PDA

View Full Version : Birthday party ideas...

Urban Cowgirl
08-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Looking for birthday party suggestions. we have always had the party at home, but are considering other options too. She is 6 and is somewhat a tomboy. We have had an outdoor party and her grandfather brought her custom golf cart to give all the kids rides, we've done traditional b-day party with pin the tail type games, last year we decided to show a movie....that was a BUST! Many of the kids left the movie and trashed her room, despite the fact their folks were here.

This year she asked to have MAD Science, but we decided we want to wait until next year, if we are going to have them, I want to be able to have the full experience and that is very costly.

Any suggestions? Something that will keep the kids occupied? Thanks

Breezin
08-12-2010, 06:53 PM
3 years ago we did "old fashioned games" for my dd's party -- they were surprisingly a huge hit (musical chairs, balloon popping games etc)
2 years ago we did a "fear factor" theme -- also a huge hit

jasmine
08-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Is there a local park with a bunch of toys and stuff for the kids to play on? Or even fly kites? Perhaps a pool somewhere ?

You could always rent one of those jupiter jumps from somewhere.

Don't stress yourself over it, I think sometimes we as parents go out to much for birthday parties $$ wise, when we could do just simple things.

Breezin
08-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Is there a local park with a bunch of toys and stuff for the kids to play on? Or even fly kites? Perhaps a pool somewhere ?

You could always rent one of those jupiter jumps from somewhere.

Don't stress yourself over it, I think sometimes we as parents go out to much for birthday parties $$ wise, when we could do just simple things.

I have to agree -- although the parties were huge hits -- this year we just invited a bunch of kids over and let them go in the pool do what they wanted -- no structure at all (except for when it was time to eat and time to sing happy birthday) and the party was described as "epic"

janelle
08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree, the less structure the better. Kids can't sit still for long, make things short and sweet. Can you go to a park, get a shelter or an inside building out of the weather? They can't tear up your house that way. Decorate with balloons and party decorations. Short games, sing song, eat cake, open gifts and done. Let the kids run and play afterwards.

Urban Cowgirl
08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
3 years ago we did "old fashioned games" for my dd's party -- they were surprisingly a huge hit (musical chairs, balloon popping games etc)
2 years ago we did a "fear factor" theme -- also a huge hit

Can you tell me more about what you did for the fear factor party? Thanks

Urban Cowgirl
08-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Hmmmm....think we might go Halloween style this year...she is an October baby and I have to either have her party two weeks early or two weeks late this year, due to our schedules. Do you think a costume party would be lame? Thanks

prcsanglas
08-13-2010, 04:52 PM
My kids actually opted to have a halloween party this year rather than each of them have an individual party. We are doing costumes. When we do the individual parties I have them at a local park and the kids play on the equipment there.

Breezin
08-14-2010, 05:56 AM
I think a costume party would be fun - still interested in the fear factor stuff?

Urban Cowgirl
08-14-2010, 07:49 AM
I think a costume party would be fun - still interested in the fear factor stuff?
Yes please

meltodd69
08-14-2010, 08:35 AM
One year when DS was little we had a surprise party for him at the YMCA. The kids had a blast! We had full use of the Y, along with the pool. It was real reasonable too.

Taterbo
08-14-2010, 09:17 AM
I say a combo of Fear Factor ideas and the costumes would be fun....You could have "finger' foods, eyeball punch...Odd colored food always seems to be a hit with kids...

Breezin
08-15-2010, 10:30 AM
some of the "fear factor" things we did"

I in a deep clear cannister (like you get pretzels or cheeze balls in) I got a bunch of crickets from the pet store and put dimes at the bottom of the container -- the kids had to reach into the jar and pull out one dime at a time -- team who took out the most won.

Took a baby diaper and melted a candy bar in it to be eaten

Filled a bowl with spaghetti o's and mixed in a few raisins, they had to reach into the bowl and pull out the raisins

Had "mystery bags" some were filled with yummy things like cool whip, chips or candy -- others were filled with not so kid friendly things like brussel sprouts (which I was surprised a lot of kids liked) baby food etc

Filled a bowl with instant chocolate pudding and gummy worms -- same concept as the spaghetti o's and raisins, but the kids like it a lot more lol

blindfolded the kids and had them walk across potato chips, but told them they were walking across broken glass

There were other things too -- have to see if my dd remembers

cathych
08-15-2010, 02:40 PM
at hot as it is right now, I would definately opt for a pool party. That, along with some hotdogs/hamburgers, and maybe some cake, that would be a big hit. It would be nice if you or some parents had a pool, or maybe lived at a place where you could have a private pool for an afternoon. At age 6, they don't last too long; maybe 3 hours at the most. Another really good idea is if you have a water theme park near you; like a jungle rapids or something.

Urban Cowgirl
08-16-2010, 09:44 AM
at hot as it is right now, I would definately opt for a pool party. That, along with some hotdogs/hamburgers, and maybe some cake, that would be a big hit. It would be nice if you or some parents had a pool, or maybe lived at a place where you could have a private pool for an afternoon. At age 6, they don't last too long; maybe 3 hours at the most. Another really good idea is if you have a water theme park near you; like a jungle rapids or something.

That would be great, but her b-day is in October and we live in Maine.....LOL Afraid neither of my girls will ever have a birthday pool party!! LOL Unless of course we paid to have it an an indoor pool.

cathych
08-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I had a friend that had an indoor pool party with her girls one time; she just rented a hotel room, and used a hotel pool.