PDA

View Full Version : I'm Cheap and...

baragabrat
04-20-2010, 08:18 AM
...I try to find good deals and cheap ways of doing things. I forgot whose suggestion this was...I think I saw it on TV but anyhow...Our local Glen's Supermarket has a sale for their Spartan Brand fabric softener sheets for a box of 40/$1. I cut them in half and they work as well as the more expensive brand to handle the static cling. They don't soften but if you're looking for something to deal with all that electricity, this is a good idea. So I get 80 uses out of a 40 count box for a buck. Not bad.

(For my towels and such I'll stick with Downy to soften.)

cabby92
04-20-2010, 11:53 AM
They do more than one load, too. If they still smell they're good for another load. I'll see your 80 uses and go 160.

baragabrat
04-20-2010, 12:34 PM
Sounds good to me!!!

jasmine
04-20-2010, 05:08 PM
I use each sheet for 2 loads also, never thought of cutting them in half, that's a good ides.

Even better for me...... spring is here, and I can start to hand clothes outside on the line, last year I watched my electric bill, and it actually saved me almost 30 bucks a month, I do laundry about every day though, sometimes 2 with me and 3 kids LOL. And then for the stiffness you may not like, like in jeans etc... I just throw them in the dryer for a couple of minutes with a sheet to get it soften up a bit.

baragabrat
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I use each sheet for 2 loads also, never thought of cutting them in half, that's a good ides.

Even better for me...... spring is here, and I can start to hand clothes outside on the line, last year I watched my electric bill, and it actually saved me almost 30 bucks a month, I do laundry about every day though, sometimes 2 with me and 3 kids LOL. And then for the stiffness you may not like, like in jeans etc... I just throw them in the dryer for a couple of minutes with a sheet to get it soften up a bit.

Wow, that's awesome! What with the price of energy these days, you have to do everything you can...Good job!!

Anniston
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Great suggestion. I just bought a new box Saturday, and I am going to do that!

gravittr
05-12-2010, 04:07 PM
we dont have a dryer(broke a few months back)but yeah i use to use the sheets twice

Cotton
05-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I use dryer sheets a couple times also. I was told they build a film on your dryer filter and to make sure to take it outside once a week or so depending on use and tap it on something to help dislodge the particles. I was amazed the first time I did so on how much more stuff came out of it. Helps the dryer out also.
I use one in the car for an air freshener also!

jasmine
05-16-2010, 01:23 PM
I use dryer sheets a couple times also. I was told they build a film on your dryer filter and to make sure to take it outside once a week or so depending on use and tap it on something to help dislodge the particles. I was amazed the first time I did so on how much more stuff came out of it. Helps the dryer out also.
I use one in the car for an air freshener also!

what do you mean? I clean out my dryer filter every time I dry, just scoop out all the lint.

Cotton
05-16-2010, 08:24 PM
I clean mine also every time. The use your fingers to gather the lint from it. But you need to take it outside once or twice a week and tap it on the porch railing. You will be amazed at how much stuff flies out of it that you did not realize was stuck in it!
I was told the use of dryer sheets build up kind of like an oil based build up on the lint screens. I was told also not to use liquid or dryer sheets with your towels as it builds up on them and does not allow them to dry you as well. And I believe that as my sister uses liquid fabric softeners and her towels do not dry you off. Kind of compare it to using wax on your car and the water beads up on it.

sunflowers
05-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I can't use fabric sheets in my dryer..I have the new front load dryer, and it voids the warranty if you use them...so I use liquid in the wash...

3lilpigs
05-21-2010, 02:03 PM
I can't use fabric sheets in my dryer..I have the new front load dryer, and it voids the warranty if you use them...so I use liquid in the wash...

