PDA

View Full Version : stupid bank!

Licchl05
10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Today my neighbor and I were at the laundry mat washing our winter blankets, and low on quarters. I went to the ATM outside of a Dollar Bank and pulled out some cash. I then went into the bank with a $20 bill and asked if I could please have 2 rolls of quarters. I was then asked if I had an account there, to which I replied no. I was then told that since I didn't have an account she couldn't exchange my $20 for the quarters...HOW STUPID!! I have never heard of a bank doing this.

3lilpigs
10-29-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm pretty sure all banks are like that.

They'll either tell you no, or charge you a fee.

Didn't the laundromat have a change machine??

Licchl05
10-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I've never had that issue @ PNC or Citizens bank *shrugs*

Yeah they had a change machine but since I wasn't sure exactly how much we'd need the rolls would be neater for the left over quarters, kwim?

justme23
10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
I was gonna say I agree w/ pigs... but I can't honestly remember ever being in a situation like that. It probably is their policy, though, since they are next to the mat... they probably get ppl in and out of there every day looking for change.

whatever
10-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm pretty sure all banks are like that.

They'll either tell you no, or charge you a fee.

Didn't the laundromat have a change machine??

Yep around here its the same. No account no helping you......
Or they charge you a fee. I really don't understand what the difference is.
But I noticed it around here about 2 years ago.

jasmine
10-29-2009, 05:17 PM
it is their policy, but still.... you used THEIR ATM machine, but yet, you can't use them to get quarters...

Licchl05
10-29-2009, 05:21 PM
it is their policy, but still.... you used THEIR ATM machine, but yet, you can't use them to get quarters...

EXACTLY! I paid fees to get the money, like $4 total in fees, and they wouldn't give me quarters...pissed me off.

nightrider127
10-29-2009, 05:30 PM
I think all banks are coming up ways to charge more fees. A couple years ago, we were charged by 5/3 to cash a check that was written on an account with them. They charged us because we didn't have an account with them.

Anniston
10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Around here, as long ago as the mid-nineties they were like that. They won't give change or cash change in unless you have an account there. I really don't understand because one would think that if they help someone out, it may eventually lead to that person doing business there.

Licchl05
10-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I really don't understand because one would think that if they help someone out, it may eventually lead to that person doing business there.

My thought exactly! This situation left a bad taste in my mouth, I will never utilize Dollar Bank for checking/savings or lending.....EVER!

msmom79
10-29-2009, 06:51 PM
we have 4 banks in my small town and they all do the same ,unless you have an account with them-here's what i do if the bank i go to is closed,i go to the nearest car wash ,put my cash in and get quarters,just an idea for ya next time.

Jenefer3
10-29-2009, 10:40 PM
Banks are like that around here, have been for awhile. If they aren't going ot exchange it for me, it's not a big deal, maybe an inconvenience, but not a huge deal, especially if there's a change machine somewhere.

Taterbo
10-30-2009, 12:21 AM
So much for customer service....

Most of our car washes here no longer give coins..they use tokens ..that are only good at the car wash...You put in bills and are given tokens in exchange.

delSol
10-30-2009, 06:51 AM
I think all banks are coming up ways to charge more fees. A couple years ago, we were charged by 5/3 to cash a check that was written on an account with them. They charged us because we didn't have an account with them.

that happened to us recently - we had a check that was gonna be split so it was easier to just go cash it at the bank it was drawn on - cost us $5.00 to cash it...

sunniekiss
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I get what you are saying but I guess banks have to be careful with so many conterfiet bills being passed around now-a-days.

littlered1
10-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Next time just go to a local store or gas station. They usually have an electronic safe right next to them on the floor behind the register and can give you change without it being an incovenience to them.

tunisia
10-30-2009, 04:15 PM
wow, that's crazy especially since you used their atm. It's not like you are cashing a check for goodness sake; it's a product from the US Mint! and they have those little marker things to check for conterfeit so should be no excuse. I usually get my quarters at fith third window in my local kroger. very convenient because I can use the atm there then step up to the window.

However just a couple of weeks ago I had cash on me, so went to the drivep-thru of US Bank just a block from me and they gave them to me with a smile to boot! go figure.

Urban Cowgirl
10-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Its because the bank pays for their change orders. It actually costs them money. That being said when I was a teller if someone just wanted a couple of rolls I would do it as a courtesy, but if the wanted a lot I would charge a fee.

3lilpigs
10-31-2009, 08:01 AM

What does 5/3 mean?

specailk3342
10-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Fifth Third Bank