PDA

View Full Version : Fans rally behind Cat Stevens after comeback boos

Jolie Rouge
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Fans rally behind Cat Stevens after comeback boos
Tue Nov 17, 11:17 am ET

DUBLIN (AFP) – Fans of the musician formerly known as Cat Stevens rallied round Tuesday after he was booed by a small number of people at the first gig of a long-awaited comeback tour.

A small number of people walked out when Yusuf Islam, staging his first tour since 1976, interrupted his performance in Dublin on Sunday night for a 40-minute presentation of a new London stage show, media reports said.

Fans, some of whom slow-handclapped and chanted "We're bored," were apparently angry because they wanted to hear more of him singing his old Cat Stevens hits, including "Wild World," "Moonshadow" and "Father and Son."

Making light of the incident, Islam -- who also played songs from his new albums -- quipped: "Now I know how Bob Dylan must have felt" -- a reference to the infamous incident when a fan blasted Dylan as "Judas" for turning electric.

And fans have since then deluged his website to defend him.

"I know there is no excuse for stupid, rude behaviour. But in a way the crazys just wanted all of you all of the time... So I hope you saw past the few bullys, and heard us shouting your name," wrote Ailish Faulkner, from Dublin.

"I was also at Dublin concert and apologise for some of the barbarians," wrote Jamie Young, adding: "I look forward to your musical but also hope you can bear to appear and sing some old memories in Ireland again."

Tom Nelligan added: "I really hope Yusuf doesn't think that we're all like those ignorant people in the audience... I was in the front row and it was fantastic."

A spokesman for the singer -- who is to play three more dates in Birmingham, Liverpool and London this month and next in the "Guess I?ll Take My Time Tour" -- did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The 61-year-old was born in London as Steven Georgiou and had hits in the 1960s and 1970s as Cat Stevens, before changing his name and retreating from the pop stage, devoting himself to education and philanthropy.

He gradually returned to music in the 2000s and released the pop album "An Other Cup" in 2006, his first in 28 years, under the name Yusuf, followed by a new album this year, "Roadsinger."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091117/ennew_afp/entertainmentirelandbritainmusicyusuf;_ylt=Aqf116q F1T0T5BbEEfmvWsGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNwamRvZnRmBGFzc2V 0A2FmcC8yMDA5MTExNy9lbnRlcnRhaW5tZW50aXJlbGFuZGJya XRhaW5tdXNpY3l1c3VmBGNwb3MDMTAEcG9zAzcEcHQDaG9tZV9 jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNmYW5zcmFsb HliZWg-