PDA

View Full Version : Frugal cleaning

whatever
12-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Vinegar many uses at my houses.
Clean and deodorize a drain by pouring in 1 cup baking soda, then one cup hot white distilled vinegar. Let this sit for 5 minutes or so, then run hot water down the drain.
Clean the microwave by mixing 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave. Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Wipe clean.
Some carpet stains can be removed with a paste of 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar and 1/4 cup salt or baking soda. Rub into the carpet stain and let dry. Vacuum up the residue the next day. (Always test on an out-of-sight part of the carpet first).

Get rid of mildew, dust, and stale odors by wiping down walls with undiluted white distilled vinegar on a cloth or a sponge mop.
Cleaning windows just add about a 1/4 to about gallon of warm/hot water. They shine like new.

ahippiechic
12-27-2009, 05:47 PM
I use a lot of white vinegar for cleaning, but if I use it on glass, I add 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/8 cup rubbing alcohol to a Windex bottle of water. The alcohol makes it evaporate quickly so it doesn't streak.

Taterbo
12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
I have very hard water here and I use a lot of vinegar to help cut the calcium build-up in the coffee maker, tea pots, shower heads and in the dishwasher...My drinking glasses get cloudy after a white..I take super hot water that I haved added a cup or so of white vinegar too and soak the glasses for afew minutes..then allow to air dry to remove the cloudy film...I also add in a splash of vinegar to new jeans the first time I wash them to help set the color..Also works well to help remove product build up on hair when showering....

iluvmybaby
12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Another frugal way to clean, use vinegar and recycle your newspapers by cleaning your car windows, this cleans road acid and even the dirtiest of grime without wasting paper towels. If you can stand it, use vinegar in your window washing fluid in your car, it is a great FAST way to clear your vision, tho it is stinky.

Forgot to add: Frying fish or deep frying other oily, smelly food? Place around 3 tbs of vinegar on or by your stove and it will absorb the odor, no more fishy smell!

DreamWarrior
01-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Vinegar many uses at my houses.

Clean the microwave by mixing 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Bring it to a rolling boil inside the microwave. Baked-on food will be loosened, and odors will disappear. Wipe clean.

I never knew that!! Thanks so much for the tip!!! Thank goodness vinegar is so cheap!! LOL