PDA

View Full Version : Is this animal cruelty? I say yes.

buglebe
06-05-2010, 09:19 AM
A neighbors dog had been threatening a mother's 2 children in their own back yard. The mother went to the neighbors 2 times and even called the police dept about the dog. Then the dog killed the children's dog. The mother called the police again. Two weeks later the dog was still roaming the neighborhood, no there isn't a leash law. The children couldn't play outside. The dog was aggressive toward the mother also, so she was afraid of the dog too. So the father took the dog on his way to work 20 miles from their house and dumped the dog out in a neighborhood. They didn't take it to the animal shelter because though it is advertised as a no kill shelter, they do euthanize animals. Will the dog find his way home? I think this is more cruel than taking him to a shelter where he might or might not be euthanized. Of course there would also be a chance of the original family finding their pet there. This happened in a neighborhood of an acquaintance of mine. The people were wrong to let their dog run free and were also stupid for taking a chance on being sued if the dog bit one of the children but I think it's cruel to have the dog possibly starve to death. What do yall think? What would have been a better way to handle it?

SLance68
06-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Take it to the shelter. If the animal was that threatening and had already killed another dog it shouldn't be roaming in any neighborhood.

pepperpot
06-05-2010, 09:28 AM
If the dog is chipped and found....it will be returned to the neighbor.

Dumping an aggressive dog in someone else's neighborhood (to now become their problem) is pretty lousy as well. For the dog and that neighborhood.

Not sure what the best thing to do would be. :shrug

freeby4me
06-05-2010, 10:42 AM
So the dog KILLED those kids dog, is threatening them and someones mad because dad took the dog and let him go somewhere else?

Wowsers. Around these parts, dog would find himself shot.

I'd just be glad the Dad didnt kill the dog and leave it at that. If a dog killed my dog, threatened me and my children and I couldnt even let my son outside to play we'd be having a major problem. The police would get mighty sick of me because I would be calling them every single day about a menacing dog running loose.

cabby92
06-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Dad sounds like a major scumbucket.

janelle
06-05-2010, 03:42 PM
Keep getting the authorities involved. Do you have a leash law? We do and no dog can run loose. The dog will eventually be taken away if the owners can't keep him on a leash and not running freely. Don't worry about what will happen to the dog, just let the authorities handle it. If the dog is let loose in another neighborhood it might attack another dog or a small child, I wouldn't want to have to worry about that.

jasmine
06-05-2010, 03:50 PM
would have been shot out here in the country, problem solved.

owners won't take care of him, won't do anything with the dog, even after repeatedly asked to do something, now the neighbors fear for there family, can't be out in the yard, has already killed there dog......... neighbors and authorities won't do a damn thing about it...... guess they took care of the problem since no one else would.

YankeeMary
06-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Whats cruel is the owners of this dog is allowed to breed and have children. They are complete irresponsible humans. I don't think the other dad should have taken the dog to another neighborhood where those people have no idea of the past this dog has. He should have called the police and demanded something be done. If not then a shelter (kill or no kill) would be best for the dog. He can't help it that his owners are idiots. Even at a kill shelter they would have fed him until they put him to sleep. Now he has to look for food or go hungry.

stresseater
06-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Sounds criminal to me. The dog is aggressive so dad takes it to another neighborhood to bite someone else's kids. Dad should have shot the dog if the city wouldn't help.

cpbaby
06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
My neighbors had two big guard dogs because he works nights and shes there alone. Yesterday those same dogs killed my mom's rat terrier. The neighbor CRIED because Pete was dead and then he took his own dogs out back and shot them. Thats how it should have been handled and thats how this would have been handled here.

Faithfully
06-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I think it was very wrong for the guy to just drop it off in another neighborhood. He should have taken it to a shelter. IMO I think taking a dog out back, and shooting it is crude and barbaric, wth? Though thought of that really makes me mad. At least if he took it to a shelter, it could have been humanely put down.

cpbaby
06-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I think it was very wrong for the guy to just drop it off in another neighborhood. He should have taken it to a shelter. IMO I think taking a dog out back, and shooting it is crude and barbaric, wth? Though thought of that really makes me mad. At least if he took it to a shelter, it could have been humanely put down.

Gassing a dog is more humane than shooting it once right between the eyes? I dont believe it. The one shot killed it instantly, which is much more humane than how my parents' dog died.

wubbywa
06-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Sad thing is I blame the owners more than the dog. If they dont care what it does to others then I would think they dont care to much about the dog. Some people do deserve to own a pet. Who knows what kind of dog it could have been with better owners. Yes it was wrong for the other man to take it and drop it off somwhere else. If I was it I might feel sorry for it and end up hurt because you just never know. I hate to see animals suffer because of ignorant owners.

iluvmybaby
06-06-2010, 08:40 PM
A dog that had threatened my children and been aggressive to me would have been shot

Urban Cowgirl
06-07-2010, 07:02 AM
So dump it in another neighborhood where it could hurt someone else's kids....REAL NICE!