PDA

View Full Version : Television repair person?

Anniston
01-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know if there are television repair people who still come to homes? If so, what is the minimum cost for such a thing?

DH seems to think that would be our best option for our TV that the sound stopped working (it is big, heavy). I think we are better off cutting our losses, and just buying another one.

cabby92
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Yes there are. The last couple of times I had the guy tell me it wasn't worth fixing with prices so cheap now.

Anniston
01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. I really couldn't find any in the phone book so far.

cabby92
01-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Our local repairman is the same guy that sells DirecTV and Dish but that may be because we're so rural.

Anniston
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I am in a medium sized city and have not found one yet. I am actually pretty happy about that because I would rather us just get a new one. This is so crappy because I am funny about things not being right. When something is broken it drives me nuts, and I am always desperate to replace whatever is broken. So, couple that with the general suckiness of not having tv, especially morning news, and I am going batty over here.

PLUS, out of all 365 days per year, there is one night that we absolutely look forward to a live sporting event. That is the opener of Supercross at Anaheim. It is a huge deal for us, and is tomorrow.

Eyore
01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Sears does repairs, even if you didn't buy it from them. Not sure what the cost but probably not cheap.
http://www.searshomeservices.com/shs/category/repair

BeanieLuvR
01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
You are better to buy a new one. We had ours repaired and by the time it was all said and done we could have bought a new one cheaper. In fact we did, to have a spare on hand in case it went out again. We ended up putting the extra one in the basement with only the wii hooked up to it. We already had one in the basement but this way we can do wii fit and watch tv at the same time. :D

cpbaby
01-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Have you researched it online? I have a Toshiba 56" rear projection TV that went ka-blooey last friday at 10 pm. I freaked because I had to go to bed and then be at work at 6 am on Saturday. I called around and had 3 people quote me from $400-$600 to fix it. I was very depressed and decided to just buy a smaller brand new one. When I got home, I researched it online and found out I can fix it myself for $120. I ordered the part and am picking it up tonight. :)

whatever
01-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah depending on the type and size etc. it might be cheaper to buy a new one. Esp. if its analog. However they might come out and give you an estimate for free and theres no harm in that.

baragabrat
01-08-2010, 06:43 PM
We got a 26" flat screen LCD LG brand tv last month for $338 including tax. Well worth the money. And it doesn't weigh a ton! I say cut your losses.

littlered1
01-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Our local repairman charges $50.00 - $80.00 just to look at it, and that is if you bring it to hs shop. With the prices of new tvs dropping so quickly, I wouldn't pay to get it fixed.
Do a little research and see what it is worth.
And also good luck when you are ready to get rid of it, I know around here no thrift store donation site will take it if it doesn't work. They plug it in and check. The garbage guy wont pick it up and the recycle place don't take them either.

Anniston
01-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, I thank you all for the replies. Our story has a very happy ending! DH found a guy who would come to the house...for $120 minimum. Luckily, it was late enough on Friday that he could not come. So we decided to just buy new. DH went to buy one and got it home, hooked it up and guess what? No sound.

He rebooted the digital cable box, and it worked! So, he rehooked the old TV and it worked!! So the new TV went back, and we are only out our time! I am so thrilled!!

I never thought that a cable box could lose signal for just the sound (the picture remained great). So, it is a good thing to know for the future.

diana_circe
01-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I know we have tv repair people here, but none make house clals as far as I know. When we took a tv in to get it fixed they told us it would be cheaper to just buy a new tv. Your best bet is to call around and see if any will come and if they do what they charge for the stop by.

gmyers
01-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Don't you just love it when your tvs working fine the night before. Get up this morning and I can't get it to turn on. It didn't act like anything was wrong with it last night. We got up this morning and our electricity was off. When it came back on the tv wont work now.

jasmine
01-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, I thank you all for the replies. Our story has a very happy ending! DH found a guy who would come to the house...for $120 minimum. Luckily, it was late enough on Friday that he could not come. So we decided to just buy new. DH went to buy one and got it home, hooked it up and guess what? No sound.

He rebooted the digital cable box, and it worked! So, he rehooked the old TV and it worked!! So the new TV went back, and we are only out our time! I am so thrilled!!

I never thought that a cable box could lose signal for just the sound (the picture remained great). So, it is a good thing to know for the future.

This holds true for just a regular coverter box (free antenna tv), I have had to turn mine off, then back on and the sound came back, maybe it had just been on for too long?!

Anyways, I'm glad your old tv works now, and you got to return the other one for your money back.

Anniston
01-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Don't you just love it when your tvs working fine the night before. Get up this morning and I can't get it to turn on. It didn't act like anything was wrong with it last night. We got up this morning and our electricity was off. When it came back on the tv wont work now.

I hope your television situation is better. They sure don't make televisions like they used to.

littlered1
01-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Glad everything worked out for you guys! Feels good to be able to take something back that costs so much doesn't it?

Anniston
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Glad everything worked out for you guys! Feels good to be able to take something back that costs so much doesn't it?

Oh, heck yes!! It was great!

whatever
01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Well glad it was a simple fix. And yes small things can cause problems!! So always check them first!!