PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving....guest or host?

pepperpot
11-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Are you hosting or are you a guest?

If hosting, what are you making and for how many...?.

If guest....are you bringing anything?

Spill....;)

cathych
11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm going to Crackerbarrel.

newwiccan
11-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I think we're going to a friend's house but I'm not sure yet.

Jenefer3
11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Usually it's just the kids and me since our closest relatives are in Pennsylvania and Maryland. We do have friends that are like family who live here and sometimes we go over to their house.

Heidi
11-07-2009, 05:10 PM
I invited myself to my mom's. I'm sure she doesn't mind having her kids home.

BBELEAZAHR
11-07-2009, 05:46 PM
I host it every year, I like the option of leaving the country though.... my husband would be all for that lol. I usually make the traditional boring turkey and a ham. I tried to change things up and serve mexican food last year and it didnt go so well with the extended family they dont like change hehehe! We usually have about 30 people or so over with both of our families.

cSoReNSoN
11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Typically I host, but this year I'm going to my mom's house. I'll be bringing my homemade vegetarian lasagna and vegetarian stuffing as it was requested. It's also my main entree as I'm a vegetarian. The requisite ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, veggies, pies, cranberry sauce, salad, rolls and so forth will be on the menu.

I cannot recall the last time I didn't cook the holiday meal as even when I visited family on the west side of state, I still cooked the majority of the meal. hahaha Who am I kidding, I'll probably be cooking at my mom's! In all fairness, I enjoy cooking, so it isn't much hassle for me.....

Licchl05
11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I usually switch every year- because my mom and dad don't get along. If it's the year my dad comes up I make dinner, if he's not coming I go to my moms.

ahippiechic
11-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Usually it's just us 3 plus my baby-daddy, lol! All of our relatives live back east. After dinner tho, we take leftovers to some friends.

PreciousDarlin
11-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, dinner is usually down at my grandmother's house - or in a nearby location where the entire family can actually FIT. However, it seems that for the past few years, my mother and I have been the ones to fix most of the food. My aunt makes mashed potatoes and my grandmother will fix a few things (even after being asked not to), but Mom and I are responsible for most everything else - green beans, sweet potatoes, corn, rolls, etc. We even get my dad to deep fry a turkey (it's so much better than putting it in the oven!). A few family members and/or friends will bring desserts or drinks, but that's about all the help we get. So, I'm not really sure which category we fall in to - guests or hosts?

speedygirl
11-07-2009, 07:16 PM
I host and I usually have 25 people. I have my parents, siblings, their spouses and kids. I love cooking for everyone and I love having all of the leftovers. :)

buttrfli
11-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Just us. I like it like that too :)

Might invite DH's ex wife, but no one else.

nightrider127
11-07-2009, 07:57 PM
We'll be going to Randys place this year. He cooks an awesome turkey, way better than I can fix. I know he'll have stuffing and mashed potatoes, who knowes what else. I did buy the turkey today because I found an awesome deal on turkeys at Walmart. I will probably make deviled eggs and that will be about it. I am hoping that he makes this awesome two layer pumpkin pie again, that is one of my favorite pies.

Shann
11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
It will be just us for the afternoon (as our family is like 1600 mi away) and then I'll be by myself and am going to friends for dinner. I haven't quite decided what I'll take but for the two of us I make a whole spread w/ turkey and most the fixins. :) We love the 2 hour turkey so that will be be making an appearance. :D

Char
11-08-2009, 01:15 AM
I believe I will be hosting this year... turkey breast w/dressing, smashed potatoes, hot rolls, mac & cheese, and some kind of green veggies. A pie... apple or pumpkin, not sure yet. It will just be myself, the husband, my Mom and her sister (both are widows now), and, my sister and her husband. There may be a few others that stop by, not sure yet. I have all kinds of nephews, but, they all have a home and women...lol, not sure if they will be searching out dinner or not.

