PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to drink expired water?

justice250
05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Is it okay to drink expired water?

baragabrat
05-12-2010, 07:37 AM
I think it would depend on the expiration date but it probably is. If you have doubts, call the company. They will put your mind at ease.

cab1277
05-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Companies generally stamp a "sell by" date on the product. This is supposed to guarantee freshness and I think it is required by the FDA. Since it's water, I suppose it would be fine. I wouldn't drink it if it was 2 years old or something like that. I don't know if it would be harmful, but it might have a stale taste to it. I agree with baragabrat though, if you really want to know, call the company. They can tell you whether it is safe to drink and what the true expiration date is, if any.

cathych
05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
How can water expire?

cab1277
05-12-2010, 09:45 AM
How can water expire?

The water itself won't. But the chemicals and/or materials used in manufacturing the plastic bottles may start to break down over time and seep into the water. I don't know how long it would take and even if those would be neccessarily harmful. That's something they could find out from the company.

Breezin
05-12-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/education/ask/index.html?quid=791

Expiration on water bottles a question of law, good taste
Water doesn't spoil, but why do some water bottles have expiration dates?
Ask your own question!

There are several reasons for an expiration date on a bottle of drinking water. Some states require that every food item has an expiration date, so even candy or nuts and other perishables may have them. The other reason is the taste. As long as a bottle of water stays unopened, it is safe to drink. The taste however can change over the course of time. The plastic of the container can make the taste go bad when it is not stored properly. Also, sunlight can deteriorate the plastic and add to the bad flavor. Many gases are able to pass through plastics, which can affect the taste of bottled water. For those reasons, always store plastic bottles in a dry dark place without the presence of household chemicals (paint thinner, gasoline and dry cleaning chemicals). It is recommended that when a bottle of water is opened, it is used within two weeks, because algae or bacteria can start to grow and will cause health risks. So bottled water doesn't spoil when unopened, but the taste can change over time and some states require an expiration date. That's why bottled water has an expiration date.

Jolie Rouge
05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks Breezin - inquiring minds want to know ... :hi5

Urban Cowgirl
05-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I have many times.....hasn't hurt me yet.

Anniston
05-14-2010, 09:39 AM
It depends on how it was stored too. I have experienced year old water that probably had not even expired, but it was kept in a warm summer garage, then froze over winter. Then in spring, it was musky tasting.