PDA

View Full Version : Jehovah's Witness's

sunflowers
08-09-2010, 08:48 AM
(I have nothing against any religion)

What do you do when someone comes to your door, they start talking right away then try to hand you stuff all about their beliefs?

I am not one to close the door on someone so I simply listen and take it. Then they say they will be back. My huband gets mad. They can tell when we are home, so I can't just not answer the door.

What is a polite way to ask them not to come back?

jasmine
08-09-2010, 09:03 AM
get a big buddah statue and put on your porch, LOL, worked for my mom......

your like me, you don't want to be rude, so you just listen for a bit and take there literature.
but then they started to want to come into my home and "speak" with me.
I had to just tell them, I am of the christian faith (or whatever you may be or just make something up :) )
and that you have enjoyed them coming by etc... but that you are just simply not interested.

once my neighbor answered the door in his spedo underwear, they never came back LOL

3lilpigs
08-09-2010, 09:14 AM
They can tell when we are home, so I can't just not answer the door.

Why not? It's your home....if you don't want to answer, you don't have to. I never answer the door if I don't know who it is, or don't want bothered. I think in the 14 yrs I've lived here, I've only answered the door maybe 10 times. lol.

I had JW's come to my door once. I was on the couch watching tv, and thought my door was locked. It wasn't and they just opened the door and peeked in. I think I scared the crap out of them by yelling something about a gun and a big dog! LOL. I've made sure BOTH doors are locked ever since then, whether I'm home or not.

But like I said, it's your house, if you don't want to answer, you don't have to.

Breezin
08-09-2010, 09:15 AM
My friends dad used to have pamphlets from his church and would say I'll take yours and read them if you take mine...

SLance68
08-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Don't answer the door. I had one this past weekend kept pounding on my front door. I finally opened the window and told them if they touched my door again I was going to call the police and have them removed.

meltodd69
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
We have 6 dogs. You don't have to touch the door and they go off lol.

captorquewrench
08-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Do not take JW literature if you disagree with their beliefs. Tell them to not come back. Ask from which kingdom Hall they operate, and call the office and request they do not come back.

BeanieLuvR
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I tell them the truth. That I have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Savior and would be glad to share my beliefs with them. They leave as fast as they can.

justme23
08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Why can't you just not answer the door? I'm very good at just not answering the door. They came here once and never came back cause I told them through the door we weren't interested. Actually, I tell EVERYONE through the door I'm not interested. I open the door for no one unless I actually know and trust them.

sunflowers
08-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Why can't you just not answer the door? I'm very good at just not answering the door. They came here once and never came back cause I told them through the door we weren't interested. Actually, I tell EVERYONE through the door I'm not interested. I open the door for no one unless I actually know and trust them.

well the garage was wide open and 2 cars were out front so they knew we were home. I just feel bad at least not answering and sending them away. Thats why I was asking what a polite way was I could say it....

pepperpot
08-09-2010, 12:58 PM
"Thank you but I'm not inerested. Have a nice day."

and if they persist....

"I'm trying really hard not to be rude. I am not interested. Have a good day."

if that doesn't do it...

I close the door.

Kelsey1224
08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I absolutely get that you don't want to be rude. But, you need to grow a backbone! There is no rule that says that you must answer the door when someone comes to it unsolicited! You didn't invite them to your home. Therefore, you owe them not one second of your time. But, if you must answer the door...I agree with Pepperpot. You are being firm, but you aren't rude.

SLance68
08-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Actually in this day and age I am surprised that anyone would answer their door to strangers. I don't consider it rude, I think it is called safety. Remember anyone can dress like a JW to get you to open the door. What if they had a gun in their pocket instead of those fliers? Better to be safe than sorry.

pepperpot
08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
What if they had a gun in their pocket instead of those fliers? Better to be safe than sorry.

Just ask...."Is that a flier in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"....:lol

tsquared
08-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Gosh lucky you can choose to not open the door or not...........i have one that lives across the street from me........

Explorer 4x4'r
08-10-2010, 08:20 AM
If/when they come and pull into my driveway (if I see them), I go outside (so the little dogs don't sneak out) and by the time they start getting out of their car/van, I wave them off and tell them to leave. One started to say something after I already told them to leave; I told him to get back in his car and get off my property.

buglebe
08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
well the garage was wide open and 2 cars were out front so they knew we were home. I just feel bad at least not answering and sending them away. Thats why I was asking what a polite way was I could say it....