Char
11-08-2009, 01:18 AM
This whole thread is making me hungry !!!!!!

justme23
11-08-2009, 01:37 AM
There was no option for undecided. It depends on whose house they decide to do it at this year... there is one house wanting to host it and I would rather not be in their home so we don't know if we will be guests or do it alone yet.

diana_circe
11-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm not sure what we're doing yet. I'm hoping my sister is cooking, but really we will probably just stay home and have a regular day.

krisharry
11-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I host but since family is far away is just me, DH and our 3 boys, one of our friends, and a few stray employees and stragglers (people who have no where else to go).

I am making 2 turkeys, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, greenbean casserolle, creamed corn, cranberry sauce, glazed baby carrotts, acorn squash, homemade macncheese, salad, pumpkin bread, assorted types of rolls.

Dessert-assorted pies 3 apple, key lime, cherry, and pumpkin. I will also do at least one cheese cake, and a texas sheet cake.

There will probably be about 10 of us when it is said and done and leftovers for days. LOL

SLance68
11-08-2009, 10:07 AM
It depends on my Mom. She wants to go to her Mothers in Alabama if she is up to the drive I will make my Brother go with us. My Cousin Kelly & his wife usually are the host since they have the largest house. We usually have 30 to 40 of us all there - all my Grandmothers kids, Grandkids, Great Grandkids and the 2 Great Great Grandkids. Needless to say lots of us and lots of good food and catching up.

dinosmom
11-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I am a guest and I am bringing a salad. I think the hosts figure a salad is pretty easy and I cant screw that up! LOL

stresseater
11-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I will be cooking at mama's house for DH, our kids, pa and my grandma. I imagine it will be pretty solemn since mama died on black friday last year. This will be the first time grandma has been in the house since she died. My baby bro his wife ad boy will be down for Christmas and we will be doing Christmas dinner at mama's then too but SIL will be here to help in the kitchen.

ElleGee
11-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I am a guest. This year dh's brother in NJ is hosting.. My mother does Thursday and Friday so that way if we can't make it on Thursday she has dinner on Friday too.

buglebe
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
We are going to one of our daughter's. I will cook the turkey and most of the other food.
Our other daughter will drive here and probably not cook anything. Our son may or may not bring anything, his wife is working a 12 hr shift so won't be there.

galeane29
11-09-2009, 06:26 AM
We usually host but my in-laws just bought a brand new house and want to host Thanksgiving in their new home this year. Unfortunately I have to work that afternoon and they live an hour away from us so we will be doing Thanksgiving lunch instead of dinner this year.

catdance
11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
I am invited but bring lots of stuff to my host.

ttistin
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
We decided to go ahead with Thanksgiving here at our house, but we are not asking anyone if they are coming again. So whoever shows up gets to eat LOL

I am making a turkey, ham, smashed taters and gravy. Dressing, veggies, mac n cheese, might make green beans and ham in the crockpot also (for something different ) deviled eggs, cranberry sauce. Everyone is supposed to bring their own drinks.

I am going to make an eclair cake, chocolate pudding pie, Apple pie and pumpkin pie. Others are supposed to bring this but seeing how I can't depend on them showing up I am going to make just to make sure we have them.

I am trying to get my stepmom's mothers gravy recipe, omg it is so good. I will be the only one to eat it but that is ok...more for me!! I want to try to make the dressing we made at the school in Alabama. It was very good. I am going to try to toss stuff togeather and see how it comes out before the big day.

teenap
11-11-2009, 07:43 AM
we go out for dinner

Unicornmom77
11-12-2009, 10:18 AM
We used to always go to the in-laws, well since we are no longer together and I cant afford a Thanksgiving dinner, we are going to the free dinner here its hosted at Apple bees, I am sure it will be nice, plus no clean up, but no left overs either...

sunniekiss
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
None of the above. I decided to take the holiday season off from my family this year.

mabby89
11-12-2009, 10:36 AM
I have no family or friends here, so it will be me, dh, and the kids.

Eyore
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I'll be cooking, if anyone comes out it will probably just be my sister in law and maybe my daughters boyfriend.