Aren't all dryers.....front load dryers??:confused:

sunflowers
05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Aren't all dryers.....front load dryers??:confused:

didnt you see the word"new" kind...lol
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/wklsunflower/036725569041lg.jpg

lucimPI
05-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Another way of saving is if any of you use SOS pads to shine up your pots and pans, well I cut mine in half, sharpens my scissors and since they rust pretty fast, since I am only using a half I am saving that way.

magickay
05-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I use SOS pads too, and will either cut them in half or in quarters. I hated to see them rust away -- would rather wear them out. Sometimes I pull them apart a little when they get compacted. I think it helps them dry out faster, and I can use them a little longer, too.

PrincessArky
07-05-2010, 05:52 AM
didnt you see the word"new" kind...lol
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/wklsunflower/036725569041lg.jpg

oh now that is nice :)

justme23
07-16-2010, 03:09 AM
I am obviously not very frugal. I just pull out a small handful and always throw them out after one use. I also buy the downy cause it's all my husband likes, so I can't even go cheap on the brand. I obviously suck.

I actually posted cause you should be washing your lint screen atleast once a week w/ mild soapy water to get rid of the build up.

baragabrat
07-22-2010, 05:31 AM
I use SOS pads too, and will either cut them in half or in quarters. I hated to see them rust away -- would rather wear them out. Sometimes I pull them apart a little when they get compacted. I think it helps them dry out faster, and I can use them a little longer, too.

Just picked up some SOS yesterday and tried cutting in quarters...too small. But next time I will cut them in half and that should be perfect! Thanks for the tip!

Cotton
08-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Must be something to the dryer sheet residue blocking up the lint catching screen then?! All I know is I take mine outside twice a week now after cleaning it off and tap it fairly soundly on the porch railing and so much more stuff comes flying off from it that I was not able to see. And my dryer dries better now.

RCM1210
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
I use a full size dryer sheet every time but no more, however, I continue to reuse the dryer sheets (along with a new one) until they end up in a little ball. I don't think that hurts anything..

I use new dryer sheets in storage boxes (mty or ld), luggage, the crawl space of my home, anywhere to keep insects away. Not sure if it helps with rodents or reptiles, but they may.

DreamWarrior
01-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Another way of saving is if any of you use SOS pads to shine up your pots and pans, well I cut mine in half, sharpens my scissors and since they rust pretty fast, since I am only using a half I am saving that way.

Putting them in the freezer after each use helps cut down on the rusting... just put them in a small plastic bowl or cup in the door and there ya go...

MsLynn
01-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I make my own dryer sheets... i can make almost a gallon of softener for like 3 bucks and using to to make dryer sheets instead of the washer... it lasts FOREVER... AND I MEAN FOREVER, lmao..... and i use flannel pieces i cut from a sheet to fit the tub i keep them in, and just rewash them and put them back in the bowl. lol

pepperpot
01-25-2011, 04:36 PM
I've heard of making "febreeze" like spray from softener, but how do you make softener? (gallon)

MsLynn
01-25-2011, 04:46 PM
i make my own laundry detergent to, but i think there are several receipes listed for that already

FABRIC SOFTENER

Fabric Softener

* 6 cups water
* 3 cups white vinegar
* 2 cups hair conditioner. i just use the full bottle... it's a little more than it asks for but i use it anway, lol so i'm trying to get lil bits out of bottles later

Note: you can also just add vinegar to your wash for a plainer fabric softener.

In washer : used 1/4 cup of it...or 1/3 c. If you have hard water use 1/3c.
In dryer sheets : Cut dryer sheets in thirds or halves, use one strip per dryer load.
Mix equal parts hair conditioner and water and store in spray bottle. Mist a washcloth or sponge and toss in dryer with wet load.
Or you can
4 TBS liquid softener
10 TBS water

Cut fabric sheets from old flannel pajamas or leftover flannel fabric from sewing and cut into 3″ x 5″ strips (approximately).
Stack flannel strips in a cleaned margarine tub (large size) or plastic container (cleaned baby wipes container works well too). Mix the liquid softener and water together, then pour evenly over top of stacked flannel strips.
Seal container and shake well.

