PDA

View Full Version : 16 year olds first date

belle5691
11-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I have a really stupid question. What do 16 year olds do for first dates? Especially when they don't have a job and money coming in except for doing chores for mom?

I have a son with champagne taste wanting to take his first girlfriend out this coming weekend....but he is stretching it to even have a beer budget.

DreamWarrior
11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Have him make her dinner at your house, while mom and dad stay in their bedroom (so not too far away if something goes wrong with dinner), then a movie in the living room :) simple, easy (even if mom has to help cook) and inexpensive :)

buglebe
11-24-2009, 08:46 PM
When we dated a million years ago, we went to each other's houses a lot. And to the homes of other kids too. We also went to parks for picnics, usually double dating. We went to movies too , I think they were cheaper , even comparing inflation. We also went to drive ins where a group could get in. But the suggestion for cooking supper and a home movie was great.

MistyWolf
11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
My first date when I was 16 we went to his friends house .. they were a few years older and had their own apartment .. we sat there and BS'ed and than he took me home.

pepperpot
11-25-2009, 06:00 AM
Do you have a mall near you with a food court and a movie theater?

Not the 'cheapest' but not a lot of 'pressure' neither.

belle5691
11-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all of the ideas! He wanted to do it up "right" including a dinner out, and then a movie, but that was going to end up being about $50 or more. I hated telling him I can't handle that much right now.

I wish the mall was closer, We live in Lee's Summit, MO which is a suburb of Kansas City.....but the closest mall is still 30 miles away or more.

I finally suggested to him a place near our house called Pappi's. Its a pizza place with a game room inside.

I liked the idea of dinner here and a movie. But our apartment is so small Im afraid they would be totally uncomfortable right now.

Thank you again for all the ideas. It is very much appreciated.

MistyWolf
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I think the pizza place is a great idea! .. If they want to see a movie they can always come back to your place afterwards and watch one.

Anniston
11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
The pizza place with the game room sounds fun.

So, is it hard for you to believe that your son is dating? I dread that day with my son, which is why I had to ask!

belle5691
11-25-2009, 07:08 PM
The pizza place with the game room sounds fun.

So, is it hard for you to believe that your son is dating? I dread that day with my son, which is why I had to ask!

Yes, it is awful to realize he is old enough to date! It is hard to know that so much of his thoughts and feelings are on this girl right now. I know there is the potential there for him to be hurt and don't want to see that. It's a difficult learning experience for me.

iluvmybaby
11-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Pizza parlors usually have good food, music and video games, and they are cheap!

Anniston
11-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Yes, it is awful to realize he is old enough to date! It is hard to know that so much of his thoughts and feelings are on this girl right now. I know there is the potential there for him to be hurt and don't want to see that. It's a difficult learning experience for me.

Thank you so much for honestly responding to my question. My son already has had a case of the "I like her" and that scares me to no end. I swear, I am going to need more guidance regarding teen dating than he will!

belle5691
11-26-2009, 05:08 AM
Thank you so much for honestly responding to my question. My son already has had a case of the "I like her" and that scares me to no end. I swear, I am going to need more guidance regarding teen dating than he will!

I know exactly how you feel. I didn't date anyone until I was 18 and out of school. Thank goodness I have a best friend (guy) who at the time of high school and college did his share of dating, and is being very open with Josh. Thank God my friend is more sensible now than he was then. LOL. What scares me with Josh is he doesn't seem to do anything halfway---if he is interested he jumps in with both feet and looks back later. :-(

PreciousDarlin
11-27-2009, 02:31 PM

DS (he's 9) has already had a few (VERY) mild cases of the "Oh, I like her"s... What scares me more is one, somewhat severe case of "I can't stand her!". Being older, we all know that if you "hate" a lil boy/girl and pick on them all the time, it's a major crush... I see the possibility that she is the one he will date when he gets older and I personally think it makes the possibility of him getting hurt exponentially worse.

As for dating... even now, at age 28, I still do a lot of the dinner and movie at home/hanging out type dates. Not necessarily because the guys I date or I can't afford it, but simply because it's more relaxed and for me it's just easier. I didn't really "date" in high school... if I was seeing someone, it was a lot of just hanging out in my parents living room (and ONLY the living room) or hanging out at a mutual friend's house. I almost liked it better that way.

belle5691
11-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Tonight was it! It went very well. We all met her for the first time. Along with her parents.

We went to a Missouri Mavericks Hockey game and took Josh and her along with us. It was a lot of fun. She was a really cute, pleasant, nice girl, and she treats my son well, so Im happy, at least for now, LOL

Anniston
11-28-2009, 06:06 PM
That is so cool that it went well and that a good time was had by all.

Only_save
11-30-2009, 12:16 AM
On my 1st date I invited him home and cooked dinner together.