PDA

View Full Version : 3, 4, & 5 ingredient cookbooks

buttrfli
12-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Does anyone have any of these? One of my friends was telling me about them the other day and I thought they sounded neat. I guess depending on the ingredients, they could definitely be a meal money saver.

Any thoughts?

Taterbo
12-26-2009, 02:19 PM
As a collector of older cookbooks I have some depression era cookbooks and these have a lot of simple basic recipes that use few ingredients...I really think the trick to this style of cooking is to look outside the box and be a bit creative and try a few things a tad bit different from time to time..Try a different starch with that chix..instead of rice add potatoes or pasta... Also experiment with flavorings and herbs to get a new twist on a meal...Some chopped pork chop instead of chix chunks in a white sauce over pasta..why not...

I also think using meat in enhance a meal instead of making meat the main focus of a meal is much better for you and a lot cheaper..can really extend the budget if done right...KWIM...

ahippiechic
12-26-2009, 04:48 PM
I got this one for my ex...

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-1-2-3-Ultimate-Three-Ingredient-Cookbook/dp/1584790407

When it arrives I'm going to borrow it, lol! :D

magickay
12-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I like to keep pasta on my shelf as a quick meal ingredient. Egg noodles and penne or rigatoni can be turned into a quick casserole.

Egg noodles + hamburger + mushroom soup = quick beef stroganoff
Can also use leftover turkey or chicken, or canned tuna; add a can of mushrooms, and/or peas, or mixed veggies.

Penne or rigatoni + bulk Italian sausage + jar of pasta sauce = quick baked casserole
(add mushrooms, cheeses)

Add seasonings, of course, to whatever quick dish you make. I'm pretty sure y'all know about these, but just thought I'd throw them in to the mix :)

DrGrin
01-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I found this in a magazine yesterday and thought some here might like to check it out.

www.supercook.com

I haven't checked it myself yet, but the magazine article said it was a search type site where you could type in ingredients you have on hand and it will give you recipes you can make with those ingredients.