Think about it. How many of your friends would drop by and expect to be invited in , unannounced? Of course it doesn't make it any nicer but they are acccustomed to being treated rudely. When you are rude to them it just reconfirms their faith. They expect to be
persecuted against. My aunt was a lovely woman, she was also a Jehovah's Witness. It is considered a failing when they can't convert family. She has a sister and 2 brothers. My dad told her they could remain in their close loving relationship if she would quit trying to convert his family. She did quit. The other brother wanted to join the JW and his wife said she would leave him if he did, he didn't join. The sister took the same attitude my father did. We remained close to her all her life. We visited her every year. After my mom died, my husband and I took my dad to see her every year.
She and I sat up late lots of nights discussing her religion but she never tried to convert me. I'm sure she was trying but it wasn't abrasive. They are very strong in their beliefs. Just don't answer the door if you don't want to.

wubbywa
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I never really knew what they believed in, I have talked with them at the door before, I am a Christian but not sure if they are or what? Dont they believe only they go to heaven or something like that?

iluvmybaby
08-10-2010, 06:01 PM
I answer the door in my undies when they show up they leave fassssssssst

3lilpigs
08-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I never really knew what they believed in, I have talked with them at the door before, I am a Christian but not sure if they are or what? Dont they believe only they go to heaven or something like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

According to the society, only Jehovah's Witnesses "have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end",[9] but that God will ultimately decide who will survive. Those whom God chooses to save—survivors and resurrected individuals—will have the opportunity to live forever in an earthly paradise, ruled by Christ and 144,000 humans raised to heaven.

Jehovah's Witnesses are best known for their door-to-door preaching, distribution of literature such as The Watchtower and Awake!, and for their refusal of military service and blood transfusions. They consider use of the name Jehovah vital for proper worship. They reject Trinitarianism, immortality of the soul, and hellfire, which they consider to be unscriptural doctrines. They do not observe celebrations such as Christmas, Easter or birthdays, which they believe have pagan origins that are not compatible with Christianity. Members commonly refer to their body of beliefs as "the Truth", and adherents consider themselves to be "in the Truth".[10] Jehovah's Witnesses consider secular society to be morally corrupt and under the influence of Satan, and limit their social interaction with non-Witnesses.

Jehovah and Jesus Christ

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus was Jehovah's only direct creation,[135] and that everything else was created by means of Christ, and that the initial unassisted act of creation uniquely identifies Jesus as God's "only-begotten Son".[136][137] Jesus served as a redeemer and a ransom sacrifice to pay for the sins of humankind.[138] They believe Jesus died on a single upright torture stake rather than the traditional cross.[139] They believe that references in the Bible to the Archangel Michael, Apollyon (a.k.a. Abaddon), and the Word all refer to Jesus.[140][141][142]

Satan

Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Satan is a spirit creature who is the ruler of the world,[134][143][144][145] and that he was at one time a perfect angel who developed feelings of self-importance, and craved worship. Satan persuaded Adam and Eve to obey him rather than God, and humanity subsequently became participants in a challenge involving the competing claims of Jehovah and Satan to universal sovereignty.[134][146] Other angels who sided with Satan became demons.[147] Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Satan and his demons were cast down to earth from heaven after October 1, 1914,[148][149] at which point the end times began.[134][150] Witnesses believe that the world is influenced by Satan and his demons, that they mislead people, and are the cause of human suffering. However, they do not believe that individual rulers or governments are under Satan's direct control.[151][152]

baragabrat
08-12-2010, 04:38 AM
We haven't had any Jehovah's Witnesses here but we used to get them down south and down state and the only way to deal with them, in my opinion, is forthrightly. Tell them not to come back in a nice voice then after that you have to be rude. That's the way it is with everything else. If folks don't get it the first/second/third time around, then your inside voice has to go and the rude voice has to come out. Sometimes folks only understand rude.

They came to my door, I told them I am not interested and closed the door and went about my business. Religion is a personal and private thing that you should only talk about when you choose to. It's no one else's business but yours and the God that you worship...unless you choose to talk about it.

jasmine
08-12-2010, 07:07 AM
True, but remember, they believe that they are doing God's work, because in the Bible it says to go out and preach the word and tell others about him (along those lines, don't remember the verse exactly). So to them, and other religions, they are just doing what God tells them to do.

baragabrat
08-12-2010, 07:07 PM
True, but remember, they believe that they are doing God's work, because in the Bible it says to go out and preach the word and tell others about him (along those lines, don't remember the verse exactly). So to them, and other religions, they are just doing what God tells them to do.

You know, I respect that about them and everyone else who wants to spread God's word, but.....if it offends me or infringes on my rights & property, then they need to get the drift and leave me alone. In my opinion the best way to spread the word of God is to live it and make folks wonder just what it is that you have and where can they get it.

hotwheelstx
08-13-2010, 03:51 AM
We have one that lives down the street from us. She tries to catch everyone coming/going from their house. Like captorquewrench stated call their Kingdom Hall. I asked this lady one time who hers was and she gave me the number/address. That was all that was EVER said to me again....even sitting in my own front yard w/the kids playing. She now avoids me like the plague. I don't think it's rude not to answer the door...it's your house, you pay for it, your privacy. I do not answer mine unless I know someone's coming or family that has a key to get in....and those 2 things don't happen often.