PDA

View Full Version : Just saw a person get hit by a car

sunniekiss
02-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Not really sure what really happened either. This neighborhood where I work is crazy to begin with but I looked up and saw this lady go down in the middle of the road & there was a black SUV right next to her.
I am not sure whether she slipped on the ice or if she tried to cross in front of the SUV. I am inside the building & I could hear the woman screaming & there were people coming out to check but not one person called 911. There had to be at least 10 people standing around.
When I called 911 I just explained that I was not sure what happened but there is a person screaming in pain lying on the ground in the middle of the intersection. After explaining that I can not say 100% what exactly happened, who hit who first, 911 said that they dispacthed an ambulance however I first had to talk to the local ambulance! The ambulance was here in less than 5 minutes & took her.
May I add that so many people who came from big cities do not bother to look both ways before crossing a street.

freeby4me
02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Thats crazy. I cant imagine laying there in pain with people staring at me and not one of them helping. Im glad you called the ambulance for her.

ilikefree
02-12-2010, 04:28 PM
That's crazy! I'm from a town of about 2500 people, give or take, so we don't have much traffic here, butg I went Christmas shopping with my sister in Toledo and we saw this lady, crossing against the light and literally hundreds of cars zooming by her--twice! I was so scared for her, but at the same time calling her nuts (to myself and my sister, of course). Her destination? The Wendy's across the street!!

whatever
02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Okay I will probably get flamed. But does it really matter who hit who? DId the suv stop and see if she was okay? And the fact that no one was helping her? I'm sorry but we are givng so much compassion to other countries in time of need and yet at times like this where is the compasion for each other?

Anniston
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Gosh, that is crazy. Glad you made the call.

In about 1996 or 1997, I was in downtown Atlanta, leaving the clubs with a friend, as I was there for a visit. We saw a guy get hit. Like literally saw the hit. My friend had a cell in her car and ran to call. It was the most surreal thing.

baragabrat
02-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Not really sure what really happened either. This neighborhood where I work is crazy to begin with but I looked up and saw this lady go down in the middle of the road & there was a black SUV right next to her.
I am not sure whether she slipped on the ice or if she tried to cross in front of the SUV. I am inside the building & I could hear the woman screaming & there were people coming out to check but not one person called 911. There had to be at least 10 people standing around.
When I called 911 I just explained that I was not sure what happened but there is a person screaming in pain lying on the ground in the middle of the intersection. After explaining that I can not say 100% what exactly happened, who hit who first, 911 said that they dispacthed an ambulance however I first had to talk to the local ambulance! The ambulance was here in less than 5 minutes & took her.
May I add that so many people who came from big cities do not bother to look both ways before crossing a street.

I live in a small resort town and one of my biggest pet peeves is people crossing in front of vehicles....without looking. They don't look to see if a car is coming. They just figure, "I have right of way," and they just go. They do have right of way but the driver may be on the phone or somehow distracted and run their butts down. Not that this is what happened in this situation.

Good job, being on the ball and calling 911!

msginna
02-12-2010, 10:38 PM
When I was in San Diego I was on my way to the commisary (was almost there) and going the speed limit mind you and out of NOWHERE this man jumped out into the road and I hit him. The windshield broke and I went into shock I think. I was taken to the hospital along with him ( I was way pregnant). The police did there investigation and found that I was not speeding and he was j walking (didn't cross at the crosswalk). I was told I could go after HIM for the damages. It was my moms car and she did NOT want to do that to the "poor man" and I agreed. I remember crying so hard and uncontrolably (sp?) this lady comforting me as other people were tending to him. This area had heavy traffic and I guess I was the one to which he bolted in front of. To this day I believe that he jumped out in front of my car.

ealyin123
02-13-2010, 06:42 AM
That was a sad story.

sunniekiss
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
It's not who hit who first kind of thing; I really didn't see it I just saw the results. The SUV did stop, that is what caught my attention. A stopped car at the intersection usually means an accident.

Where I work it is a REALLY bad intersection to begin with. Then you need to factor that there is a taxi company with drivers from a "bigger" city that do not always follow the rules of the road oh sort of like blowing through the stop sign & making a U turn if I guess a call comes in.

Then on the ajecent corner is a senior citizen high rise apartment complex & many, many of those residents just motorized wheelchairs to get around. Trust me I have saw enough near-miss taxi vs wheelchair to last a lifetime.

Add on to the fact that many people who live in that area have relocated from larger cities & don't stop and look both ways before crossing so I hear ALOT of screamin breaks.

I have tried on sebveral occasions to contact the city to inquire about having this a 4 way stop intersection & was told to do this will cost $$$ which the city does not have.

hotwheelstx
02-13-2010, 04:20 PM
I can tell you from personal experience that people either don't look for pedestrians or cars going either way. In Feb. 99 I was waiting at a bus stop to go to work one morning. I had to cross the street to catch another bus. I had the walk sign to proceed. I looked both ways and an 18 wheeler came speeding down the street. Hit me from the side (wheelchair and all) and sent me flying about 15ft. Several drivers saw what happened and NO ONE BOTHERED TO CALL 911 NOT EVEN THE PERSON THAT HIT ME. If it weren't for the little store that I frequented daily I'm sure I would of been left on the street for awhile.

Yes, the driver was prosecuted and I filed suit against him and his co. Come to find out during trial 6 months before he hit me he hit another woman at a bus stop and killed her.

To this day I still keep in contact w/the woman from the store that literally saved my life. If it hadn't of been for her and her reacting quickly I'm sure I wouldn't be here today.

