PDA

View Full Version : Oprah is finally calling it quits

whatever
11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Harpo President Confirms Oprah Ending Talk Show Run On Network TV
1 hour and 39 minutes ago

Oprah Winfrey will announce on Friday that her popular daytime talk show, "The Oprah Winfrey Show," will end its run in 2011, Tim Bennett, the President of Harpo, announced in a letter released to ABC affiliates on Thursday.

"Tomorrow, Oprah will announce live on 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' that she has decided to end what is arguably one of the most popular, influential and enduring programs in television history," he wrote in the letter, obtained by Access Hollywood. " The sun will set on the 'Oprah' show as its 25th season draws to a close on September 9, 2011."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Oprah's Legends Ball

Bennett said he was sending out the letter to keep the affiliates from being surprised at tomorrow's announcement.

"Before she speaks to her loyal viewers, we wanted to share her decision first with you - our valued partners for more than two decades," he wrote.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: The Queen Of TV Talk -- Oprah Winfrey

And he urged the stations to "share this news this evening with your colleagues and viewers."

"Oprah's personal comments about this on tomorrow's live show will mark a historic television moment that we will all be talking about for years to come," he added.

Just a few weeks ago, a rep for Oprah said the TV queen planned to make an announcement by year's end about whether she was planning to make a leap from her current daytime talk show to her previously announced cable channel, the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN).

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Beijing Olympians Visit Oprah

No details were available about the rumored move to OWN.
And IMO its about time!!

ahippiechic
11-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Yay!

pepperpot
11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Public office next?

Kelsey1224
11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm sorry...but I love Oprah. However, I'm sure she will continue to do something.

whatever
11-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Public office next?
God lets hope not. lol

I'm sorry...but I love Oprah. However, I'm sure she will continue to do something.

YEARS ago I actually did like her. But then she started showing her (IMO) true colors. She would make comments like is money great all the while saying she knew what it felt like to be poor. I don't think she could live a day on a average americans salary. She became full of herself. She thinks she is some kind of god. Again this is my opinion.

justme23
11-20-2009, 05:41 PM
I hate to defend her cause I can not stand her... but I do believe she knows what it is like to be poor. I'm fairly certain she grew up w/ basically nothing and built this empire that she has now. You can't deny, even if like myself you don't like her, that she does a lot of good w/ her money. I try not to watch her show unless it is the one at Christmas where she is giving everything away but I used to watch it every day.

3lilpigs
11-24-2009, 07:42 AM
However, I'm sure she will continue to do something.

Of course she will. She's got her own NETWORK over on cable. It's called OWN. (How convenient......Oprah Winfrey Network).

So she's really not leaving......just changing channels. LOL

And she'll continue to rake in even more money, because she OWNS it.

3lilpigs
11-24-2009, 07:49 AM
I hate to defend her cause I can not stand her... but I do believe she knows what it is like to be poor. I'm fairly certain she grew up w/ basically nothing and built this empire that she has now.

She may have been born poor, but she was making pretty good money by the time she was in her 20's. (not like now, but she wasn't ''poor''). So I'm sure she's forgotten a bit of what it's like to actually want/need something and not be able to have it.

Once you start bragging about the $400 pr. of Jimmie Cho shoes you have on that day, IMO you've forgotten.

You can't deny, even if like myself you don't like her, that she does a lot of good w/ her money.

yeah, but too bad she has to brag about every nickle she hands out.:rolleyes:

ahippiechic
11-24-2009, 08:07 AM
She used to be poor, but I think she's forgotten, she just got too full of herself. I used to watch her show when it was new because it was different than most and I could relate to some of the issues the shows featured. Now every time I hear her voice I want to change the channel.

jasmine
11-24-2009, 08:17 AM
well, I always thought it was great that she didn't have sleezy shows, you know, like, who's my baby daddy ? LOL
They always seemed to be informative and interesting, in a tasteful way. She's had some really interesting people on her shows in the past, and I've tuned in sometimes only when I heard or saw that it was something I enjoyed. TBH, I've always enjoyed what I watched of her.

Kelsey1224
11-24-2009, 08:58 AM
She will only make money on your new network if people watch it. And, if they watch it, it is because so many people like her.

Also...there is nothing wrong with 'owning' a network and making money. It's called the American way!

As for bragging about what she does with her money, people haven't a clue how much she does and how much she gives which isn't spoken about. Many of the things she does 'brag' about are those things which she does to inspire others to do as well.

Only_save
11-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Whatever said & done I love her shows.

I am sure she has something up her sleeve.

Only_save
11-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I love her shows.

I am sure she has something up her sleeve.

And she will come back with a Bang.

Only_save
11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
I am going to miss her big time.

But I am sure she has something up her sleeve.

She will come back with a Bang..

cathych
11-30-2009, 04:59 AM
well, I always thought it was great that she didn't have sleezy shows, you know, like, who's my baby daddy ? LOL
They always seemed to be informative and interesting, in a tasteful way. She's had some really interesting people on her shows in the past, and I've tuned in sometimes only when I heard or saw that it was something I enjoyed. TBH, I've always enjoyed what I watched of her.

actually, there was a time when she did all that; I remember one distincly that she had on about beastiality. And I also remember the show where she said she was changing her format and was not going to talk about people's problems anymore. that was the days before she had celebs on every day.