You can use several dozen strips with this mixture. Leave sealed for 2 or 3 days, then use one flannel strip per load–squeeze out excess if necessary (it should be just damp). Keep container sealed at all times. Wash strips after use, then use again to make another batch when needed.

ThriftIndy
01-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Great tip! I always try to reuse things over to save money. I reuse the same sandwich baggies for my lunch if I am going to just take the same thing the next day. I just use the same baggie for the sandwich, same baggie for my chips or pretzels and so on. Being thrifty is the way to be, especially in this economy!

ttistin
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Instead of fabric softener for towels use a cup of white vinegar, once dry you do not smell vinegar at all. Leaves them soft and keeps them drying you like new.

baragabrat
03-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Putting them in the freezer after each use helps cut down on the rusting... just put them in a small plastic bowl or cup in the door and there ya go...

I tried this tip this past week and darned if it didn't work! Thanks for a great tip!

ssangnomno
06-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Make your own dryer sheets. The key is to use an acid, so another idea floating around the internet is to saturate a small rag with 1 teaspoon of a natural hair conditioner, and put that into the dryer as a homemade dryer sheet. (Hair conditioners are designed to return the hair and scalp to an acidic pH.)

For softness, add vinegar to the wash. Many successfully substitute vinegar for fabric softeners. Just add cup of white distilled vinegar to the rinse water of the laundry cycle. The actual scouring of the fabric in the washing machine also softens the fabric, and the dryer fluffs the fabric even more, making fabric softeners unnecessary.

whatever
09-21-2011, 07:48 AM
Just picked up some SOS yesterday and tried cutting in quarters...too small. But next time I will cut them in half and that should be perfect! Thanks for the tip!

this helps sharpen your scissors at the same time!! :)
I didn't know that using dryer sheets is taboo for the new front load. Guess I better read my warranty info! Well my will be out in about a month anyway. What about the bounce bar? I bought one of those on clearance a while back just never got around to putting it in yet. I hang my clothes out april thru november (weather permitting) and hang them on a clothes hanger in the house in the winter with the exception of towels and socks. So I don't use my dryer much anyway.

Cotton
11-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I take my dryer filter out every time I use it and tap it on the porch railing. Very amazing what all flies out of it even though it "looks" clean. I don't use dryer sheets for my towels it does build up a layer on them and they do not dry so well! I also just go half a drying cycle on my clothers. Jeans and heavy stuff I start at the highest setting and take them out mid way and let them air dry the rest! Clothers like blouses I start at mid way and let them go thru the cooling cycle so I do not have to iron them. Works great! Two loads for the price of one!

VenuStar
12-11-2011, 05:09 PM
this helps sharpen your scissors at the same time!! :)
I didn't know that using dryer sheets is taboo for the new front load. Guess I better read my warranty info! Well my will be out in about a month anyway. What about the bounce bar? I bought one of those on clearance a while back just never got around to putting it in yet. I hang my clothes out april thru november (weather permitting) and hang them on a clothes hanger in the house in the winter with the exception of towels and socks. So I don't use my dryer much anyway.

I love the Bounce bar and have the new front load dryer but know nothing about the warranty.

SLance68
12-12-2011, 08:15 AM
I don't use dryer sheets they are a waste of money from what I can tell. I use fabric softener in my washer though. As for banging the filter on a porch - I tap mine on the front of the dryer to knock the small stuff out. If you really want to make your drier work better disconnect and clean out the exhaust line that will help 1000%.

Cotton
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Yes I clean out my exhaust hose from the dryer also. Looking for my missing socks! LOL
And since others were talking of SOS pads. I buy the Dollar General Store brand ones and they seem to work just as well. I live in the country. So after I get my use from them I let them dry and stuff them around the pipes. I live in a double wide. Mice do not like chewing them to get inside. Works wonders!