told MSNBC (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life/).

The fire began when Cranick's grandson set fire to some trash near the house, and the flames leapt up. Cranick said he told the 911 operator that he'd pay whatever fee was necessary, but it was too late.

"I have no problem with the way any of my people handled the situation. They did what they were supposed to do," South Fulton City Manager Jeff Vowell told the Messenger. "It's a regrettable situation any time something like this happens."

But one firefighting expert said the fee system isn't fair to homeowners or firefighters.

"Professional, career firefighters shouldn't be forced to check a list before running out the door to see which homeowners have paid up," Harold Schatisberger, president of the International Association of Fire Fighters, said in statement excerpted by MSNBC. "They get in their trucks and go."

gmyers
10-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I saw that on the news. I bet the man regrets not paying the $75 now. My sister has to pay $100 a year or they wont come out when her house is on fire. Thats because they don't have a fire department where she lives. But I do feel for the family that must have been horrible watching your house burn and then seeing them help your neighbor because he paid the money.

3lilpigs
10-10-2010, 03:28 AM
I wonder if the town Doctor would let someone die, if they had an unpaid medical bill??

Wow, I'd be suing someone. That's just BS.

jasmine
10-10-2010, 06:23 AM
I wonder if the town Doctor would let someone die, if they had an unpaid medical bill??

Wow, I'd be suing someone. That's just BS.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

If you are a true fireman at heart, I don't believe you could sit by and just watch a home (including the pets) burn to the ground. Just as if you are a doctor, you wouldn't save someones life if they didn't have health insurance.

dv8grl
10-10-2010, 08:55 AM
The pets burned to death because the homeowner thought more of busting out a garden hose than to save his animals.

Doctors let people die all the time because they don't have the money to pay for treatment.

In that county in TN, they constantly remind people thru the media & mailings that if they DO NOT PAY for fire service, then they will not get fire service. It's not that this guy just forgot, its just that he didn't want to shell out the whopping $75 a year.
He should be mad at his idiot grandson for burning trash near the house, then going inside to take a shower. The fire fighters didn't burn his house down, his grandson did.

3lilpigs
10-10-2010, 09:05 AM
The pets burned to death because the homeowner thought more of busting out a garden hose than to save his animals.

Doctors let people die all the time because they don't have the money to pay for treatment.

In that county in TN, they constantly remind people thru the media & mailings that if they DO NOT PAY for fire service, then they will not get fire service. It's not that this guy just forgot, its just that he didn't want to shell out the whopping $75 a year.
He should be mad at his idiot grandson for burning trash near the house, then going inside to take a shower. The fire fighters didn't burn his house down, his grandson did.

No one deserves to have their house burned down!! I don't care how much he owed.....it's not right. Isn't that what TAXES are for? To pay for the fire department??

(What does the fire department do when there is an auto accident? Let the person lie there and die, if they owe money?)

They could have saved the house and collected the money later. He said he forgot to pay, and told the operator that he would pay.

People burn trash in their backyards all the time, obviously the wind blew, and it got out of control. Where do you see that he went inside and took a shower??

Just absolute BS for a lousy $75. I hope he sues the crap out of them.

dv8grl
10-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I've read up more on this story than you have, check out the other news available on this story. Thats how I know the Grandson went to take a shower instead of keeping an eye on the fire., and how I know that the home owner tried to take the fire out himself instead of saving his animals.

He did not pay taxes, since he lived outside the city limits, thats why the city asked its rural residents to pay the $75 a year for fire service.

Saying you'll pay for the service after the fact would be like not paying for auto insurance then getting into an accident, then calling the insurance company & saying you'll pay them.

Quaker_Parrots
10-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Yep, it was out of the Fire Departments jurisdiction. He lived out in the county, he doesn't pay taxes to South Fulton. Fulton, KY is just as close, since they are twin cities, why didn't he expect that town's Fire Department to save his home?

I am originally from that county in TN, and it is WIDELY known, and passed along that you have to pay that for that coverage to get the Fire Dept out in case of a fire, I dont buy him forgetting, they send out notices.

If you lived out in the county, would you expect city Police Dept to respond to a call that someone was breaking into your house? I think not.

That policy has gone on for 20 years. People have always complained about having to pay for the service, those who have paid their yearly dues are safe, those who don't are playing Russian Roulette with the fate of their homes in just such a case as this.

He needs to blame his own stupidity and his grandson for losing his home, and now his ignorant son is probably going to do some jail time for assaulting the Fire Chief.

So far as auto accidents in the county, the Obion County Rescue Squad responds to in county accidents. They are a volunteer organization who gets donations from the United Way and the Red Cross and private funds to pay for their equipment and training. The men who turn out for the accidents are strictly volunteer, they dont get paid. They also put out grass fires.

hblueeyes
10-10-2010, 10:57 PM
A few years ago a neighboring town dibanned their fire department and EMT services. It is now my villages responsibility to answer their calls. I am sure someone pays, either the other town or the resident themselves when they call. I know if I call an ambulance the bill is $800. But because I am a homeowner, I do not have to pay. But if I were a renter the fire department/EMTs would render service and then bill them. When you consider how expensive it is here, $75 seems like such a small price to pay considering the alternative. However even if the were outside city limits they must still be residents of a county government and taxes are paid to the county so it baffles me that funds are not dispersed for fire services through the county. It is just sad.

Me

Quaker_Parrots
10-11-2010, 03:39 AM
It is a poor county. County taxes go for the Sheriff Department and that nice new jail complex, Schools(there are several in the county outside of city and town limits) and school busing. I am sure some go towards the roads, although there is a wheel tax when you purchase your license plate.

freeby4me
10-11-2010, 06:03 AM
You cannot run a fire department based on fees paid after the fact. It requires money to upkeep the trucks, men, equipment ect.
If they allow people to pay once they get there, why would anyone pay year after year without using the service?
Perhaps the neighbor has paid for the last fifteen years and never had to call them. Thats 1,125.00 that the neighbor has paid to ensure the fire department will show up when they call, and for what? So this guy can pay 75 bucks AFTER his house is on fire for them to put it out. No way. You cant run a fire department like that. (The neighbor paying is a generalization, I do not know how long or how much they've paid)

Breezin
10-11-2010, 07:22 AM
so if there was a small child in there they would have let them burn to death because their parents didn't pay the $75 fee?

dv8grl
10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
so if there was a small child in there they would have let them burn to death because their parents didn't pay the $75 fee?

That's such a ridiculous question.

ilovecats
10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
How is it ridiculous?Would they have let it burn anyway?

freeby4me
10-12-2010, 05:04 AM
Im sorry, where was it stated what they would have done if there had been people inside?

Better yet, wouldnt this again be his fault for not calling the fire department to begin with and then on top of leaving his animals inside the house leaving a small child instead?

delSol
10-12-2010, 06:01 AM
I think just too many people always look for the free ride - actually, many now demand it - remember this lady?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI