PDA

View Full Version : Med Question.. Strep and Pink Eye..

saundra
02-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Hi.. Over a week ago my 8 year old autistic son was diagnosed with strep, and placed on amoxicillian. Last Saturday, I called my dr.'s office and said that Jacob was still very stuffy and irritable and if I can bring him in to have him re-checked, as I felt the antibiotic was not working. He had been on the antibiotic just about 7 days. The receptionist said she would talk to the doctor and call back. She calls back and says that the dr. said to finish off the antibiotic and if he is not better to come in. So.. We finish off the antibiotic yesterday. I get a call from Jacob's school yesterday, saying he napped for 2 hours in the nurses office and woke up with pink eye. UGG.. I could not get a doctors appointment yesterday as they were booked, so we are going today at 1:30.. Now my question is could this been avoided if they just saw Jacob when I called, and re-checked him for strep, and if he did still have strep administer something stronger. Also does strep and pink eye normally run hand in hand. Right now he is so stuffy and under the weather.

Off topic.. Jacob only has 5 kids in his class and 3 out of the 5 kids have gotten strep so far.. Wonder if any or how many will now get pink eye...

krisharry
02-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Don't know bec. I am not a dr. But, I have never had myself or my kids to have both at the same time. It will probably be a different antibiotic for the pinkeye than the strep though. Hope he feels better.

Eyore
02-04-2010, 07:51 AM
Not sure, my granddaughter had pink eye this past winter. I took her to the doctor and they asked if she had been sick with a cold. I said no, well 2 days later she had a cold. They gave her eye drops that had to be used every 4 hours except when sleeping. I think we had to use it for a week.

jasmine
02-04-2010, 08:26 AM
poor thing, he was prob. napping because his body is so wore out, hope he rests up and get better quickly!

saundra
02-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Thanks for you well wishes for Jacob. I am curious what we find out at the dr.'s. Hopefully they will give him something to help him feel better. I feel bad all he is doing is sniffling today.

cathych
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
you need antibiodic eye drops for pink eye.

Vee030473
02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
The three most common types of conjunctivitis are: viral, allergic, and bacterial. Each requires different treatments. With the exception of the allergic type, conjunctivitis is typically contagious.

Viral conjunctivitis ( usually with colds,upper respiratory,sore throats but not with strep. )

· Watery discharge

· Irritation

· Red eye

· Infection usually begins with one eye, but may spread easily to the other eye .
No antibiotics needed. Cold compresses
Allergic conjunctivitis

· Usually affects both eyes

· Itching

· Tearing

· Swollen eyelids

No antibiotics needed. Cold compresses
Bacterial conjunctivitis

· Stringy discharge that may cause the lids to stick together, especially after sleeping

· Swelling of the conjunctiva

· Redness

· Tearing

· Irritation and/or a gritty feeling

· Usually affects only one eye, but may spread easily to the other eye

Antibiotics needed.

saundra
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi.. Just had a chance to get on.. My little guy has been playing computer since he has gotten home. The doctor said that Jacob continues to have strep, and now he has a pink eye. Which she said are both probably bacterial.. But he also has a viral cold (he did not have a lot cold symptoms last week, just off a bubble and a rash) . Probably because his immune system is so down. Needless to say he is a mess. They placed him a Azithromycin for 5 days. They said that normally they would prescribe a med. for the pink eye also, but because they feel that Jacob would have difficult time with it, that the Azithromycin should take care of it all. Only side effect of this antibiotic is may cause diarrhea. Now I need to disinfect everything and I was told that he would be very contagious for the next 24-48 hours, and to keep everyone away. Hopefully he will start to feel better soon. Thanks for all your help.. Sandy

cathych
02-04-2010, 02:51 PM
ethromycin causes terrible stomach upset. Sorry you are going to have to deal with that, esp. in a young kid.

iluvmybaby
02-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Poor little dude, I hope that he gets to feeling better soon!

jasmine
02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
well, atleast he doesn't have to do the eye drops, that makes it a bit easier.

BeanieLuvR
02-05-2010, 06:32 AM
I hope he is feeling better soon. :hug

buglebe
02-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Some antibiotics , including that one, cause all the stuff that can go with diahrea including stomach cramps, nausea and just feeling bad in general. All of us are different and react differently to antibiotics so he may be fine but again he may be sick from the antibiotic as well as all the other problems. Pink eye can be painful but usually heals pretty quickly with drops. He didn't give you any drops?