PDA

View Full Version : Any advice?

meltodd69
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Well, I did it! After all these years I decided to go to college.
There has to be some of you that has taken that step. Any advice????

baragabrat
07-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I never have but I want to congratulate you for taking this big step!!! I hope you do very well!!

janelle
07-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Congrats, look into free tuition you can get. They have free programs for women going back to school. I took a course and did not know about it and paid the full price.

SLance68
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Apply for a Pell Grant. They are federal grants and do not have to be repaid. Congrats and Good Luck on your endeavor. What do you want to get a degree in?

captorquewrench
07-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Your school's financial aid dept will want you to complete a FAFSA...the federal application for student aid. They automatically match you to grants, etc using this.

My other advice as a nontraditional student...don't be afraid to be involved in extracurricular groups and activities. It is a wonderful opportunity to help mentor younger students (yes, I am involved in student life and have served as officers in student organizations) it also helps your resume, especially if you are entering a new career field from before you went to school.

Take the courses you need, but also some you want.

And, talk to a career counselor or your academic advisor about your life/career goals EARLY to make sure you have enrolled in the right program or school for you and what you plan to do.

Get a housekeeper.

meltodd69
07-23-2010, 08:17 PM
I am getting my Accounting Degree. I have been a Certified Tax Preparer for years and thought it would be the perfect choice.
I got the Pell Grant and it pays for almost all of it. Then I got the Subsidized loan for the rest. My advisor gave me a huge list of Scholarships to apply for, so hopefully I get some of them. Then it will all be paid for.
I didn't think about it helping on my resume' joining the groups and clubs. Gonna have to check into them.

captorquewrench
07-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, getting involved with clubs and organizations really helps, part of the message it sends is that when you go to work you will do more than the bare minimum showing up, do your job, and leave. It's what "I give a damn" looks like. Plus, it can be a lot fun!

I am not kidding about the hosuekeeper.

The other thing is...get very structured with time. Including time away from the house and books. Budget for that. Do not miss taking time for you and do NOT like I did and let it get in the way of spending time with friends and family. I have had some relationships suffer from going back to school.

magickay
07-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Congratulations on continuing your education! Don't hesitate to seek out help from the TA (teaching assistant) or the instructor. Some student organizations offer tutoring -- where I work, the honors organization for our department provides peer tutoring for several core classes. And I agree with captorquewrench...structure your time. I've seen some students (myself included!) really flounder before they built a good time management structure...

BeanieLuvR
07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats and good luck! I think you picked a great major. :) Hope all of the finances fall into place for you.

buglebe
07-25-2010, 02:20 AM
I think it is the most wonderful thing you can do for yourself. I know you are a little older than I was since you are a granny but I went back at 30, with 3 small children. My advice is to study everyday. Yes if you can afford a maid by all means get one. If not, don't sweat the small stuff. Start assignments earlier rather than later. And most of all enjoy every minute of it you can! I don't know what you have been doing up to this time but I had been leading a very sheltered life just raising my babies and leading a moderately busy social life while my husband was going through law school. I wasn't prepared for the culture shock I experienced when I went back to school. As I said first and foremost, enjoy the experience.