PDA

View Full Version : computer help

ttistin
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
my laptop will not start. It was running fine yesterday. I shut it down last night when I went to bed and this morning when I started it has a screen come up saying it was not shut down right (which I did shut it down right)

Then a blue screen comes up saying that the registry can not load the hive. It is absent, corrupt or non writable. then says something about dumping the physical memory. Then it restarts on its own and does the same thing.

I tried starting it in safe mode, I can get to the screen that gives you the options but it goes right back to the blue screen.

I have a aspire 5515 laptop with Vista, Acer makes it. It did not come with a disk to reinstall anything. So I can not go that route.

Is there anything I can do that will not cost me anything? Dh has been out of work since a few days before Thanksgiving. We both just got hired on at a place today working the same shift! So we do not have income right now but would love to be able to fix it.

If anyone has a reboot (or whatever it is called) that I can use to fix it I would be happy to mail it back to you.

Any and all help is appreciated....Thank you!!

Licchl05
12-08-2009, 09:42 PM
how long have you had it? i have an acer desktop so i don't think my disks would work for you(and i'd have to locate them) but acer can send you them for free if you're in a certain time frame of owning the laptop.

buglebe
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
will that work? I thought that was a virus, my son's does the same thing. He hasn't been able to use if for a couple of months.

ttistin
12-09-2009, 06:57 AM
I have had it less then a year, I looked on the acer website and it said they could ship one to me but they cost $19.95, which I do not have right now.

I miss my laptop

ttistin
12-10-2009, 02:30 PM
No one can help me with this? Do you think it would fix it if I had the restore disk or is there something else I may be able to do?

Eyore
12-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like the blue screen of death. Google the blue screen of death for vista. Here is one I found, I'm sure there is lots more info out there.
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t3.html

SLance68
12-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Ok first take a deep breath and call Acer it should still be under the 1 year warranty. They will be able to walk you through removing and reinstalling Vista. I will warn you - you will loose everything on that laptop. I had to do this a couple of months ago with my work laptop that has Vista. I did loose about 2 months worth of accounting but it was worth getting the thing working again. I can also attest that I back up my accounting program EVERY day. Good Luck.

dinosmom
12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Sorry this is happening. I think yours should still be under warranty. I just got the black screen of death on my DS's laptop. I brought it in and the hard drive is dead! The tech said that they really only last about 5-6 yrs and his was 6yrs old and heavily used.

Good Luck!

Licchl05
12-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Ok first take a deep breath and call Acer it should still be under the 1 year warranty. They will be able to walk you through removing and reinstalling Vista. I will warn you - you will loose everything on that laptop. I had to do this a couple of months ago with my work laptop that has Vista. I did loose about 2 months worth of accounting but it was worth getting the thing working again. I can also attest that I back up my accounting program EVERY day. Good Luck.

Acer's weird they only give you the disks free for so long not the full year of the warranty.

I know this because i called like a month after getting my desktop and they said i called at the right time because another few weeks and i wouldn't be able to have gotten them free.

How stupid is that!

SLance68
12-10-2009, 07:58 PM
You won't need any disk. Call them. I had to do this with Dell they can walk you through it on the phone. You will be on a phone for a long time but they don't need the disks.

spoonman
12-10-2009, 08:51 PM
tap alt and f10 when you restart, this will restore it to factory defaults from the second partition on your hard drive( reformatts the hard drive) you will lose everything but atleast you will be able to use your computer when it is done. after this is done make restore disks like you are supposed to when you bought the computer :)
btw this wont void any warrenty or anything like that and is assuming that you have the original hdd with the second partition on it, which it should since this is what most computer manufactures do now instead of spending money on restore disks for every single computer.
just make sure you make the back up disks incase something happens to your hdd in the future where the alt f10 method would be usless

SLance68
12-11-2009, 11:10 AM
tap alt and f10 when you restart, this will restore it to factory defaults from the second partition on your hard drive( reformatts the hard drive) you will lose everything but atleast you will be able to use your computer when it is done. after this is done make restore disks like you are supposed to when you bought the computer :)
btw this wont void any warrenty or anything like that and is assuming that you have the original hdd with the second partition on it, which it should since this is what most computer manufactures do now instead of spending money on restore disks for every single computer.
just make sure you make the back up disks incase something happens to your hdd in the future where the alt f10 method would be usless

Call Acer and have them walk you through this incase there is a error or problem then they can correct it. If you do it on your own you are on your own at that point.

ttistin
12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
I was going through emails with acer, much faster then calling. I do not have the time to sit on hold forever lol. I finally got someone that actually read my message and told me about the alt+F10 thing. It worked. I did lose everything but I have been saving all my pictures to photo bucket so I did not lose any of those, they were more important then anything else. Thank you for all the help and advise.

Seeing how I did lose everything on here and did not have any of my bookmarks on the other computer (which I am now going to put them all in a notebook in case this happens again) Can anyone send me links to other sites I might have visited...I can not remember names of other places.

Thanks!!