PDA

View Full Version : going to a picnic tomorrow, need recipe ideas!

Airbuswife
05-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Hey everyone, i'm going to a picnic tomorrow at my gram's. everyone has to bring something. i'm drawing a blank, lol! anyone have a quick and easy recipe that everyone is sure to love??

TIA!!

Taterbo
05-30-2010, 03:34 PM
Zesty Potaoe Salad with Orange - Basil Dressing

Looking for a new twist on potaoe salad...This one travels well as it has NO mayo...

Salad
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (skins on)
1 green pepper, diced
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup red onion, minced
Dressing
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup Orange Juice
1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Instructions
Place potatoes in large pot, a few shakes of salt to the water, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Let the potatoes cool, then cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Combine the potatoes with the green pepper, corn, tomatoes and onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together basil, oil, Orange Juice and vinegar. Pour dressing over potato salad and gently mix together. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Enjoy.

Taterbo
05-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Quick Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad

Ingredients
2 C. uncooked shell pasta
4-5 peeled baby carrots or 1 large regular carrot, shredded
1 C. frozen peas, thawed
3/4 C. mayonnaise, more if desired but NOT miracle whip
1 1 oz. packet Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix or or brand you prefer.
1/4 C. bacon bits (I use Hormel REAL bacon bits or pieces)
1/2 tsp. onion powder
Directions
In large bowl, mix mayo, dressing mix, bacon bits, shredded carrots and onion powder. Chill this mixture while you continue making the rest of the salad. Cook pasta al dente, drain and cool. Fold in pasta carefully. Gently fold in peas last. Chill for several hours and serve chilled or at room temperature. Refresh salad if needed with a tiny bit of mayo, but it usually doesn't need it. Garnish top with more bacon bits pieces. You can never have too much bacon..This can be doubled for large gatherings...Also you can add some raw chopped onion if your family likes it.

Also you can add in some chopped up pre cook chicken or ham and make a meal out of this on a hot summer night....

Taterbo
05-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Amish Macaroni Salad

4 c. macaroni, cooked, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. vinegar
4 tbsp. butter
8 eggs
2 c. sugar
2 c. mayonnaise
2 tsp. mustard
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 onion
4 hard boiled eggs Boil water, vinegar, and butter. Add eggs and sugar; bring to a boil stirring constantly. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients; mix with rest of ingredients. Cool and serve cold.

Taterbo
05-30-2010, 03:37 PM
All else fails Deviled Eggs...............

swan0002
05-30-2010, 04:07 PM
My fruit kabobs are always a big hit.
Just take pieces of watermelon, strawberry, grapes and blueberries, alternate them on wooden kabobs. They are really good when it's hot out!

And for a really nice presentation you can turn the used watermelon upside down and insert all the skewers into the skin. Looks like a professional job and tastes wonderful too!

buglebe
05-30-2010, 08:44 PM

People always love deviled eggs.

BeanieLuvR
05-30-2010, 11:37 PM

People always love deviled eggs.

Very true! That is what I usually take and 2 trays are gone in a flash. I have my mom's and grandma's special trays made for deviled eggs so it feels like they are a part of the gathering even though they are both gone. Pasta salad is also a big hit. I buy the tri-color pasta cook it then throw in a variety of vegetables and add italian dressing to it. It is easy and tasty to make. Have fun! We are cooking out at home.

baragabrat
05-31-2010, 05:05 AM
You've probably already fixed a dish but I really like a macaroni salad with:

Macaroni, cauliflower, broccoli, onion, cucumber, green pepper and dress it with italian dressing. You could use low fat dressing but it really tastes best and dresses best with full-flavored dressing. This keep s a lot longer/better than salads made with mayo.

Have fun today!