People don't look when crossing streets and drivers (some) don't watch out for pedestrians.

I still see the man that hit me every once in awhile when I go into Houston. He just stares at me in my car. NO REMORSE, NO I'M SORRY.

mabby89
02-14-2010, 02:51 PM
It was the most surreal thing.

I saw a kid get ran over when I was about 13 or so. Like you said it was the most surreal thing ever.

sunniekiss
02-14-2010, 03:05 PM
I am so sorry for you Hotwheels. There wasn't anything in the newspaper or on TV so I am thinking this lady fell on the ice.
There is at least 1 accident an month at this intersection. Now with the huge snowbanks there are bound to be more.

People just drive too darn fast IMHO & too many people are distracted by talking on their cell phones which is against the law here.

Please understand my next statement here because the last thing I am is racist. There is a certain group that has moved from larger cities to this small community and some, not all, seem to have very little reguard for traffic laws. They roll through stop signs, red lights don't mean stop, and U-Turns are common. from my desk i get a view of the intersection & watch people just keep walking across the street. I don;t know about y'all but I was taught as a child to stop & look both ways before crossing a street & not to cross in the middle of a block.

I fear that one day soon there is goibg to be a death on that intersection.

DezaRay24
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
wow sunniekiss that isn't a site anyone would want to see. I'm sorry you had to go through that. At work one morning I literally watch this older woman die right on the floor in front of me while I was on the phone with 911 and security was trying to give her CPR. I will NEVER forget that day it is stuck in my head forever. Even know I didn't personally know the lady it was gut wrenching to watch. I'm glad her family and people that personally did know her didn't have to witness it. And they can just remember her in her glory.

buglebe
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
A woman stepped in front of my brother's car, years ago. She was trying to get herself killed. He was just a kid, about 17 and was downtown, a very small town, just a few blocks long. He stopped so fast she only got knocked down but not hurt. They asked my brother if he wanted to press charges. He didn't. I was such a child then I don't remember all the details. People can do crazy things , not considering what they are doing to the other person. If he had hit and killed her, he would have had that to live with his whole life.

hotwheelstx
02-16-2010, 01:45 AM
I am so sorry for you Hotwheels. There wasn't anything in the newspaper or on TV so I am thinking this lady fell on the ice.
There is at least 1 accident an month at this intersection. Now with the huge snowbanks there are bound to be more.

People just drive too darn fast IMHO & too many people are distracted by talking on their cell phones which is against the law here.

Please understand my next statement here because the last thing I am is racist. There is a certain group that has moved from larger cities to this small community and some, not all, seem to have very little reguard for traffic laws. They roll through stop signs, red lights don't mean stop, and U-Turns are common. from my desk i get a view of the intersection & watch people just keep walking across the street. I don;t know about y'all but I was taught as a child to stop & look both ways before crossing a street & not to cross in the middle of a block.

I fear that one day soon there is goibg to be a death on that intersection.

Thank you. I clearly understand what you're saying. I've lived in Houston almost my entire life. When I was growing up our neighborhood was VERY rural. You learned to look both ways before crossing any street. Today it looks like downtown Houston (mom's neighborhood). I'm hesitant sometimes to go down my mother's street on the sidewalk. People who have been living there as long as my mother did will barrel thru the neighborhood and main street. Their excuse there's no kids living in the neighborhood anymore. There's an elementary, jr. high, high school w/in 5 blocks of my mother's street. There has to be children going to the schools or they wouldn't be open.

I still think of grandchildren, people who have moved and are starting families, apt. complexes they've built in the last few years all around my mother's subdivision.

It's just sad that people don't pay more attention than they do.

BTW-Today is the 11th anniversary of the day that Steve V. hit and almost killed me. It's also Fat Tuesday.........it also was Fat Tuesday in 99 when the accident happened.

sunniekiss
02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
BTW-Today is the 11th anniversary of the day that Steve V. hit and almost killed me. It's also Fat Tuesday.........it also was Fat Tuesday in 99 when the accident happened.

That is a day you will never forget. I hope Steve V. was punished to the fullest extent of the law & has to live with the guilt for the rest of his life.

Isn't it amazing that people are so ravenous to get that last drink in before LENT. Do they actually think drinking to excess the day before LENt is going to bring them any closer to GOD???

hotwheelstx
02-19-2010, 10:30 AM
That is a day you will never forget. I hope Steve V. was punished to the fullest extent of the law & has to live with the guilt for the rest of his life.

Isn't it amazing that people are so ravenous to get that last drink in before LENT. Do they actually think drinking to excess the day before LENt is going to bring them any closer to GOD???

All I could really do to Steve V. was file against his company (since he was at work at the time of the incident). I'm not sure he'll remember the date for the rest of his life but I do every year.

I think some people do think that when it comes down to it they'll be forgiven for anything and everything....NO MATTER WHAT. I've forgiven him in my own way.....but I'll never forget how that day changed the entire course of the rest of my life. I know Steve doesn't think about that. All the money isn't/wasn't worth what I went thru or am going thru now. Steve will never know. A simple "I'm sorry" would of helped a lot 11 years ago. I'll never hear it from his mouth....I heard it from attorneys for the trucking company.

Just yesterday while out I saw 4 18 wheeler truck drivers driving while talking on their phones. I moved as far away as possible in traffic. There are just some that have no idea what can really happen. Not only while they're talking on the phone, but in a hurry to get somewhere. As I say to "speeders" wherever you're trying to go will still be there if you're late or not. I don't talk, text while driving. If it "needs" to be done I have Aggie do it while we're in the car (passenger side). That one split second can change your entire life.....It did mine.