PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Skype?

OmaLisa
03-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I want to find a way to talk to my granddaughter when I move to Denver. Does anyone use Skype or know anything about it? Is it just something you download to your computer? Do you need anything extra? Is there a charge?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

NasCat
03-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I use it all the time to talk to my friend in England. It's a downloadable chat program, and you can do "talking chat" for free, computer to computer, and for a nominal fee, you can make calls to an actual phone. I do all of the above...the calls are like 2 cents a minute, maybe, I mean seriously cheap.

OmaLisa
03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I use it all the time to talk to my friend in England. It's a downloadable chat program, and you can do "talking chat" for free, computer to computer, and for a nominal fee, you can make calls to an actual phone. I do all of the above...the calls are like 2 cents a minute, maybe, I mean seriously cheap.

Have you tried the video calls? That's what I would like to do. That way we could see each other when we are talking.

hotwheelstx
03-26-2010, 10:59 PM
We have Skype. Use it weekly for my cousin that lives in Thailand. It truly saves you tons of money and is really easy to use.

$25.00 payments seem to last around 6 months or more to use.

It's a better alternative than calling overseas and getting a bill for over $500.00 like we did when my mother crossed over. We didn't have Skype then......I was all to happy to sign up after that....even if it's for that one phone call that you will never make again. It's really worth it.

BTW-We use computer to computer and the phone service. Easy set up, can pay online....never a problem with them in almost 4 years.

justme23
03-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Video calls are also free. The only time you should ever have to pay a fee is if you are calling something other than a computer. I love skype.

As for calling over seas. We use vonage and you can call almost the entire world for free now. There are still some places that aren't free but we don't have a reason to call those places. We pay less than 30 dollars a month but just like skype, it does require an internet connection.

Don't forget you'll need a good set of headphones with a mic on it. They run around 30 bucks for the cheapest. Easy set up.

NasCat
03-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Have you tried the video calls? That's what I would like to do. That way we could see each other when we are talking.

Yep, we do it all the time, and love it!

xsweetestx
03-27-2010, 04:50 AM
I use it and love it,,