PDA

View Full Version : cooking one day a week

buglebe
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
My husband and I are considering cooking only one day a week and then eating all week, has anyone else tried this? I have seen it in books so we are going to try it. Any suggestions?

Breezin
05-19-2010, 07:44 PM
there are times when I've done this, especially when the kids schedules are crazy -- I usually do it in the winter, in the summer it's usually so easy to just throw something on the grill to eat

-- best/easiest thing for me is to buy 2 or 3 whole oven stuffer chickens (there are 4 of us and ds is a teen that can really eat) and cook those up, slice one to eat the first night, use the carcasses and some meat to make chicken soup, and then use the other cooked chickens in casseroles, stews, potpie, salads etc -- I might make a meatloaf or something like that to break up the chicken a little too

cabby92
05-20-2010, 06:25 AM
I got in the habit of over cooking. When I make meatloaf, I make three. When I make sauce I make it by the gallon and then make and freeze chili, spaghetti sauce, stuffed pepper soup, etc. It's not one day a week but it means I always have a freezer full of food. Sometimes I have to stop cooking for a while because I get so far ahead. Saves money and time.

sunniekiss
05-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Mind you I seldom cook anymore. My ds however loves to cook. Last night he made salmon, cheesy risotto, & aruggla salad with assiago cheese, strawberries & walnuts with a balsmic vinigrette dressing.

I think I would get tired of eating the same food every day though.

dinosmom
05-20-2010, 09:36 AM
My neighbors and I all get together and do once a month cooking-usually in the winter months. Also if one of us is making a meatloaf or whatever, we will make a bunch and share.

If you are going to freeze items, invest in a GOOD food vacuum sealer and be sure to label everything and include the date too. If something has a lot of liquid we always freeze it first and then vacuum seal it after its frozen.

Urban Cowgirl
05-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Mind you I seldom cook anymore. My ds however loves to cook. Last night he made salmon, cheesy risotto, & aruggla salad with assiago cheese, strawberries & walnuts with a balsmic vinigrette dressing.

I think I would get tired of eating the same food every day though.

Wow, can we borrow your son? LOL That is awesome that he likes to cook. With my 6yo's schedule, I could use a live in chef! Some nights I am soo busy, we do take out, then I feel guilty!

buglebe
05-21-2010, 06:23 AM
We've been doing too much take out, it's expensive and not healthy and not as tasty as home cooked, that 's why we were thinking about doing some major cooking one day a week or so.

sunniekiss
05-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Wow, can we borrow your son? LOL That is awesome that he likes to cook. With my 6yo's schedule, I could use a live in chef! Some nights I am soo busy, we do take out, then I feel guilty!

**LOL** He is going to make some lucky girl a great wife one day. I am a clean & organization freak; germs have to wipe their feet before coming into my house. He is 10 times worse than I am. Last weekend he helped me clean my windows. I wiped the window sills down with Mr Clean & they were practically spotless. He went with a toothpick & old toothbrush over everything.