PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook your turkey?

DBackFan
11-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Every year I say I am going to try a new way, tell us how you do yours so we can get more ideas. I love hearing all the varaitions. :)

Heidi
11-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I've only cooked one and it was in the oven (forgot to take the bag of "goodies" out of the hole). My dad normally cooks and he has a Traeger grill that he cooks it on. This year I am buying one of the big deep fryers and we are frying it. Jesse Jones made it look so yummy on the news last night. Love that guy!

krisharry
11-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Stuffed and roasted in the oven, boring but DH and the kids would freak out if they didn't get it that way.

magickay
11-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Not smoked this year...we've done that for so many years, but this year I'm going to use an oven bag. Low fuss, and fairly easy, and will come out moist...as long as I can keep my husband from cutting into it too soon, which he almost always does.

speedygirl
11-21-2009, 09:12 PM
I roast it and stuff it with French meat stuffing (pork, potatoes and a number of spices, etc...)
I did a turkey a few months back using Alton Brown's brine method and it was the best I ever had. The family likes the traditional stuff on Thanksgiving and I'm happy to oblige.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

DreamWarrior
11-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Hmmm... bake it in the oven??? LOL

Really tho, we usually bake ours and use part of a recipe that we saw on good eats... you heat the oven to 500F, rub the turkey with veg oil, pop it in the oven for 30 minutes, after 30 minutes, lower the temp to 350, make an aluminum foil "breastplate" for the turkey, place it over the turkey breast, and cook til the internal temp is 170f (approx. 2-3 hours)

OMG the bird is SOOOO moist and tender..... we have done this for 5 years or so now and we love it..will never go back to the basting every hour method ever again!

Vee030473
11-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I've used baking bags,and the turkeys always come out moist and delicious. I've also just covered it in foil and baked it,Ive never basted and it comes out perfect. We have water smoked also,we are doing that this year to one of the turkeys,using applewood chips,the other is being bagged and baked. In 19 years Ive yet to have a dry tasteless turkey. I also oil the turkey and make my own rub depending on the cooking method.

SLance68
11-22-2009, 07:41 AM
First remove all the stuff inside. Rub down outside with butter. Stuff the cavity with onions, celery and apples (all cut up into chunks). Put in oven bag and place in roasting pan upside down. Bake until done - no basting or other stuff. I do take it out and let it rest about 20 minutes before cutting it. I will admit I make the ugliest turkey on earth but it tastes really good.

lameduch27
11-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I had never made a turkey and I was watching Tyler's cooking show on the food channel one year close to Thanksgiving, and he made a sage butter in the food processor and rubbed it all under and on the skin of the turkey...tried it and now I always have to make the turkey...it was sooooo moist and juicy!! Man! I am ready for some turkey!!

Licchl05
11-22-2009, 08:59 AM
I haven't made a whole turkey, I make the turkey breasts, and I put it in the rotissery oven thing i have. I put garlic and poultry herbs under the skin, it's yummy and moist :)

DBackFan
11-22-2009, 10:42 AM
I have baked many a turkey and always in the oven but I have done it different ways. Last year we tried the brine soaking and really didn't notice much difference and it was a hassle. I usually do a brown in bag with butter and seasonings but have even heard of doing it in a paper bag!

sunniekiss
11-22-2009, 10:47 AM
By going to my sister's house :)

loris520
11-22-2009, 11:43 AM
I inject ours with a Herb & butter seasoning then we Deep Fry it. It comes out soooo good everytime.

SLance68
11-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I have baked many a turkey and always in the oven but I have done it different ways. Last year we tried the brine soaking and really didn't notice much difference and it was a hassle. I usually do a brown in bag with butter and seasonings but have even heard of doing it in a paper bag!

I have baked them in a brown paper bag also but I prefer the oven bags they are just easier and I always forget to get a paper bag from the store.

Jenefer3
11-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Sometimes I make mine the 'furnace blasted' way. I didn't know if it would taste so great when I first tried it but it's actually good. If you like the skin, it's not the way to cook it lol.

DreamWarrior
11-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Sometimes I make mine the 'furnace blasted' way. I didn't know if it would taste so great when I first tried it but it's actually good. If you like the skin, it's not the way to cook it lol.

furnace blasted??? wth is that?? lol

rlynn411
11-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm all about easy. I buy turkey breast. Throw it in the crockpot with apple chunks, onion and celery. Frees up time to deal with all the other things that need done.

Jenefer3
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
furnace blasted??? wth is that?? lol

It's a very fast and easy way to make turkey.

speedygirl
11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
I've never heard of furnace blasting before. I just Googled it.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=355819

cathych
11-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Deep fry.

Hetty
11-22-2009, 09:24 PM
dont cook it or eat it but cooking it upside down is how mama does it.

msmom79
11-22-2009, 09:34 PM
i get up very early and put my turkey in the oven,i slow bake mine on 250 degree's for about 7 hours,then the last hour its baked at 350 degree's

i find baking mine at a lower temp,makes it tender and juicy.next.............