PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

buglebe
04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
What is everyone reading? I have just read The Help about maids during the early 60s in Jackson, Mississippi. I enjoyed it , but it wasn't a happy book though, it was sad.

I am now starting The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner. It is hard to get into. I hope it gets better or I won't finish reading it. Always before if I started a book, I would finish it because I would think it was going to get better. This book has been on the best seller list. At age 65, I won't waste my time reading something I don't enjoy.

I remember we have had this thread before but time has passed and other books are on the best seller list now.

I am interested in what books you are reading. Any recommendations? Thanks.

ilovecats
04-18-2010, 09:14 PM
What is everyone reading? I have just read The Help about maids during the early 60s in Jackson, Mississippi. I enjoyed it , but it wasn't a happy book though, it was sad.

I am now starting The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner. It is hard to get into. I hope it gets better or I won't finish reading it. Always before if I started a book, I would finish it because I would think it was going to get better. This book has been on the best seller list. At age 65, I won't waste my time reading something I don't enjoy.
I think once it even crosses your mind that the book doesn't do anything for you,you should just stop.If you can't get into it,why bother?
I remember we have had this thread before but time has passed and other books are on the best seller list now.

I am interested in what books you are reading. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I just finished "My sweet Audrina"by VC Andrews,it was pretty good.
I am halfway through "the happiness project"not sure if I like it yet,I am thinking she is a little too yuppie to have anything in common with my life.
The Geography of Bliss by Eric WeinerSounds similar to what I am reading.

justme23
04-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I am reading a book called Sushi for Beginners. It's a chick lit book. Just something I got for a buck cause I knew it would be an easy read. I'll have to go back and look at what I have read recently and post 'em later.

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet -- That's the last book I read. I read it because it was on the news being disputed by parents whose kids were being assigned it. I couldn't really believe parents being upset that their kids were being asked to read... I read it and it was very good and I wouldn't have any problems w/ my Junior of Senior being asked to read it... if I had one.

MizzouLady
04-19-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm reading "Going Rougue" by Sara Palin. So far, it's pretty good.

pennywise
04-19-2010, 05:03 AM
I am reading HORNS by Joe Hill (Stephen Kings son) It's a really good book so far!

baragabrat
04-19-2010, 05:50 AM
I have recently discovered Rachel Hauck and have been reading ALL her books...nearly done. Every time I find an author that really interests me, I go to my library and check out all that they have and then ask them to find what they don't have. I've had books from libraries all over the state. They send the books to my library and I pick them up. It's called MelCat. It's great and I don't miss out on most books that I'm interested in.

But, I am waiting for the next James Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman and Stuart Woods' books. Two of the three are very prolific but be that as it may,not nearly enough for me!!!

baragabrat
04-19-2010, 05:52 AM
I am reading HORNS by Joe Hill (Stephen Kings son) It's a really good book so far!

How cool I didn't know Stephen King also had a child who writes. Jonathan Kellerman's whole family writes; wife Faye Kellerman, kids Jesse Kellerman & Aliza Kellerman but I'll just stick to Jonathan. I've checked out the others' books and don't care for them at all! What a snoozefest!

sunniekiss
04-19-2010, 07:43 AM
I wish I had the time to read. It's a good day if I get to read the newspaper & a couple of messages on here.
No word of lie here, but I have over a year's worth of magazines still in their plastic sleeves.

baragabrat
04-19-2010, 08:10 AM
I wish I had the time to read. It's a good day if I get to read the newspaper & a couple of messages on here.
No word of lie here, but I have over a year's worth of magazines still in their plastic sleeves.

Do you think you'll (or someone else in your household) ever read those mags? If not, I'll bet your local hospital would love to have them! I have several magazine subscriptions (most free) and when we're done, that's what I do with them. Folks walk out of the hospital with them and so they have to keep being replenished. Anyhow, just an idea.

Kelsey1224
04-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Read "The Help" a few months ago. Absolutely loved it. While it was a sad book, I found it incredibly enpowering.

Finished "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End" (the sequel) just a few months ago as well. Great books...both of them.

I am currently reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. (Gotta love my Kindle because this is a huge book...bigger than the last Harry Potter.)

Very interesting premise. Check it out!

newwiccan
04-19-2010, 10:49 AM
I just finished Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. I started Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah but I can't get into it. I think I'm going to put it away and come back to it after I read The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.

teenap
04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
I just finished Under the Dome, and yes that is one heavy book! over a thousand pages

stresseater
04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
I am reading city of glass, the third book in the mortal instrument series.

Jolie Rouge
04-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett

justme23
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Read "The Help" a few months ago. Absolutely loved it. While it was a sad book, I found it incredibly enpowering.

Finished "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End" (the sequel) just a few months ago as well. Great books...both of them.

I am currently reading "Under the Dome" by Stephen King. (Gotta love my Kindle because this is a huge book...bigger than the last Harry Potter.)

Very interesting premise. Check it out!

Kelsey... I did not realize there was a sequel so I went to look it up. They are making Pillars into an 8 hour movie miniseries. Oh, I hope they do it justice and I am really excited... now I have to go and buy the sequel!!!

Screening schedules and broadcast partners

* United States: Starz Entertainment has acquired the US television rights. Starz will air the series in July, kicking off with a two-hour premiere on 23 July, followed by six one-hour episodes screened weekly (this is a provisional screening date, and viewers should check broadcast schedules). The cover of the tie-in paperback edition is pictured.

http://www.ken-follett.com/news/index.html

It looks like they are going to film the sequel too!

ntgsmommy
04-19-2010, 02:02 PM
The King James Bible---Just finished Genesis, and heading into Exodus...(starting all over again! :-) )

freebielover
04-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Reading the Mists of Avalon for the 100th time

Jolie Rouge
04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I loved "Mists of Avalon" ...

NasCat
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Deception by Jonathan Kellerman

baragabrat
04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I just finished Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. I started Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah but I can't get into it. I think I'm going to put it away and come back to it after I read The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.

I just discovered Nicholas sparks last winter and have read everything he's written.....even the non-fiction "Three Weeks With My Brother." I don't care for non-fiction at all but I really really liked that book! If you are a Sparks fan, you will enjoy The Lucky One! I know I did.

Kelsey1224
04-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Kelsey... I did not realize there was a sequel so I went to look it up. They are making Pillars into an 8 hour movie miniseries. Oh, I hope they do it justice and I am really excited... now I have to go and buy the sequel!!!

http://www.ken-follett.com/news/index.html

It looks like they are going to film the sequel too!

Yep...the sequel takes place about 100 - 150 years later.

I am excited about the miniseries as well. Follett has said that he has received numerous offers to do a miniseries of Pillars, but that he knew that a 2-hour movie would never do it justice. So, when he was finally approached to do it as a miniseries, he finally agreed.

Kelsey1224
04-20-2010, 08:17 AM
I just finished Under the Dome, and yes that is one heavy book! over a thousand pages

That's why I am glad to have my Kindle...LOL!

baragabrat
04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
The last long book I read of Stephen King's was The Stand and I just cannot read those long ones anymore. So I stick to medium sized books. I love the way James Patterson writes, with very short chapters. I get through those really quick but they are always so good, I want more!!

newwiccan
04-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I just discovered Nicholas sparks last winter and have read everything he's written.....even the non-fiction "Three Weeks With My Brother." I don't care for non-fiction at all but I really really liked that book! If you are a Sparks fan, you will enjoy The Lucky One! I know I did.

My book club read Dear John and The Last Song and I loved them. I ordered The Choice yeterday from Paperbackswap.com and can't wait for it to get here.