PDA

View Full Version : problem with facebook

katzenberg
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
on our local news they said if you are on twitter or face book they might charge your home owner insurance 10% more because robbers can look you up and get yourinfo including where you live.this is the 2 time i have heard this.so it worries me .

whatever
02-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't see how they are going to know where your home is? I mean unless you are listing your address on your page? Plus I can't see how its legal for Ins. to even be able to bill for you belonging to a website?
I means its no different than me having a CC.Thats at risk of being stolen etc. every time I used it to. lol

ahippiechic
02-22-2010, 07:00 PM
You don't have to share your personal info but if you do you go into your privacy setting and have it so only certain people can see it.

Breezin
02-22-2010, 07:07 PM
http://www2.counton2.com/cbd/news/local/article/could_facebook_and_twitter_use_raise_you_insurance _costs/114456/

Could Facebook and Twitter use raise your insurance costs?

Could what you post on Facebook and Twitter raise your insurance premiums or get your insurance claims denied? Experts on an insurance comparison website, confused.com, say that could be right around the corner.

They think insurance companies could start searching your social media accounts, looking at what you post and your pictures.

Some fear that harmless activities could result in higher premiums. Posting pictures of a new extreme sport hobby could cost you. The same for tweeting about the dangerous traffic near your kid’s school while dropping them off. As your risk grows, so does your premium.

Claims are no different. Experts say investigators can use your posts to show negligence and have claims denied.

ahippiechic
02-22-2010, 07:58 PM
They could search mine but they wouldn't be able to find my addy.

baragabrat
02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
When in doubt, call your insurance agent and see what he/she has to say.

katzenberg
02-22-2010, 08:44 PM
i am not goingto take a chance i tsso much about th increse in insurance but some one may hacking my account its not worth it to me.

Airbuswife
02-22-2010, 08:57 PM
i believe sooo many people divulge WAY too much info on facebook and myspace. some people are addicted to posting every move they make. so if you say, " i'm at walmart and looking for something" then EVERYONE knows you are NOT home!! BAM!! perfect time for "someone" you either know or one of your "friends" knows to go to your house and ransack, steal, or break something. thats why i keep my profile private and i'm also "REAL" friends with my friends on fb.

ahippiechic
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I post where I'm at, usually someone is home anyway. But if they can't access my addy then it doesn't do them do them any good to know I'm not home.

Airbuswife
02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I post where I'm at, usually someone is home anyway. But if they can't access my addy then it doesn't do them do them any good to know I'm not home.

EXACTLY!! there are so many people that DONT keep their profile private! either they dont know how or just dont want to.

ahippiechic
02-22-2010, 09:31 PM
EXACTLY!! there are so many people that DONT keep their profile private! either they dont know how or just dont want to.

I have gamer friends from all over the world; I don't know these people. They can'y see my info. Only close family & friends can see it. And it might not even be accurate anyway. Just in case I get hacked. :D

justme23
02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
This is just another reason why I hate these sites. I do have a myspace and a facebook but both are set so only friends can see it and my friends are pretty limited to family. And even then, it's probably been six months since I even posted on one of them... they just aren't all that fun for me... I'd rather be playing Guild Wars!

baragabrat
02-23-2010, 06:01 AM
I am extremely private on Facebook. I even hate that my full name is used. If you want to email me then you will already have my email address because you are someone I know and trust. If you want to come visit, you already have my home address because you're someone I know and trust. I check frequently to make sure that whatever changes haven't changed my privacy settings. And I only have a handful of friends anyhow.

I have an account mainly to see any pics my daughter-in-law might post because neither she nor my son are good about sharing pics of my 10 month old granddaughter. Seems to me, when your kids are little you want everyone to know/see what your kid can do, say, etc. At least that was how I was. Anyhow, that a whole 'nother can of worms.

pepperpot
02-23-2010, 06:37 AM
i believe sooo many people divulge WAY too much info on facebook and myspace. some people are addicted to posting every move they make. so if you say, " i'm at walmart and looking for something" then EVERYONE knows you are NOT home!! BAM!! perfect time for "someone" you either know or one of your "friends" knows to go to your house and ransack, steal, or break something. thats why i keep my profile private and i'm also "REAL" friends with my friends on fb.

:agree
Not only there but also on the local freecycle site as well. Many members have given their addy for previous pick ups and then they'll post something like, "item needs to be picked up before I go on vacation Tuesday" or "I don't get home until 6pm"......people don't think.....

baragabrat
02-23-2010, 12:06 PM
:agree
Not only there but also on the local freecycle site as well. Many members have given their addy for previous pick ups and then they'll post something like, "item needs to be picked up before I go on vacation Tuesday" or "I don't get home until 6pm"......people don't think.....

Sounds like an advertisement to local thieves to come rob them. No, they don't think.