PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroid Question PART 2

mariem
12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Okay...so I actually got back the paper results today...and as it turns out, my TSH is actually HIGH @ 6.0 (range is .450-4.500) but for whatever reason my Thyroxine (T4) level is normal at 7.1. (range is 4.5-12.0)

I was still fairly certain that I would be seeing Synthroid in my future, but my Doctor is now saying that I don't need meds. He calls this test "inconclusive" because of the normal thyroxine reading. Not that I WANT to be on medications...but was really hoping that the Synthroid would solve so many of my problems. :-(

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is my doctor correct, or should I be looking for a new one?

SLance68
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
You can ask for a referral to a Endocrinologist but the test results are what they are and seeing another Dr. isn't going to change the numbers.

mariem
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
You can ask for a referral to a Endocrinologist but the test results are what they are and seeing another Dr. isn't going to change the numbers.

I actually expect to use the same test results...I'd rather not pay for another test anyhow. Just wondered if it is common to NOT medicate when one result is so high....even if the other is normal.

BeanieLuvR
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I found this about your condition.

http://www.thyroid.org/patients/brochures/Hypothyroidism%20_web_booklet.pdf

Should patients with subclinical (mild) hypothyroidism be treated?
Subclinical (also called “mild”) hypothyroidism is now defined as a T4 in the normal range, but with a slightly high TSH of 4.0 to 10.0 mU/L, usually causing few or no symptoms. Experts don't agree on whether to treat people with subclinical hypothyroidism. Some doctors treat all of these people. Some treat only those who have symptoms. Some treat those with anti-TPO antibodies or a high cholesterol. Some do not treat at all, but keep testing patients to see whether their TSH rises higher.
There is no harm in treating patients with subclinical hypothyroidism, as long as they are given the correct thyroxine dose. Research is still needed on whether patients do better if they're treated and whether they're harmed if they're not treated. It's possible that even subclinical hypothyroidism can increase people's risk for heart problems.
People with a TSH in the high-normal range of 2.6 and 4.0 mU/L should also keep being tested to see whether their levels rise to the level of hypothyroidism.

I would talk to your doctor about it. If you are having a lot of symptoms then I'd want treatment. I know what it is like to be cold, constipated, tired, depressed, and having muscle aches from having an underactive thyroid. I couldn't believe the difference one little pill can make. If your doctor refuses to talk about it then I'd be seeking a second opinion.

buglebe
12-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I would talk to your doctor and if he won't treat you, I would go to another and another until I find one who will treat you. My doctor treated symptoms, of course, he used lab work too. Both my daughters had lab results similar to yours and I had to argue with their doctors to get them on meds. It made so much of a difference to me and to them.

spoonman
12-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Always get a second opinion about things like this. Dont try to force the treatment unless you are experiancing symtoms to justify the treatment. Maybe you should have another test done just to be sure that the resaults are correct. nothing is perfect in this world and there is always the chance that something went wrong in the testing.
I was hospitalized twice within a week before they figured out that I had hyper thyroid, well i was actually in the hospital for being paralized due to low patassium which turns out was a resault of the hyper thyroid, now due to the treatment I have hypo thyroid and am on the synthroid to replace the hormones the thyroid normally produces. I have not noticed any difference since being on the meds other than I can walk now lol.