PDA

View Full Version : clumsy 5 yr old grandson

buglebe
12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
My grandson is going through a clumsy stage. At least 5 times a day he hurts himself. He has always been one of those less agile children. I have 2 very agile grown children and one stiff one. LOL I don't know how else to describe it. My husband is stiff and I am limber. Anyway I was just talking to my grandson on the phone when the phone fell and he started crying. He fell out of the chair. No he isn't usually cut or bruised but yes he does sometimes. He just falls and hurts himself. Maybe it is because he is a boy. I do know my boy got hurt a lot but I had one girl who did too. I just feel sorry for the little fellow. While I was there last week we were on the porch and he fell off, only about 2 feet but hurt anyway. It just seems it's always something.

pepperpot
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Is he prone to ear infections? Sometimes that affects balance and equilibrium. It wouldn't hurt to suggest his being checked. Good luck.

gmyers
12-12-2009, 05:57 PM
I think some kids are just like that. I had nieces and nephews and kids I babysit for that were like that. One little boy would seriously hurt himself sometimes when he fell. Once he was trying to get off my waterbed and fell and hit his head on my nightstand. That scared me bad he had a knot on his head. He had just woke up from a nap and wasn't fully awake when he tried to get off the bed and fell.

swoose
12-12-2009, 06:07 PM
We have 3 boys. 21, 17 and 13. Not saying that they haven't all had their share of skinned knees and other assorted bumps and bruises, but the youngest should have frequent flier miles at the ER. He's also the one who is the most active in sports and is always the first one to jump right on in. But he's also just like me and could trip over dust on the floor. lol Boys!

Hetty
12-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree with pepper I would have his ears check and his eyes as well he maybe misjudging distances and such.When DD would start getting clumsy sure enough she would have a ear infection.

shadowcats
12-13-2009, 01:12 AM
I agree with pepper I would have his ears check and his eyes as well he maybe misjudging distances and such.When DD would start getting clumsy sure enough she would have a ear infection.

that will make them clumsy too, mine would misjudge distances and step off the porch or walk into walls lol ,,,,,,,,,

PreciousDarlin
12-14-2009, 02:03 AM
DD has been "accident prone" since she was crawling. She would fall flat on her face while crawling across the floor, and it continued and even got worse when she started walking. It was like she couldn't take more than two or three steps without tripping. A lot of her problem was that her left foot turned in severely and she would trip over it. As she got a little older, her foot straightened out some, but she STILL manages to fall off chairs and walk into doors. I'm hoping that now that her ADHD has been diagnosed and is now being treated that she will be able to focus more so these things happen less often.